6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

First DEF fill issues????

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 PM
hay is for horses
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First DEF fill issues????

I posted last night about my first long haul and how great the truck pulled. This AM on my way to work got the DEF 500 miles to empty message. The trip was a bit over 1500miles and truck hasd approx 800 miles on it that 300 miles would have been highway at operating temp the other 500 was putting around town back and forth to work not at operating temp. My first thought was it was not full from original purchase. before trip DEF level in display said ok. Went to local ford dealer bought 2 2.5 gallon jugs and it barely took the first 2.5 gallons. ??????? message still says 490 miles to DEF empty. What am I missing? It is a cab chassis and should be a 6 gallon tank???

Old 02-20-2012, 05:18 PM
ProgDrummer79
Freshman User
There's an easy fix:

H&S tuner with DEF delete.

That's how I plan to fix mine shortly!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:24 PM
hay is for horses
Junior User
LOL, can't afford to play..... need my warranty hope you make out well with your deletes.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:08 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I'm guessing since you went to Ford, you had the Ford spout?
If that's the case, we can safely guess it's properly filled so there may be a sensor issue.
If you can't get any more in there and have driven around, then you'll need to visit your dealer again.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:20 PM
hay is for horses
Junior User
haven't driven it around just started it an let it run for 5 minutes cyled through menu and ir was still show xxx miles to empty... yes it was for spouts from ford

Old 02-21-2012, 04:51 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After a refill, give it a few key cycles and see if it doesn't reset. Example: a trip to Wally world, maybe the gun store, church, etc. Also, it doesn't really have a very good level indicator on it. You basically have to almost completely fill it to get it to notice the fluid in the tank. I think there's only like two level sensors in the tank. Mine takes about two-three key cycles before it recognizes the refill. Hope this helps. If not, I would head to the dealer.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:38 PM
hay is for horses
Junior User
Cycled key on and off 6 times still didn't reset, called dealer and they said drive it...... it took 40 miles and i kept restting it every mile then she majically said DEF level OK...... seems with a 6 gallon tank I got the message awful early and it only took 2.5 gallons. Ford DEF nozzle wouldn't take but a mouthful from the second jug?????Bright side nothing apparantl is wrong and got 5 gallons of def for $40.00 from the dealer with 2 nozzles at no extra charge....small town dealer probably stock before the seperate part # for the nozzle, washed and stored both of them in a zip lock bag for future use ob cheaper DEF

Old 02-21-2012, 05:59 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hay is for horses
Cycled key on and off 6 times still didn't reset, called dealer and they said drive it...... it took 40 miles and i kept restting it every mile then she majically said DEF level OK...... seems with a 6 gallon tank I got the message awful early and it only took 2.5 gallons. Ford DEF nozzle wouldn't take but a mouthful from the second jug?????Bright side nothing apparantl is wrong and got 5 gallons of def for $40.00 from the dealer with 2 nozzles at no extra charge....small town dealer probably stock before the seperate part # for the nozzle, washed and stored both of them in a zip lock bag for future use ob cheaper DEF
Yepr. Kinda hard to figure out a pattern to the thing resetting itself after refills. Glad yours came around.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:09 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 902 Likes on 327 Posts
FWIW, In the 12 months I have owned my truck, I just add DEF about every 2000 miles, or when I think about it. I have never waited for the 1/2 full message or beyond. Never had problems either. I guess I'm agreeing with everyone that the level indicator may not be up to the task.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:55 AM
cford716
Elder User
Originally Posted by djousma
FWIW, In the 12 months I have owned my truck, I just add DEF about every 2000 miles, or when I think about it. I have never waited for the 1/2 full message or beyond. Never had problems either. I guess I'm agreeing with everyone that the level indicator may not be up to the task.
I stick with what the manual says. If it is cold out then I will wait. Manual says do not put more than 2 gal. in with the "less than 1/2 full" message if in cold temps. I wait until the next message then put in 2.5 gal. I fill it during the summer. I think some of the problems that people have had is inadvertantly overfilling it and it freezes in the neck where there is no heater.

To prevent overfilling of the DEF tank when filling with a bottle, Ford
recommends using Motorcraft DEF. Additionally, if the message center
indicates EXHAUST FLUID UNDER 1/2 FULL, you should only add a
MAXIMUM of 2 gallons (6.7L) of DEF to the tank to prevent freeze
damage due to overfilling. If the message center indicates EXHAUST
FLUID LEVEL OK, do not add DEF.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Chief901
Junior User
I received the less than 1/2 full on the information screen yesterday, so I filled the DEF today using the motorcraft 2-1/2 gal jug and the Ford filler. It took 2 gallons and then stopped. I closed everything up and cleaned the filler hose, and placed it in a freezer bag for storage. When I went to drive the truck, the DEF indicated "OK". This is also my first fill but it worked fine.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:01 AM
2k11powerstroke
New User
My 800 mile to empty def light came on about a month ago. I finally got around to going to the Ford dealer and getting a bottle. The 'Truck manager' said that if I didn't fill it all the way up, that the sensor wouldn't reset and the truck would go into 'idle mode' when it went empty. Well, I got one 2.5 gal bottle, put it in, and guess what. The sensor reset and no more 'miles to empty' for def. Think that 'manager' was just trying to sell me more stuff. Oh well.
Ben

Old 02-22-2012, 03:37 PM
DrewF
Senior User
The manager is partially correct.

The DEF tank has a 1/2 and full level sensor. It is not like a fuel tank where it is variable.

If your DEF tank is nearly empty, it is highly possible that a 2.5 gallon jug wont get it above the 1/2 full mark and trip that sensor.

If that sensor doesnt get tripped, then yes, the truck will go in LIMP mode.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:00 PM
junker2
New User
So has anyone watched the service techs fill your DEF tank? The one here in Tulsa, OK overfilled it so it leaked out the overflow and spilled DEF fluid all over the exterior paint job. So i pointed out the exterior paint job issue and the overflow issue and they pressure washed the areas. Then they left a big mud print in the floorboard when they moved the truck, (2011 K Ranch DRW). So they offered to detail the floorboards. So i end up with a 3 hour first oil oil change at 5000 miles, WTF??? Do they ever read the instructions for the fluids they handle? Hell they should have washed and detailed the whole FN truck for their complete lack of care.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:28 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Wow!,,,,..some of you guys around here need to relax.

Seriously.

It's tough to be human in this world.

Relax,....enjoy life!

Geeeeez!

Shane

Quick Reply: First DEF fill issues????