1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Finally own a crew

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 09:22 PM
RunninD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And while she's laid up, she wont see the shipments arrive! " title="Evil Grin" class="inlineimg" border="0"> "No honey I've always had that. It's just been buried in the barn. "

Old 03-12-2015, 09:23 AM
highntight
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just read threw your build for the 3rd or 4th time, Just wanted to say what a fantastic job your doing. Very clean work...

Old 03-13-2015, 08:58 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I sure hope this surgery puts most of the pain out to pasture...she's been hurting way, way too long.

RunninD: I try not to let the wife in the barn cause she has learned that shiny, clean tools are probably new tools. I did hide the Dodge donor truck for about 3 months before she spotted it. I should have wired a Ford grill to the front and she would have been none the wiser.

Anyone have any pics of aluminum door or roof panels inside a bump? I was also thinking about trying to find some switches or gauge panels out of an aircraft. Old school though...nothing too new.

I've seen the old Dodge "War Wagon" that was built a while back and the switches and dash are pretty cool.

Similar to this...just not quite that far.

I'm thinking of leaving the dash relatively stock other than F600 gauge assembly but build a custom center console.

Looking for cool ideas!

Old 04-22-2015, 08:24 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Hey everybody, wanna hear the story of undoing the last 2 years worth of work?

So I finished boxing the frame and was admiring how well it turned out. I happened to look down the length of the passenger side and noticed the frame was kinda kicked outward in front of my new engine crossmember. Oh CRAP!!! that doesn't look anything like the driver side.

I can't believe I missed this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turned out he truck had been hit and there was a shallow bend that happened to be where I positioned the new CM. A few strong tools, heat, and some BFH tapping it is now good as new. Oh, I forgot to mention I had to cut the CM so I could straighten the passenger side.

So, when I straightened the frame back out...naturally...the CM which is now in 2 halves don't line up no more. And the engine mounts are wrong too.

I guess while I'm here I might as well fix it right, right? At least now it's probably straighter than new.

Sooo , as she sits. It has no cm or engine mounts and I'm trying to decide between fabbing a complete cm or trying to find another gigantic piece of rectangle tube.

Also, I've decided to move the engine back 2 inches. This will require some firewall surgery but it will give me plenty of space for all the stuff I need to fit behind the grill. I'm keeping that grill!!!!

The wife's surgery went pretty good although if there is a side effect to a certain pain killer...she will have it 100%. She gets wore out pretty quick and cant be up for more than 2 hours without resting but getting better slowly. Pretty happy that all of that is behind us.

My barn time is severely limited but I'm still at it..sparingly. I got to go out this morning and put the smack down on a nice turkey this morning. Not much better than that!

Old 04-22-2015, 08:45 PM
spikinfool05
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn thats ruff. glad your getting it worked out.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:30 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Sorry to hear that grinner. But at least you're making it better than you thought. You're fixing what you didn't know was broke.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:52 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Mark first of all I am so glad to hear your wife is doing better.

I am so sad for you over the truck frame damage oopppsss. The upside is you are moving the engine back. I'm really digging that idea ! Now what year, model and wheelbase is that frame. I ask because I have some old frame specs books and I can see if I have that spec. Also if you would like I could stop by and give you a hand squaring it up. Trust me I'm pretty good with a big hammer and I have BFH that Thor would be proud to have.

I'll look for '72 F350 CC SRW frame specs tomorrow for you.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:38 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Thanks guys, Kuzz its a 72 F250 CC short wheel base.

I'm pretty sure everything is good now. My buddy has been a body guy for along time and has done alot of frame work on trucks. We measured the frame from front to back in a cris-cross method and nothing was more than 1/8. The front where the bend was is now less than 1/16th off.

If anything it might have just a slight twist on passenger side but I dont think it will effect anything. My 79 frame has a bunch of twist where the frame gets wider behind the cab so I'm pretty confident I got it fixed correctly.

I would like to have a copy of those frame specs though.

Dang, I'm kinda wanting to see this "Mighty Thor Hammer".

Old 04-25-2015, 09:52 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
Thanks guys, Kuzz its a 72 F250 CC short wheel base.

I'm pretty sure everything is good now. My buddy has been a body guy for along time and has done alot of frame work on trucks. We measured the frame from front to back in a cris-cross method and nothing was more than 1/8. The front where the bend was is now less than 1/16th off.

If anything it might have just a slight twist on passenger side but I dont think it will effect anything. My 79 frame has a bunch of twist where the frame gets wider behind the cab so I'm pretty confident I got it fixed correctly.

I would like to have a copy of those frame specs though.

Dang, I'm kinda wanting to see this "Mighty Thor Hammer".
I'm glad to hear you straightened out and you have a buddy that is a body guy help. Because straightened a frame and squaring it is harder then some might think. I went through my old Blackhawk frame books and I have no spec sheets for any full size Ford or Chevy. It looks like someone claimed them years ago. Bummer

I'll take a photo of my BFH next to a regular sledge hammer and I'll post it. It is a hammer a old guy gave me 30+ yrs ago for helping him. I have yet see a man that can hold this hammer straight out with his arm and lift it. Thor could do it! Maybe ?? LOL

Old 04-25-2015, 06:28 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
I'll bet that hammer shakes the molecules real good...

Old 04-25-2015, 07:00 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Great work Mark. If the frame was bent do you think the cab or anything else got tweaked also?

Hey Ed, post a pic of that BFH. The biggest sledge hammer I ever used is a 20 lb. I can't imagine using anything bigger.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:06 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Great thread grinner, I looked it over during lunch.
I liked....
the 1k dodge
the little trailer to move the cab
the paint sign
the drummer sculpture - way, way, way cool
boxing the frame
and all your work on the truck.

The grinder wound gave me a pucker factor of 10.

I hope your wife is feeling better.
Nice work!

Old 04-27-2015, 11:47 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
I'll bet that hammer shakes the molecules real good...
Bigger hammer more energy transfer always seems to help to getting the steel molecules to move. If not alittle heat, pressure and a big BAM with a BFH will get it done.

Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
Great work Mark. If the frame was bent do you think the cab or anything else got tweaked also?

Hey Ed, post a pic of that BFH. The biggest sledge hammer I ever used is a 20 lb. I can't imagine using anything bigger.
Rob my BFH is a short handle 16 lbs and I can get a pretty good swing with it. When I get a photo of it I'll post it up.
I've never seen a 20 lbs sledge hammer BUT I want one !!

Old 05-02-2015, 07:14 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad the wife's surgery went ok Mark.
Sorry to hear of the work up in smoke.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:10 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Ya know, when I was mocking up the radiator I noticed the holes seemed more than a bit off but the dang alarm in my head didn't go off.

Thanks to everyone for the wife wishes...it's been slow but steady recovery but I've managed a little time to work on the 79. Mainly cause that crew mistake really ticked me off. I did snag some metal scraps from the local fab shop for the new one.

I just need some motivation...maybe I'll throw in the AC/DC disc tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Finally own a crew