1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Finally own a crew

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:11 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
Ya know, when I was mocking up the radiator I noticed the holes seemed more than a bit off but the dang alarm in my head didn't go off.

Thanks to everyone for the wife wishes...it's been slow but steady recovery but I've managed a little time to work on the 79. Mainly cause that crew mistake really ticked me off. I did snag some metal scraps from the local fab shop for the new one.

I just need some motivation...maybe I'll throw in the AC/DC disc tomorrow.
Tora Tora CD. Also good for those long drives at night to keep ya awake.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:26 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Welp, the crew is finally back in the barn!!!!

Took forever to sort out my 79 which got 44's,5:38's and a 4 speed swap and a wrecker bed swap that I had to stretch the front and then move the wheel wells forward...sheesh. Now back to the important one.

I was having my doughts about getting all those coolers up under the grill. The frame thing actually is gonna work out for the better. I'm going to get all the coolers, radiator and intercooler mocked up and THEN worry about where the engine sits. If I get into the firewall then so be it.

Now if I can just locate the parts.Cant seem to find the core support bushings

Updates coming soon...I hope.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:20 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow...that truck is a beast now.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:49 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Hey Pitcrw6, I shot you a PM a while ago asking about those panels for your dad....whatever happened with that?

Old 11-05-2015, 08:37 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
Hey Pitcrw6, I shot you a PM a while ago asking about those panels for your dad....whatever happened with that?
I sent u a PM.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:11 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Bout ready to order that radiator. It will be a 31x19 dual pass.

You can see I have issues by the steering box. I will gain 1.750 in front of the IC which should be plenty. Which created the steering box issue. There is only so much space so...whatcha gonna do?

Lower IC supports.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:49 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sweet wrecker bed and tires on the other truck. Im a big fan of old ford wreckers. Good to see your getting some progress done on the crew. I like how you framed out the IC on the core support. Keep the work coming.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:58 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
The big ole engine has been hanging for 3 weeks so I better get those mounts made. Gained a bit of clearance for the T/C . Still waiting for Ron Davis to get going on the radiator.

Snagged a P Pump engine for $550. get some miles on it but I figured the price was way right. The guy just cut the frame to remove it. That stock x member on the dodges look really wimpy compared to what we all build to replace the Ford ones.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:21 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
That's a good deal on the p pump cummins are you going to rebuild it before using it? Mounts are turning out great I wish I would have went with the stock cummins bushings when making mine now that I look back on it.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:39 AM
highntight
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking good sir, I cant help to keep scrolling back up for just one more look at that bed. that looks awesome on there....

Old 01-25-2016, 04:58 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
P pump engine is just for parts. I have a 1st gen in there now. Haha , yea this is my "do it better" opportunity, which isn't so bad if it wouldn't have been forced.

That bed is pretty cool huh!

Just out of curiosity: did either of you have any issues with the down pipe for the exhaust? (space) I can't seem to locate mine and my passenger side engine mount is going to be pretty short compared to the driver side. I dont think the engine could go too much further to the left.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:35 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Have you tried any test fitting of a downpipe? I have my engine offset to the passenger side to be centered up in the trans tunnel if you look at the firewall it's not centered with the cab. I did a quick look over on my downpipe room before I pulled my engine back out. I don't have much room to work with at all. I used a 4" piece of duct work and it wouldn't fit between the trans and cab floor/mount so my original plans of a 4" downpipe are out so I would need to use a 3" one but need to do something about all the heat being so close to stuff. I thought about doing a fender exit but not sure if that would be the best thing to do or not. I'd like to see what others done for this.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:56 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
I was thinking I would need a quick turn down as there is a hole in front of the trans adapter that I can go through and then turn toward the rear and then back up fairly quickly to get above the trans X member. No way it's going beside or above the adapter.

Maybe I should buy some parts and see how that's going to work.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:20 AM
highntight
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is also sitting to the passenger side to align with the trans tunnel. I think all of our passenger side motor mount is quiet short on that side. Im 90 percent sure I used a 2nd gen down pipe and it was 4" for sure and had plenty of room side to side but not so much the other way. down pipe wanted to hit the seem of the fire wall and where the floor starts. pretty easy fix since I had side to side room. cut a 5" piece of pipe in half about 8" long. And gave it a little squeeze to oblong it a little. Ended up giving me a little more then an inch from the firewall. Then wrapped it with heat wrap.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:35 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
I WANT ONE!!!! I just don't think it will clear the engine mounts. I would hate to do those again for the 3rd time.

Makes me wonder what else I can drive off that gear. Hmmmm?

Possible exhaust solution...maybe. Figure it out later.

Have a browse through this thread...great info and links....

Cummins swap parts thread - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Quick Reply: Finally own a crew