Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Irate Diesel T-4 and S467 Install

Old 02-22-2012, 02:16 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Irate Diesel T-4 and S467 Install

Alright guys,

So its been awhile and a lot has changed on the truck. In the fall I purchased a set of 250/200% injectors from FFD through Irate Diesel. Along with the injectors, I purchased a T-4 turbo set up, complete with T-4 flange, up-pipes, new plenums, and CAC piping, as well as a 2 part custom down pipe. Along with this, I purchased a S467 turbo with the 1.10 exhaust housing, and Borg Warners EFR and ETT wheel's on it. It took me awhile to get the time to do the install as all the parts arrived right around Christmas. As for tuning, I decided to go with a 6-position chip with tunes from Cale and Tyrant Diesel.

Since we all love pics, and living vicariously through others modding of their trucks, I took a few during the install. I will do a mini write up in here with the pics I have, and will add to this when I install the Twin Terminator HPOP's I have sitting on my table and Irate Diesel Fuel system.

For reference, here is a before pic:

DI Regulated Return, Riff Raff HPx and Inserts, Home-brew AIH delete, Turbonetics Ball Bearing Turbo, Afe Stage 2 intake.

I dont have any pics of the injector install, but that happened at the beginning of January, and I ran the 250/200's for a few weeks with the TN BB. Instant spool up and very little smoke, was a very fun set up, but back pressures were sure to be a bit out of hand.

Here is the top of the engine torn down minus the fuel bowl and HPOP. No more turbo, pedestal, or stock plenums.

The tear down was pretty straight forward, I'd say the hardest part was getting to the front bolt on the passenger side plenum. Also the Hi-Flow outlet on my turbo did not want to come off the exhaust housing, so we had to wrestle the whole thing off of the pedestal and up-pipes without taking it apart. There was a bit of rust, and it took some convincing with both a pry bar and a hammer. Up-pipes were not in great condition, but only had a few minor leaks. However they pulled straight out of the baby's butt so I know they cant have been totally sealed.

Heres a close up of the intake runner with plenum removed. If you are doing anything like this, really take your time cleaning everything up really good, makes it a lot less likely for random particles and dirt to go into the intake.

Passenger side plenum removed

Grey Ford RTV applied around the intake runner prior to putting the new plenum on.

One plenum on, you can see some of the brake cleaner pooling in the valley from cleaning up everything. A wire brush and a tooth brush, along with plenty of blue shop towels helped a lot on the cleaning

Passenger side RTV applied

We had a little bit of difficulty with removing the freeze plug in the valley for the oil return. Put a wood screw in it to keep from it falling down into the engine, unfortunately, when trying to remove it, instead of simply rotating in the hole like it was supposed to, it decided to drop straight down. Good thing I had the vice grips on it. DO NOT DROP THIS PLUG INTO THE HOLE, ESPECIALLY WITH A 3" WOOD SCREW IN IT, IT CAN BE A PAIN TO GET BACK OUT!!! (ask me how I know )

Finally got it out with some help from Konagrown (Bryant). Thanks again Bryant for all the help on this install and the injectors.

Freeze plug removed

The T-4 flange and foot as well as the up-pipes are pretty straight forward. Bolt down in place of the stock parts.

Here's a shot of what is underneath the pedestal all cleaned up before putting the new parts on

Got the new turbo in, it barely fits, but clears everything by just a hair.

So far I love this set up. Drove from Eastern WA to Sacramento, CA last week and the truck is an absolute joy to drive. After getting all the boots tightened down, she builds boost starting at about 1700 RPM. I have a 6-speed so spool up was a big importance when I was trying to pick a turbo and Jake at Irate was able to put together a great combination. Pulled all the passes between Sacramento and Ellensburg going up I-5 and then I-97 without passing 950* EGT and averaging about 70-75 MPH the entire time.

Best news though, is the fuel economy. I did this same drive back in December on my old set up, and averaged 16.5 MPG. That was driving the speed limit with fuel mileage in concern. It was hand calculated, unloaded truck other than myself and my two dogs. I measured this over all fill ups during the trip, and averaged the individual MPG of each fill up and came up with the 16.5.

This time around though, on the trip down with significant boost leaks, I got the same 16.5 which I was very happy with. On the drive back up however, going faster, and driving more hills because I returned up I-5 instead of I-97, along with about 2 hours of stop and go traffic in Portland, (poor planning on my part) I averaged 16.9 MPG. I realize that a .4 MPG increase may not seem like much, but considering I was hammering on it the entire way back I am convinced that I could achieve much better MPG if I wasnt so excited with the new set up!

Stay tuned for pics and write up of the Big Oil and Fuel install, and eventually Studs and Springs.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:19 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great, picked a good setup.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:29 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
Thanks Alan,

Figured it was about time to get a write up done, just so happened to be over here so there it is. Might put one up over on PSA as well.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:34 PM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
Great job on the new set up.Looking forward to more pics.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:54 PM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice write up!! Thanks for posting pics too

Old 02-22-2012, 09:03 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
No problem at all.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:43 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Very nice. Great pics.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:39 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you say wish list! Wow! Glad I got to see the pics. Puts the t4 a lil more in perspective. I think I need to start working on my compression issues!