6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Injector Stiction? Will HSS and Rotella T6 5w-40 help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 11:51 PM
loganoestman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector Stiction? Will HSS and Rotella T6 5w-40 help?

I have been experiencing low power, poor mileage and rough running when cold. Did alot of my own diagnostics that I learned on here. Finally took it in to a local diesel shop and they performed an injector balance test. Test showed that injector #2 is almost dead, and #4 and #6 are not to far behind. When I plugged it in to a code reader prior to taking it in, no injector codes came up, which is causing me to believe that those injectors are possibly having a stiction problem. Instead of going right for the most expensive thing (replacing injectors) I purchased a 2qt jug of HSS. I have about 500 miles on the HSS, and Rotella T6 5w-40. I have been noticing that it has started puffing out a little blue smoke when it surges and runs rough. It never did this before. It seems to run better once it gets warmed up, but every once and a while will still lack power. Is it possibly a result of the HSS doing its job and cleaning out the varnished injectors? Or do you think the injectors are toast and I just need to buck up and replace them?

Old 02-20-2012, 12:11 AM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Check your egr valve. I'm banking that is your low power and smoke issue. I tryed hss and t6 in my bosses truck. It made very little difference. Then we tryed rev-x and new t6 on the next oil change. That helped him out the most

Old 02-20-2012, 04:31 AM
buba 11
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry to say my friend that nothing I ever did unstuck the bad injectors in my truck. I replaced all of one side and eventually had to do the other side, had about 200K on the engine when it all happen. The good news is that the truck runs really great after this is done. Some have said that one of the causes of the injector problems is water in the oil, like you get from a egr cooler failure. I,m thinking that this helped wreck my injectors because the egr cooler failed next, but who knows. Cost for me was about 2400 or so, including belts oil, gasgets, I did the work my self but do not attempt it unless you are confident in your mechinacal abilities, one screw up and the truck does not start! Best of luck.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:10 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
I also tried the Rev X and 5w-40 with little to no change. I ended up replacing the injector.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:51 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
I think this: AR9100-16oz FRICTION MODIFIER-INTRODUCTORY PRICE along with the T6 will give you a LOT more bang for your buck and produce better results....

Old 02-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I think this: AR9100-16oz FRICTION MODIFIER-INTRODUCTORY PRICE along with the T6 will give you a LOT more bang for your buck and produce better results....
Have you used this product? If so what were your results?

Old 02-20-2012, 09:06 AM
mohle
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by loganoestman
I have been experiencing low power, poor mileage and rough running when cold. Did alot of my own diagnostics that I learned on here. Finally took it in to a local diesel shop and they performed an injector balance test. Test showed that injector #2 is almost dead, and #4 and #6 are not to far behind. When I plugged it in to a code reader prior to taking it in, no injector codes came up, which is causing me to believe that those injectors are possibly having a stiction problem. Instead of going right for the most expensive thing (replacing injectors) I purchased a 2qt jug of HSS. I have about 500 miles on the HSS, and Rotella T6 5w-40. I have been noticing that it has started puffing out a little blue smoke when it surges and runs rough. It never did this before. It seems to run better once it gets warmed up, but every once and a while will still lack power. Is it possibly a result of the HSS doing its job and cleaning out the varnished injectors? Or do you think the injectors are toast and I just need to buck up and replace them?
I just had to replace an injector. Never saw a code, truck would miss, surge and blow blue smoke. If it is a reputable shop, I would replace the injector. My Edge didn't show any codes either. Personally, if the contribution test came back with those results, I would replace the injectors. When I took mine out, the injector tip was soaking wet. The carbon on the tip was one thick crust that flaked off like wet paint chips. Don't take the chance of blowing up your engine.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Teds
Senior User

mohle-- will the failing injectors blow up motor??

i am having inj #1 #6 #7 issues, i tried BG fuel, oil, and oil treatment cost around 85 bucks changed nothing, hopefully i get new injectors this week..... was going to try the HSS, but to many differnent opinions on it working so didnt try it...

Old 02-20-2012, 02:44 PM
loganoestman
New User
Blowing up your engine because of missing injectors. I dunno a out that

Old 02-20-2012, 03:01 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by loganoestman
Blowing up your engine because of missing injectors. I dunno a out that
They're not necessarily missing. They might be dumping fuel. A failed injector can very easily destroy your motor or at least seriously damage it depending on the type of failure.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:04 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Unrealo4
Have you used this product? If so what were your results?
I haven't had a reason to use it, but this would be my first and only choice for an oil additive IF I chose to go that way. Those I know that have used it have had excellent results.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:07 PM
loganoestman
New User
So keep using it or don't? Im into my oil 500 miles.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:51 PM
mohle
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Teds
mohle-- will the failing injectors blow up motor??

i am having inj #1 #6 #7 issues, i tried BG fuel, oil, and oil treatment cost around 85 bucks changed nothing, hopefully i get new injectors this week..... was going to try the HSS, but to many differnent opinions on it working so didnt try it...
What may be described as a "missing" cylinder basically means a cylinder that isn't firing when it's supposed to. Number of things that this will impact. A) your engine is a balanced item, when the injector "misses", it's not balanced anymore. Hence the vibrations. B) you may have an injector leaking fuel. This is what can really damage an engine in a hurry. First from it igniting before it's supposed to, then incomplete combustion and last but not least higher cylinder pressures and temperatures. C) you may also risk fuel getting into the engine oil as it is not being burned. That equals a lot of wear.
Now if your engine isn't running right you are probably going to run into problems further down the road if you keep driving it like that. Personally I'm not made of money and rather spend the money on a new injector now, rather than some rod bearings or a melted piston later.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Teds
Senior User

mohle where does the injector leak stem from?????

Old 02-20-2012, 04:04 PM
loganoestman
New User
Injector installation is tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys.

Quick Reply: Injector Stiction? Will HSS and Rotella T6 5w-40 help?