EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Ecoboost towing at high altitudes

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:08 PM
tmehrkam
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ecoboost towing at high altitudes

Anyone been over the Continental divide towing with an EcoBoost.

Looking at replacing a 6.8 V10 with an EchoBoost. The 2001 V10 has $200,000 miles and still going string but I would like better Fuel Mileage.

The only time I wished I had a diesel was at high altitude approaching 10,000 ft. Wondering how the EchoBoost does.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:21 PM
amascio
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive over the continental divide on I10 going from Houston to Arizona in my wife's EB 4x4 Platinum - no problems whatsoever! Doesn't even down shift. 6800 ft is the highest I've had it; zero difference from sea level.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:39 AM
tmehrkam
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I found a test on the internet.

They took two identical trucks. One with an 8000 lb trailer and another unloaded. They drove from Denver Co to LA.

http://blogs.cars.com/files/mileage-chart.pdf

Very interesting. Good performance for the EchoBoost. Milage was about the same as my V10 loaded but Great unloaded.

2011 Ford F-150 Review by Mike Levine

Old 02-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Skoiv
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My ecoboost doesn't seem to be affected by altitude.... I'm very happy with performance over the mountains with a loaded 8000 lb trailer. The power is the same at seal level.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skoiv
My ecoboost doesn't seem to be affected by altitude.... I'm very happy with performance over the mountains with a loaded 8000 lb trailer. The power is the same at seal level.

I just traded in my 02 7.3l yesterday. Have a 2012 F150 Eco Boost, 3.55 diff 2wd scab on the way. (be here next Friday). I don't tow a big fifth wheel anymore. But I do tow a 6600# boat a number of times a year. Living in phx towing to Powell and to Tahoe this year. This truck from what I am reading will handle the drive and tow no problem.... But how about so real world info fromsomone. Who has towed various terrain etc. already. Thanks

Old 03-03-2012, 01:47 AM
Skoiv
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Fire Rooster... I haven't experienced any downfalls by towing in various terrain.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:21 AM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Skoiv
I have Fire Rooster... I haven't experienced any downfalls by towing in various terrain.
Does the truck lug down at all? I have been so spoiled with my diesel. I never tow over 65mph. But it has been nice to pull hills at 65 and not slow down at all. With the 6600lb boat towing the mountains I am hoping the Eco is gonna be just as sweet.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:50 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Fire Rooster
Does the truck lug down at all? I have been so spoiled with my diesel. I never tow over 65mph. But it has been nice to pull hills at 65 and not slow down at all. With the 6600lb boat towing the mountains I am hoping the Eco is gonna be just as sweet.
I wouldn't see why it wouldn't...it is well within its towing range and has all that torque!

Old 03-03-2012, 05:54 AM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Love what I have seen, read and test drove. My new truck is on the way. Just cannot tow for a 1000 miles and wondering while waiting.... Thank you for the help and input. I think I am going to be really happy with my choice

Old 03-03-2012, 05:56 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Love what I have seen, read and test drove. My new truck is on the way. Just cannot tow for a 1000 miles and wondering while waiting.... Thank you for the help and input. I think I am going to be really happy with my choice
A long year from now I will be faced with that choice too...ever an ecoboost or a 6.7 PSD. It is hard to separate need from want!

Old 03-03-2012, 06:02 AM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
My wife made that decision for me.... She loved my 7.3. But hated the newer SD trucks I was test driving. The F150 EB is the next best thing. I just don't get women some times. She has a great car that is hers, my money my truck, yet she still dictates what I buy! Lol.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:26 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
My wife made that decision for me.... She loved my 7.3. But hated the newer SD trucks I was test driving. The F150 EB is the next best thing. I just don't get women some times. She has a great car that is hers, my money my truck, yet she still dictates what I buy! Lol.
That's marriage for you...my wife is on her 4th car since 2006...forst it was a Honda accord, then she got a Maxima, then hated the maxima and got another honda accord, then she wanted a sporty car and no has the Infiniti G37 coupe.

Meanwhile I still have the 2001 Sequoia so it is MY TURN when I can afford it!

Old 03-03-2012, 06:48 AM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Lol I hear ya... Btw was not bad mouthing my wife. She is wonderful. Just stating she was so spoiled with the ride of my 7.3 with all the goodies I had in it.... She didn't like the ride of the newer trucks that were stock. She wanted another plush ride for the few times she is ever gonna ride in it.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:29 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Lol I hear ya... Btw was not bad mouthing my wife. She is wonderful. Just stating she was so spoiled with the ride of my 7.3 with all the goodies I had in it.... She didn't like the ride of the newer trucks that were stock. She wanted another plush ride for the few times she is ever gonna ride in it.
Yep neither am I...I spoil my wife...but it is soon time to spoil myself!

Old 03-11-2012, 08:15 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey Fire Rooster, I have towed my camper (6500 gvwr) and the truck bed loaded down with everything but the kitchen sink. First time i towed it was up to the White Mountains of New Hampshire and the truck didn't even break a sweat. Only on a couple occasions it down shifted to 5th gear going up steep grades but still never went higher than 2200 rpm's. i had the cruise set between 60-65mph. It did hit 3500 rpm once only to get around a tractor trailer!.You will be completely satisfied!! I am trading in our camper for a new 32' bunkhouse with a 7200lb gvwr and cant wait to hook her up for the first time!

Quick Reply: Ecoboost towing at high altitudes