2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Fault code

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:54 AM
okstatef150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans Fault code

I recently had the Trans fault code show up on my message center of my 2006 f150, 4x4. A little back story, I was actually in mud at the time and was stuck, but I wasnt torturing it, if that makes sense. It threw the code and the od flashed. I shut it off and started it back up. I was then pulled out and have not had any issues with the forward gears, still shifts just as smooth as it always has and has no problem shifting up to 75 mph. When I put it in reverse, it seems like it take just a second longer to get in gear than before. Once in, I have no troubles backing up. I understand that I more than likely. We'd the codes read, but have a couple questions. Will my xcal 3 read the codes, also anyone have this happen before and have a hunch if there is something wrong with it? As always, I appreciate the help.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK I have one question for you now.

You were in 4wd with the OD on?

If that is the case then most likely it flashed at you to simple say hey I don't like this and the tranny was heating up. When using the 4wd you should be in something other then OD or have the OD turned off.

I would guess that you have no issues but you might want to change the fluid and filter soon and clean it all out if you haven't done so already.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:22 PM
skunkoffroad
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Coskid
OK I have one question for you now.

You were in 4wd with the OD on?

If that is the case then most likely it flashed at you to simple say hey I don't like this and the tranny was heating up. When using the 4wd you should be in something other then OD or have the OD turned off.

I would guess that you have no issues but you might want to change the fluid and filter soon and clean it all out if you haven't done so already.
what?Please explain to me how having the overdrive on is a bad idea in 4x4. Please explain why you think he has done no damage despite the fact that he can feel a difference in reverse engagement. I have never heard of an onboard diagnostic system flashing a trans light to simply say (I don't like this). If the light comes on you have likely lost a sensor or the sensors are reading something that is outside of specs ie. temperature, slippage, low pressure, high pressure, excetera.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:27 PM
skunkoffroad
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by okstatef150
I recently had the Trans fault code show up on my message center of my 2006 f150, 4x4. A little back story, I was actually in mud at the time and was stuck, but I wasnt torturing it, if that makes sense. It threw the code and the od flashed. I shut it off and started it back up. I was then pulled out and have not had any issues with the forward gears, still shifts just as smooth as it always has and has no problem shifting up to 75 mph. When I put it in reverse, it seems like it take just a second longer to get in gear than before. Once in, I have no troubles backing up. I understand that I more than likely. We'd the codes read, but have a couple questions. Will my xcal 3 read the codes, also anyone have this happen before and have a hunch if there is something wrong with it? As always, I appreciate the help.
when you say you were not torturing it what were you doing? Where you rocking it by going from drive to reverse? Where you in 4 low? How long were you stuck and trying to get out? Also were you giving it enough throttle to allow it to shift from 1st to 2nd? I'm sorry I can't be of more help But the answers to these questions might help people understand what happened.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:32 PM
okstatef150
Junior User
OD was not off, however it never shifted up so I do not understand that part, wouldnt it being in 1st make OD irrelevant? Just asking! I "rocked" it, but only by waiting for it to engage once I switched from D to R and vice versa All total it could have been maybe a minute, I had access to a tractor and was pretty deep, therefore I wasn't going to torture it. No it never shifted up to 2nd since I wasn't hammering on it. Partially why I got stuck.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The OD being on or Off is more a matter of how I drive my truck I guess. I turn it off when I put it in 4wd or hook a trailer up. I was thinking you had it in 4wd before getting stuck but then again not everyone does that.

Now as for what I was trying to say the computer most likely threw a code when it flashed the warning light but it didn't see it as being major enough to leave the light on just gave it as a warning. Basically saying hey I don't like this. Its the same thing when the CEL flashes from say a misfire that is only random its not enough to make the light stay on.

Did you cause a problem sure its possible the light flashed for some reason. If you post the codes from teh computer I am sure someone around here can give some more insight as to what they mean if you don't know already. Will the xcal3 read the codes I would imagine it would most decent tuners do.

Now as for taking longer to shift into reverse can you be sure it wasn't doing that before and you just hadn't noticed and are paying more attention now so you noticed it now?

Old 11-23-2012, 04:40 PM
bdavis2424
New User
06 f150

im also having similar issues! i have reverse but it will not engage in a fwd gear! the rpms go up andthe o/d blinks and also the trans fault comes up! the emissions light is on a gives me 3 codes p2106,p0174 and p0720 anyone have any ideas before i take it in the shop monday, giving the holidays i would too sve some $ but i also need this fixed asap. Thank you

Old 11-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts
OK first take care of the throttle position sensor. U R going nowhere until it is repaired. Most sensible thing is replace the TB assy. Even if from a parts yard.