Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2012, 10:06 AM
New Mexico Chapter LDR

CelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputation
How to clean a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor - 5.4L

I know that this is an incredibly simple process but sometimes I find things easier with pictures. I couldn't find anything like that on this site, there were lots of references to cleaning the MAF and I wanted to clean mine. I figured I would create a simple tutorial and give back to the community that has helped me so much.

Here are the tools you will need:
1) CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner. Do NOT use break cleaner or anything else that is not designed for electronics. About $8 at a local parts store.
2) Flat head screw driver
3) T-20 Torx bit
Click the image to open in full size.

The MAF is located on the driver's side of the Air filter housing

Use the screwdriver to pull the red tab out. It pulls out like a drawer and not up or down like many tabs.

Gently pull the connector off the MAF. If this has never been done on your truck before you may need to use the screw driver on the red tab to give you a little more help. It should slide right off.

Next, use the T-20 torx bit to remove the two screws holding the MAF to the air filter housing. There is one on the top left of the sensor (shown below) and one on the bottom right of the sensor.

Gently pull the sensor out. Be sure to not get any dirt into the air filter housing when you remove the MAF.

Spray the MAF and let it dry for about 10-15 seconds. Do NOT touch the wires in the MAF with anything other than the CRC cleaner.

To put it back follow the procedure in reverse order.

Cleaning the MAF is a good idea every time you change/oil your air filter as it can get dirty from all the dust and oil that may come through your air filter.

If you have any questions or there is more information I can add to this tutorial let me know.
Click here to join the NM chapter.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Posting Guru

DieselBeast01 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The hardest part about this for me is finding a stupid torx driver...lol. Great write up though and I honestly do need to do this soon. I hav'nt even checked mine since I bought the truck.
2005 F150 CrewCab Lariat: 40k, complete Pioneer Stereo system, Edge Evolution, MagnaFlow Dual side exit exhaust, Trektop bedside step, HBS leveling kit, 295/70/r18 Nitto Trail Grapplers Still a work in prgress...
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T SE...440 Magnum...running/driving but waiting on a paint job
1998 Jeep Wrangler...beat around vehicle.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Posting Guru

tbear853 has a good reputation on FTE.tbear853 has a good reputation on FTE.
Thumbs up

Great short & to the point write up .... I too need to do this, I need to get the CRC first as I keep forgetting and everytime I think about it, still need the spray.
My 07 has near 40K and it's never been done either. I doubt it's ever been done on the '95 TBird at 75K and I know it hasn't on the Merc or Subaru. Maybe on the '92 TBird .... loooks like I'll use up a can .... haha

Gotta get back up there to the Frost Diner here soon! Get some Hank and Lefty going on the juke ....

and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
Old 02-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Senior User

Gundown64 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Gundown64 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Gundown64
Thanks a lot for this. I need to do this and even though it is so simple, I didn't know the correct way to do it so this helps a lot. Reps sent your way!

Colby - 2006 Ford F-150 5.4L FX4
• 33" Toyo M/T • 20" XD Monsters • 2.5" Rough Country Level
• Gryphon CS /w custom 87 tune • Flowmaster SIDO exhaust • Pioneer Head Unit
• Trex Vertical Billet Grille • Chrome accents • LED dome and cab lights • Tonneau cover • 15% tint
Old 02-19-2012, 12:01 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Added to the tech folder.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 02-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Whachuwant?

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
Bobbie, great write up. Well done. Very easy process.
Official Slackmaster #24
Old 02-19-2012, 05:06 PM
New Mexico Chapter LDR

CelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputation
Thanks all. It took me a little while to figure out how to do it properly that I figured what better way to learn than to also help someone else in the process.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Posting Guru

Steve_Uzi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticDevilDog View Post
Thanks all. It took me a little while to figure out how to do it properly that I figured what better way to learn than to also help someone else in the process.
Great write-up! I have 82K on my truck and have never done it... Thanks for taking the time to detail the process!

-Steve
Old 02-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Postmaster

Coskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to behold
Well done Bobbie!
Old 05-11-2012, 05:59 AM
New User

baby ape is starting off with a positive reputation.
al eppenbaugh
will this help with fuel cost? i have a 2008 f-150 5.4 v-8.i chipped it and gained super hp and some fuel economy.

baby ape
Old 05-11-2012, 09:04 AM
New User

ctsv510 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby ape View Post
will this help with fuel cost? i have a 2008 f-150 5.4 v-8.i chipped it and gained super hp and some fuel economy.

baby ape
Cleaning the MAF helps the sensor be as accurate as possible so you get the right amount of fuel for the amount of air going through your motor. A dirty MAF can misread the amount of air, but it is more likely to cause a lean condition (not enough fuel) than using too much fuel. It is a good maintenance procedure to keep everything running smoothly, but don't expect to gain any noticeable MPG.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:24 AM
Elder User

mitch150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mitch150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thumbs up Nice write up!

Nice write up Dog. And just to add, for those of you running with a CAI or permanent washable filter, especially do it after re-charging or cleaning the air filter and or check it after you've put the filter back in and driven the truck. Your supposed to let the filter set and the charging oil dry properly, but I have seen where some might not wait long enough for that and after running the truck, some of the charging oil will get on the sensor, sometimes that will happen even after it does dry long enough, I've seen it happen. Anyway, that will mess with how the sensor is reading the a/f mix, just my 2 cents (and it's not even worth that )

Volant w/ ram air intake,Magnaflow true duel exhaust w/ high flows, magnapacks, 3" Bushwhacker flares, Eagle alloys(7 lug rims), BFG 315/70/17 All Terrain T/A's, JVC KW-NX7000 w/nav, dvd, Sirius, chrome w2w nerfs, Xcal ll 5 Star custom tunes
Old 03-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Freshman User

05Edge is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just did this for the first time today. Thanks for the awesome write up!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Junior User

red dog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
maf sensor

Excellent detail!
I see its been a year but i just came across it.
Do you just spray into the hole where the wires are or do
you spray the whole thing. Also, do you spray sparingly or
do you wet it real good. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:45 AM
New Mexico Chapter LDR

You should spray the whole thing but spray it lightly. You don't want to have any electronic part soaking wet.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:45 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Tags
07, 2004, 54, 54l, air, clean, cleaning, f150, flow, ford, fordf250, maf, mass, massl, sensor, v10