Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Large Truck
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Freshman User

TreesnFords is starting off with a positive reputation.
f700 fuel solenoid problem

My F700 shuts off sporatically while driving and now is stuck in my driveway. I replaced the fuel solenoid already and that was not it. When I hold the solenoid down manually it will start and run no problem. Also, I am not getting any power to the plug on the solenoid. I think it is either the ignition switch on the column or a relay somewhere. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the solenoid/ignition? or any ideas of where to go next.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Posting Guru

nevrenufhp has a good reputation on FTE.nevrenufhp has a good reputation on FTE.nevrenufhp has a good reputation on FTE.
I dont think they even had a relay in the circuit. If it quits running randomly, then it's likely got a bad connection somewhere.
98 Jetta VR6
82 Mercedes 300SD, fuel screw adjusted.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:42 AM
Senior User

rummur s.c. is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
what year is this truck? which engine?
Old 02-22-2012, 05:00 AM
Freshman User

Its a 1987 with the 6.6. I did look high and low for a relay, maybe thats why I cant find it.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Posting Guru

nevrenufhp has a good reputation on FTE.nevrenufhp has a good reputation on FTE.nevrenufhp has a good reputation on FTE.
If you want to throw a part at it for sake of reliability, go with an ign switch. If that's not it, then at least you have peace of mind. You could run a new 12 or 14ga wire from the ign switch or fuse panel for testing purposes.
98 Jetta VR6
Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Freshman User

went to order a new switch through ford. they told me it may be the relay. come to find out there is one mounted up under the glove box, of all places. took it out and it looks like it may be burnt on the power terminal. i will have a new one tomorrow. its not an exact replacement (discontinued) but the new one has instructinons on how to wire up correctly. we will see. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP GUYS! i will let you know how i make out!
Russ
Old 02-25-2012, 04:26 PM
New User

ralph123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreesnFords View Post
went to order a new switch through ford. they told me it may be the relay. come to find out there is one mounted up under the glove box, of all places. took it out and it looks like it may be burnt on the power terminal. i will have a new one tomorrow. its not an exact replacement (discontinued) but the new one has instructinons on how to wire up correctly. we will see. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP GUYS! i will let you know how i make out!
Russ
I may have a few ideas if that don't work
Old 02-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Old School Hot Rodder

85lebaront2 has a great reputation on FTE.85lebaront2 has a great reputation on FTE.85lebaront2 has a great reputation on FTE.85lebaront2 has a great reputation on FTE.85lebaront2 has a great reputation on FTE.85lebaront2 has a great reputation on FTE.
william.a.vose
If it is like the F700 I helped a fellow with there are two really weird looking relays on the top of the firewall. One is a start relay, the other is a run relay. One is powered when ever the key is on, the other is powered while cranking. The fuel solenoid works the lever on the side of the injection pump. It has three positions, off, run and start. What I did was use a Bosch relay in a fog lamp kit to replace the bad run relay on the truck, that was 5 or 6 years ago.
http://www.oldschoolhotrodder.com
"growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional"
Old 02-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Freshman User

Well, I put the new relay in that Ford sold me. It started right up with no troubles. I am taking the truck out tomorrow for a 60 mile run. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for all your advice.
Russ
Old 02-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Posting Guru

Now that it runs, you can adjust the fuel screw and timing.
98 Jetta VR6
Old 03-03-2012, 05:50 AM
Freshman User

Many miles on it since the relay change. That was definately the problem. I would like to attempt to adjust the pump for some more power, she is very sluggish! I did notice that one of the bolts on the exhaust side of the turbocharger is missing and I should fix this before I start messing with the timing and pump. What do you think?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Posting Guru

Bosch MW pump fuel rate adjustment (DT360, DT466, Ford 6.6 & 7.8, and a few others) - YouTube
That's the fuel screw, and how easy it is to do.
Yes, you should replace the bolt, just in case exhaust starts leaking out from added fuel. Not a life & death thing to do, though. You can certainly do the screw & timing. The timing is almost identical to the DT466 in my other video. The difference being, you find your timing marks(about 13-15*), loosen up the 4 retaining bolts on the gear, then rotate the engine back to your desired advance(17-19*), then tighten it all back up. The 7.8's actually have a peep window like the DT466 to see the timing marks, the 6.6 doesnt, which makes it a little harder. OK, not harder, but more time consuming since it's the same process.
I get a lot of good reports of happy drivers after just the fuel adjustment on my Facebook page. I makes a nice difference, but nothing wild & crazy. That's another story.
98 Jetta VR6
Old 03-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Elder User

Papa Tiger has a good reputation on FTE.Papa Tiger has a good reputation on FTE.
Crank er up!
Old 03-03-2012, 04:19 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Large Truck

Tags
1995, 700, 78, 95, duty, f700, ford, fuel, gas, ignition, problems, replace, solenoid, super, switch