Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-22-2012, 03:11 PM
New User

Zecca93 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Air intake 2011 SD V8 6.2l K&n or Air aid

K&N 77-2582KTK - Intake Kits, Performance Intake kit

AIRAID Intake System For 2011 6.2L Ford Superduty F-250 / F-350 - SVTPerformance

Im looking for an air intake that will add horse power and will give more of a rumble when you lay down the pedal. Ive been thinking about getting the air aid but then i just came across this K&n one. Please let me know what you think.

also will either one increase mpg?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Increase mpg, not in my experience as I didn't notice a difference. A custom tune helps to correct the MAF and help get the full potential of the intake.

I have the K&N Intake on my 04 6.8l V10. I currently have the exact Airaid intake in your link that I am doing work on for a customer. The Airaid kit is very nice with a nice big filter and a nice thick intake tube, nicer than my K&N IMO. I would go with the Airaid. You will notice more intake noise with either kit.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
I think by now that Ford (and other manufacturers) would put quite a bit of effort into designing air intake systems that achieve maximum fuel economy while providing adequate engine protection as well.

I doubt that any after market intake system will increase your fuel efficiency no matter what they claim.

Noise is a different story though...if you want to hear the engine a bit more than any of those choices should do the trick. They look pretty equal to me, they both have the potential to ruin a MAF sensor...does the 6.2 have one of those near the filter element?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Moved to the 6.2L V8 forum.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Senior User

RAPR is starting off with a positive reputation.
RAPR
The MAF is very close to the air filter. It could cause problems with oiled filters if oil is applied to liberally.

The only improvement a CAI will give you is more noise (which seems to be what you are looking for). To get any real HP improvement from a CAI, which will still be very little, is with a custom tune. The factory intake already provides sufficient flow for optimum combustion. Only if you start moving into the region of forced induction is a CAI required, as the factory intake will then restrict the necessary flow.

If you are to go with a CAI, be careful with your filter element choice. Many of the filter companies, namely K&N, promote their free flowing design...but there is a great sacrifice in "fine partical" filtration. I don't find it to be a good trade off to have slightly less flow restriction, in the risk of engine damage. Am I saying you will experience engine damage with K&N, no, but it doesn't stack the odds in your favor. I ran my 01' SD 5.4 with a K&N CAI with no problem until I sold it at 85k, but for my 11' I did my homework this time.

I ended up swapping out my filter element with a AEM Dryflow filter, as I was looking to get filtration greater than the factory filter....while still getting slightly less restriction. I also perform the modification posted on this forum by 5StarTuning:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...er-duty-2.html

Good luck in whatever you decide. Just remember you won't really see much difference with a CAI other than noise under the hood, and be careful of your filter element selection. Also, try to find a CAI that truly is a CAI and not a SRAM intake....pulling in HOT under-the-hood air is not a true CAI. The fully enclosed system 5StarTuning is looking into is your best bet.

2011 F-250 CC - 6.2L, 4x4, 3.73, Lariat Ultimate Pkg, ReadyLift 3.5"Fx3.0"R lift kit, 295/70-18 Terra Grapplers
'Capital Campers', give your go some show
Old 02-22-2012, 04:08 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
I agree with RAPR...and here is the proof..........
Recently, Testand Corporation conducted an ISO standards test on automotive air filters which can be viewed at this link: http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrol...r-testing.html. All I can say is this explains in detail the reason for

(Arlen) SPICER wrote,

“Now that I am not doing the tests and my objectivity is not necessary, let me explain my motivation. The reason I started this crusade was that I was seeing people spend a lot of money on aftermarket filters based on the word of a salesperson or based on the misleading, incomplete or outright deceiving information printed on boxes and in sales literature.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:55 PM
New User

Zecca93 is starting off with a positive reputation.
little late getting back to the thread but i put in the airaid intake with a throttle body spacer and i love it!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:05 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecca93 View Post
little late getting back to the thread but i put in the airaid intake with a throttle body spacer and i love it!
You must be a paid spammer to make a statement like that...........in addition to the oems, Ford racing publications & ISO 3rd party tests, it is just impossible to make a statement like that without laughing......the TBS units came out in the late 80s for EFI....they were proven (even by the mags at the time such as Hot Rod, etc) to be absoultely phoney in their claims fir EFI applications....demonstrated on chassis, engine dynos & at tracks!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:29 PM

2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold
I had a K&N in my 2000 V10, and we used them in all our desert cars as well. My dad got paranoid when I showed him in the intake tube and how it was lined with dust. I love the ease of cleaning the filter and never had any oiling issues in the 10 years I had it, but dust does get past the unit.

Matt
2011 F350 - 6.2 CC, LB, 4.30s, Lariat Ultimate pkg, FX4, Amp steps, Lockpick, AC LC6i, JL HD900/5, JL 13TW5, JL C5-570's, Bilstein 7100 stabilizer, Rancho RS9000XL's, Leveled w/ 35" Toyo M/T's and 5 Star tuned
**Sold - 2000 F250 V10, 6.5" Pro Comp, 37" Toyo MT's
Old 03-16-2013, 04:27 AM
Senior User

bikerman2299 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a complete AFE intake on my '11 250. I went with the dry filter setup since the MAF sensor is right behind the filter. The only real noticeable difference is sound when the pedal is smashed. Other than that, its nice and mostly quite on the highway. As for MPG increase, I haven't seen any change. I still get 11-12 around town, and 14 on the freeway.

Semper Spes, Numquam Quieti

Old 03-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Senior User

Chinookman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerman2299 View Post
I have a complete AFE intake on my '11 250. I went with the dry filter setup since the MAF sensor is right behind the filter. The only real noticeable difference is sound when the pedal is smashed. Other than that, its nice and mostly quite on the highway. As for MPG increase, I haven't seen any change. I still get 11-12 around town, and 14 on the freeway.
So, other then spending money what was gained?

I also had K&N in my 93 F-150 4x4 and dust always got in. Many miles later I learned it polished the cylinders so well that it no longer had any git up -n-go....

The only after market filter I've used since is a Donaldson filter. Ford's AIS filter kit using Nano-technology that my Blackstone Lab results confirm. It did not get me better MPG's nor turn my gray hair black and reduce my belly fat but knowing the turbo in my old 7.3 is healthy is good enough for me!....lol....If Ford had the Donaldson filter as an after market for the 6.2 like they did for the 7.3 that would be the one to run.

It's the same technology they use for the M-1 Abrams tank and when it comes to air they do suck!....
6 turnin,2 burning CH-47C model Super 'C'
Geronimos
Radio Free Texas
Old 03-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Senior User

bikerman2299 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, I am still waiting to put the tuner on I got from Mike at 5Star. I also live in, well my truck is in northern CA right now with the parents, because I'm still in Afghanistan. Once I do put the tuner on, and get everything settled, I hope to see an increase in mileage and overall power output. Northern CA isn't a dusty environment like some other places. So I don't really have to worry about polishing my cylinder walls.

Semper Spes, Numquam Quieti

Old 03-24-2013, 11:19 AM
Junior User

GSSF17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet View Post
I had a K&N in my 2000 V10, and we used them in all our desert cars as well. My dad got paranoid when I showed him in the intake tube and how it was lined with dust. I love the ease of cleaning the filter and never had any oiling issues in the 10 years I had it, but dust does get past the unit.

I got the K&N full system for my truck- got it as a gift from the wifey. Kinda hard to kick it back. Anyway, I solved the lack of filtration problem by putting an AEM dry filter in place of the K&N. I have put AEMs on the last 2 vehicles I have had, and it flows better and traps fine particles well.

As far as the seat of the pants dyno and manufacturers claims, I don't hang my hat on the "an intake give you X amount of horsepower" thing, either.

Without a tune (which I will eventually get), the intake does not do much, if anything. End result? More pleasant when you hammer the pedal down, and nicely compliments my exhaust. That's worth something to me
Old 03-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Senior User

Chinookman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSSF17 View Post
Without a tune (which I will eventually get), the intake does not do much, if anything. End result? More pleasant when you hammer the pedal down, and nicely compliments my exhaust. That's worth something to me
That's what I was looking for, cool changed out exh. or the stock just sounds that much bettah?
6 turnin,2 burning CH-47C model Super 'C'
Geronimos
Radio Free Texas
Old 03-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Junior User

GSSF17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinookman View Post
That's what I was looking for, cool changed out exh. or the stock just sounds that much bettah?

I did a muffler delete. Kept the ffactory piping and resonators, just simply eliminated the muffler. Good sound without being too loud. Sings nicely when you put your toe in it!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:37 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8

Tags
2011, 62, 62l, 772582ktk, air, f250, f350, filter, ford, gas, intake, kn, miliage, problems, sale, tricks, v8