Computer Chips & Tuners  

remove chip, dealer recalibrate, retrain ECU...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 03:46 PM
tankhead
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel I have a slight pinging at low RPM's starting out. It goes away at about 1100 RPM's. Could it be due to this Jet chip and the Mods. I'm ready to pull this thing out to see how it will perform then. I know, I know. Diablo Delta. Just got some other "stuff" goin in it right now. But w/ the reasonable price of the Diablo, right after I get this lift thing out of the way, its a go. I use Chevron gas w/ 88 octane. I need to take my truck in for its 48,000 mile service. Would like to have them recalibrate the the ECU but I don't know if it is a good idea w/ the Granatelli MAFS installed. Any help at all is greatly appreciated. Oh ya, anybody interested in a Jet chip for my application. REAL CHEAP!

Old 04-24-2003, 04:34 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the ping happening at part throttle or just near wide open?

The Granetelli is probably causing the truck to run too lean, giving you the ping, especially when combined with a chip. Whenever you change the MAF you need have the computer programmed with it in mind, via a custom programmed chip. Usually, but not always, if its just a MAF I'm programming for there will be no custom fees. The dealer recalibrating is probably not going to take care of the problem.

Old 04-25-2003, 09:42 AM
tankhead
Elder User

Originally posted by webmaster
Is the ping happening at part throttle or just near wide open?

The Granetelli is probably causing the truck to run too lean, giving you the ping, especially when combined with a chip. Whenever you change the MAF you need have the computer programmed with it in mind, via a custom programmed chip. Usually, but not always, if its just a MAF I'm programming for there will be no custom fees. The dealer recalibrating is probably not going to take care of the problem.
Ya know, it really happens when the engine gets good and warmed up. Then on take off it gives a ping for about 500 rpm's. Til about 1200 rpm's. Then on about every shift upon initial acceleration when the clutch is released but not as bad as takeoff. It doesn't do it all when the engine has not warmed up fully yet. I mean once u get the rpm's up there to 1500 it runs and sounds great. Especially at WOT! U just hear a big SWOOOSH of the engine gobbling up air. No ping at all.

When the engine gets good and warmed up it sits right at 600-650 rpm's. I know thats almost right. Before all the mods it used to sit right at 700 rpm's. I tried jacking up the idle scew a tad last night. No luck. I know I need that custom chip! It's really starting to become a priority for me. If I mainly ran this engine on the highway i wouldn't worry "too much". But I live in a rural town and right now practically all my driving is stop and go. It seems when the weather was cooler I didn't notice it too much but now that its gettin warmer (been in the 80's) I notice it more. I'm goin to call youir shop today and get that price on a custom chip. This is rediculous! This V10 deserves better! Thanks for all your help Ken! Oh ya, I don't get what u meant by "Usually, but not always, If it's just a MAF I'm programming for there will be no custom fees." Are us saying u can program these? Or programmed to work w/ a custom chip, or is it vice versa? Laters.

Old 04-25-2003, 03:05 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

Here's the problem, taken from Jet's site:

"All tuning is designed and calibrated for 91 or higher-octane fuel. In some cases 89 octane may be used."

Looks like Jet is no longer tuning for 87 octane.

Sometimes if we're just programming for a MAF, Diablo doesn't always charge us a "tick" fee (I guess it depends on their mood at the time? ). If its an MAF combined with something else they always do.

Old 04-25-2003, 05:02 PM
tankhead
Elder User

Well I called them they said I could get away w/ 88. Jeez, ppls will say or do anything to make a sale. I don't mind using Chevron 91 here in town, one of the few that carry 91 octane. And i was using 91 for a long time but stopped. Will switch back and test it out. Thanks Ken! Hey, sent a message on Motorhaven about the Delta. Don't worry about the price, I just didn't scroll down far enough. I think can figure it out. Can I ask u about creating the profile for an account. What account? Can I create an account and u can hit my debit card for a downpayment on this Delta and switch. I need to put $$$ somewhere to make this a priority. Is the username and password the same as FTE's. If u would like me to I can call u or use motorhaven's message form.

Maybe u better send back an e-mail on the price of that Delta. I'm still kinda confused on 1, 2, or 3 stages w/ custom programming. 1 to 2 no problem, but do i need the three stage?

Last edited by tankhead; 04-25-2003 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:12 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

You don't need an account. You can shop and checkout without it. The accounts feature is so you can create an account and not have to retype everything if you're a frequent shopper.

Very few people need three stage chips for gas applications.

Old 04-30-2003, 03:32 PM
tankhead
Elder User

Here's the problem, taken from Jet's site:

"All tuning is designed and calibrated for 91 or higher-octane fuel. In some cases 89 octane may be used."

Looks like Jet is no longer tuning for 87 octane.

Sometimes if we're just programming for a MAF, Diablo doesn't always charge us a "tick" fee (I guess it depends on their mood at the time? ). If its an MAF combined with something else they always do.
Thanks Ken. That helped and I only used 90 on my last fuel stop. Still gonna get rid of this Jet though!

Do you recommend or are u able to reprogram this Granatelli MAF in conjunction w/ the Diablo Delta to get the best performance? If u are I don't mind sending it in to you. Laters.

By the way aren't u up in the Denver area. I have an uncle up there who often gets tickets to games right behind the benches, now its the Rockies, from his vendors. We've made trips up there before and its been a while. Anyways, see ya.

Old 05-01-2003, 10:18 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

Actually it goes the other way around, you don't calibrate the MAF, instead the chip is calibrated for the MAF sensor.

We're in the north Altanta, Georgia area.

Old 05-02-2003, 09:22 AM
tankhead
Elder User

Cool. thought u were in CO. I'll mail the Custom Programming Sheet this weekend to the 422 PO Box there in Lilburn, GA.

Old 05-02-2003, 10:24 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

You can also fax it to 415-366-3212, make sure you use the highest (finest) resolution the fax machine supports.

Old 05-27-2003, 02:20 PM
tankhead
Elder User

You can also fax it to 415-366-3212, make sure you use the highest (finest) resolution the fax machine supports.
OK. I got $$ secured. Gettin ready to fax this Custom Programming Sheet. On the Larger Mass Air Meter just puttin Granatelli clibrated for stock. On the new gear ratio. I will be regearing next year, I don't think 3.73's and 37's is gonna work, so I imagine I will need to reprogram then? On how does your vehicle run.... Should I pull the Jet chip now and let it reset to check for any lean/rich or other conditions? Laters and Thanks!

Old 05-27-2003, 10:15 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

Yes, especially since the JET richens up the mixutre towards top end.

Old 05-28-2003, 12:27 AM
tankhead
Elder User

Will pull the chip first thing in the morn and call u tomorrow for the order.

Old 05-30-2003, 05:28 PM
tankhead
Elder User

WOW. Julie called me today to ship. That was fast! Patiently waiting for delivery. Will probably have to get w/ u next week on installation ?'s. Have a great weekend!

Old 06-02-2003, 05:46 PM
tankhead
Elder User

I'm sure everything is OK. But, checked to see if the transaction went thru last week and it hasn't yet. I thought Julie ran it and got an approval. The card # I gave Julie expired as of 5/31 so let me know if u need the new card #. Thanks!

Quick Reply: remove chip, dealer recalibrate, retrain ECU...