Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford 460 EGR legel unplug, Increases mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 01:36 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by kjgibson2
then compress it so now your fuel and oxygen are even farther apart
Wow, when you compress stuff it makes things farther apart?

Good to know, thanks. Learn something every day.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:06 AM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbyjo9
show me a "real" race team running plates on there street registered race car. Then you can compare your emissions. Thats just plain stupid or ignorant.
This guy believes that attaching a license plate to your vehicle makes running it w/o emissions equipment more harmful... Are we just letting that one go, or?

Old 02-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Midnite1987
Cargo Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lvin4jc33
This guy believes that attaching a license plate to your vehicle makes running it w/o emissions equipment more harmful... Are we just letting that one go, or?
But a true race car is not a commuter vehicle so they don't fall into the same category as far as the emissions go. The emission thing is to make the vehicle street legal . You try getting in the emissions pushing 7-800 Hp like in a NASCAR

Old 02-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Midnite1987
Cargo Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by andym

NICE

Old 02-23-2012, 09:13 AM
kjgibson2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andym

Fuel and oxygen molecules (the stuff we burn) is farther apart because now you have exhaust gas mixed in with it, less oxygen molecules per cc so they must be farther apart making them harder to burn

Old 02-23-2012, 10:08 AM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
Fuel and oxygen molecules (the stuff we burn) is farther apart because now you have exhaust gas mixed in with it, less oxygen molecules per cc so they must be farther apart making them harder to burn
For real? Just admit that you are wrong.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by GNR22
For real? Just admit that you are wrong.

kjgibson2
"I will NOT admit I am WRONG
I am A highly educated college grad"

Old 02-23-2012, 10:28 AM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
kjgibson2
"I will NOT admit I am WRONG
I am A highly educated college grad"
BAHAHA. yeah right...the likelihood of him being right, is the same likelihood as me buying a chevy.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:28 AM
andym
Post Fiend
We let these people vote, have children, and own guns, too. Scary, isn't it?

Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 AM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems to be a matter of a little book learning and absolutely NO common sense!!!

Old 02-23-2012, 12:07 PM
bobbyjo9
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lvin4jc33
Huh???

Originally Posted by Midnite1987
But a true race car is not a commuter vehicle so they don't fall into the same category as far as the emissions go. The emission thing is to make the vehicle street legal . You try getting in the emissions pushing 7-800 Hp like in a NASCAR
Thank you!! I dont see, nor would I want to see, NHRA requiring EGR's on top fuel anytime soon! LOL

Old 02-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You know what i find funny is that your supposed to gain mpg when your egr is open because you know it must be real good on that engine to put dirty exhaust gas into intake air which then ruins a good fuel air mixture then compress it so now your fuel and oxygen are even farther apart because of the inert exhaust gas and so you lose power in that respect, and not to mention all of the exhaust gases you had to use power to compress you get absolutely nothing out of, so basically your saying that by keeping the egr working you allow it to rob power from your engine and that will get better mileage? if you make more power from each combustion event your engine is running more efficiently. keyword being efficiently, maybe its just me but efficiency equals fuel mileage in my book...but hey, if you think it won't help mileage then don't do it, its that simple, it worked for me and it may work for others, if you don't like it, that sucks, if you decide to try it and gain mileage then i'm happy for you.

Efficiency is measured in different ways. Power, fuel mileage or pollutants. When you discuss egr you need to be clear what you are trying to optimize.

Exhaust gases are introduced to lower peak combustion temperatures in order to reduce NOX. But when you put the hammer down the egr valve closes so it makes all your engine's power available. It opens partially depending on load.
At cruise, light load, the egr is partially open.

For every revolution the engine has to take in a certain volume of gas [as opposed to liquid,] and with egr some of the gas is exhaust gas which means a little less of the usual air/fuel mixture. Power output is not affected because demand is low and less fuel is used.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Diesel get large gains with an EGR-block off because they work in a fundamentally different way. Diesels need as much air as they can get to burn efficiently for a given amount of fuel. EGR reduces the amount of oxygen, and reduces Diesel efficiency.

Gasoline engines need a set amount of fuel for a set amount of air going in. Replace the incoming air with exhaust gasses, you need less fuel.

Back in 70s/80s, emissions systems did not have self-diagnostics, so when you ripped off all the emissions equipment, the Carb/EFI assumed it was all still there. As a result during cruise you'd run way lean because it was still fueling under the assumption that part of the incoming air had been displaced with exhaust gas - which would normally require less fuel. So your mileage would go up, but only be cause you were running ridiculously lean.

But with modern EFI systems - including the EEC-IV used on the 87-96 F-Series, it can detect minor faults in the emissions system. If an EGR fault is detected, it will disable the EGR in software, and control fuel/spark as if the EGR was not there. I suppose that could make it feel slightly more responsive and give it a little more part-throttle power.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:54 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
The OP asked about EGR on a 460 gas engine - why are we continuing to debate diesel emissions here?

Old 02-23-2012, 12:57 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Because the OP brought EGR on diesels into the thread in attempt to cover his BS with more BS.

Quick Reply: Ford 460 EGR legel unplug, Increases mileage