Sponsored by:

Will this Nav system fit in 05 Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:06 PM
grishw1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will this Nav system fit in 05 Excursion

Found this on Ebay and was wondering if it would fit? Any thoughts on which rear camera is the best? Having an Excursion shipped from Co Springs to Texas and trying to get ahead on some things I would like to do. Thanks for any input.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Old 02-19-2012, 11:10 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
it says it plugs into 05-12 F350's. I'd say you should check with the seller. Personally I think it looks like a chinese made piece of crap that probably has a low quality touch screen, isn't very well thought out, and I'm betting won't have any support for new maps for the gps.. it doesn't show the GPS so who knows what the GUI looks like, the one for the DVD looks like crap. $600 is serious coin for a head unit, and ebay is kinda a risk. I'd advise spending your hard earned money on an aftermarket unit with proven support, expandability, and customer service/support... alpine, pioneer, jvc all good.. you should be able to find one of their entry level double din DVD/nav units for the price range you are looking for.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:04 AM
ddorband
Freshman User
Welcome to FTE and congratulations on your purchase, though I never like seeing a good X leave the beautiful state of Colorado. With enough cash anything will fit, but unfortunately Ford in their infinite wisdom decided to make the radio opening in our X’s, and pre 05 Super Duty’s slightly shorter and wider then a double DIN opening. In 05 the changed they Super Duty dash so that the radio opening is closer to the same size as a double DIN radio.

Additionally, the factory style radio in the 05 plus Super Duty’s do not mount in the same way as aftermarket units do. I have not tried it, but it looks like it would me much harder to mount the factory style 05 plus Super Duty radio in the X dash then it is to mount an aftermarket double DIN radio. If you really wanted to the easiest way would probably be to swap in the entire dash panel from an 05-07 Super Duty, then the radio you listed should fit nicely. There are a few guys on here that have done it and it looks really good, but it is not a bolt in swap.

I would also have to agree with hasteranger that for $600 you will probably not be satisfied with the quality. I purchased on of these about a year ago:

VERSIO 7" Touchscreen Car CD DVD Player GPS Navigation Radio Ipod BT+Free Camera | eBay

For the price I have been very satisfied with it, and would even recommend it to others as long as they knew what they were getting. On the other hand, if I had spent $600 on it I would be unsatisfied with its quality and performance. Especially when you consider that for just a little more there is what appears to be a very similar Kenwood unit on Ebay.

Kenwood Excelon DNX6980 6.1" DVD Navigation Receiver, Bluetooth+Camera+USB Stick (0019048192707) | eBay

I do not know how good this unit is, but I would have to assume it is better than the Chinese units, and should be a lot easier to install.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:37 AM
grishw1
Senior User
Thanks for the input that Kenwood looks exactly what I'm looking. The truck has a 4 inch lift with 37's and 20 inch rims. The only thing it needs is nav and a rear camera. Well, I hope that is all it needs. Love the X forum I have read a bunch on here in the last couple of days.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:50 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
good thinking to make a rear camera your first mod. I've backed into a couple things. lol.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:55 AM
grishw1
Senior User
I'm driving a tahoe with a rear camera and I don't think I could live without it! That Kenwood with camera will fit the excursion?

Old 02-20-2012, 02:15 PM
jeeplj8
Senior User
I just a Pioneer p3300bt in mine. no nav, but I generally dont like installed nav units b/c of the lack of updates and cost to get what is available. Unto each their own on that score.

Anyway, installing a double din unit does require that you purchase a mounting kit and trim the stock dash. You will need to grind off the small upper and lower lip in the radio opening in order to get the unti through, or else mount it behind and just clear off what you want. My kit came with a small filler piece that plugged the hole I left.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:32 PM
grishw1
Senior User
Appreciate the help. Any advice on rear cameras?

Old 02-20-2012, 02:36 PM
jeeplj8
Senior User
i bought a cheap one off ebay, less than 20 bucks. it is crap. go with something nicer. Fortunately they all hook up pretty much the same now, one RCA to the screen and just power to the camera.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:01 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
check amazon for the camera because they all have reviews on there, some get better reviews than others. for simplicity of mounting I'd suggest the kind that mount over your license plate, although you may want to custom mount yours if you want a different view. For me license plate would be perfect so i can line my trailer up.