Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2012, 09:34 AM
New User

fordssawslogs is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool excursion, 4x4 wont shift

hi long time member first question,
we have a 2002 excursion i have replaced the 4x4 selector switch on the dash as well as the front hubs they are now the warn premium hubs and the transfer case shift motor all part are ford all but the hubs.my question is it will not shift from 2 hi to 4 hi to 4 low,i have done all the right things that the book says to do,put vic in neutral keep foot on break,switch selector switch to 4x4 or 2 or low and it will not shift.when the transfer case shift motor was off i put the truck back in 2 wheel drive by hand with a wrench and it moves free no binding what else could it be the fuse under the steering wheel is good and new parts are good as well any help would be great
4x4 2002 excursion limited 7.3 only mod is cold air intake
thank you for your time
Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Senior User

whitewhale is starting off with a positive reputation.
check all of your connections, and I actually pulled the shift motor off of the transfer case when mine was acting up. Cleaned up my connections and cycled the motor a few times and it worked fine
Old 02-20-2012, 01:03 AM
New User

i will give it a try

as soon as i get home from afganistan i will give it a try i bought the big suv for the wife and kids to be safe in but with all the small things that have happened with it the wife just drive her mini van,heartbreaking haha but thank you for the advise is there any place under the hood they have a relay or a conetion that needs to be cleaned or just the ones under the truck at the shift motor
Old 02-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Thread Ender

Studawg has a great reputation on FTE.Studawg has a great reputation on FTE.Studawg has a great reputation on FTE.Studawg has a great reputation on FTE.Studawg has a great reputation on FTE.
You know you will have to manually turn the hubs to LOCK first, and then, turn the switch, for the 4WD to engage. If I am not mistaken, with those Warn hubs, your truck is no longer "switch on the fly".

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years there'd be a shortage of sand.”
― Milton Friedman
Old 02-21-2012, 08:20 AM
New User

the new hubs

yes i know about the new hubs but the factory ones were 4 times as much as the warn the warn has a lifetime warenty and the air house was also no good so i just went with the same hubs ive but on all my trucks,we live in fairbanks alaska so the hubs are locked for about 8 months out of the year
Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Support FTE

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Attached is an EX wiring diagram for ESOF 4WD circuits. Bottom right hand corner shows the Low to High and the High to Low relays. Not sure where they are but on a truck they are under the hood near the master cylinder. If your EX has the tow package there might be another set of 2 relays. The 4WD relays will be the two mounted further forward.

The only pic I have are the 4WD relays under hood of my 99 truck.

Click the image to open in full size.

Be safe over there and come home safely.

See bottom right hand corner of his wiring diagram for the 2 x-fer case shift relays.
Fuse 59 supllies power to the relay windings as well as to the x-fer case shift motor through contacts of these relays.

Edit : On the right side of drawing is the 4WD Control Module. Could be the problem.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Excursion 4WD.pdf (62.2 KB, 180 views)
Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Support FTE

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
I should have added this to my previous post.

The ESOF relays are a Bosch 5 spade type. They have a normally closed contact not found on the four spade relays.

I had the same problem you have. I removed and bench tested the relays for continuity from 30 through normally closed contact to 87a when non-opeated and continuity from 30 through the make contact to 87 when operated. All was good. Before plugging the relays back in I cleaned the spade contacts with emery cloth. Shifts to 4HI and 4LOW and back again then worked. I don't know if exercising the relays or cleaning the spade connectors is what helped.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Postmaster

Pitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud of
I didnt know if you use Warn hubs that you cant use the ESOF. Is Ford hubs the only ones you can use with ESOF? Was thinking about changing mine out when I change out the rotors.
PAA#128 / Rob-(02 F350 Crewcab 4x4 Longbed 7.3L) Banks Power Pack System w/tri-pilar gauges, Banks Power Elbow, Banks Turbo Back Exhaust, Banks Intercooler, Banks 1.0 housing, Banks WW Zoo-dad, HPx, FRx, CCV, AFE 6637, Hutch & Harpoon w/Dieselsite Fuel Filter, Trans, Oil, Coolant Bypass Filter, Billet Stat Housing, OCR, 6.0 Cooler,DP-Tuned Wifes-(02 Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L) Banks Power Elbow, Banks Turbo Back Exhaust, Banks 6 Gun Programmer, Zoo-dad, HPx, FRx, CCV, AFE 6637, Hutch & Harpoon w/dieselsite Fuel Filter, Trans, Oil, Coolant Bypass Filter, Billet Stat Housing, 6.0 Cooler
Old 02-22-2012, 04:12 AM
New User

as far as i know you can use any hub ,what i do in Alaska
is leave the hubs"locked" and just shift in and out of 4x4 4x4low and 2 wheel drive(before the curent issue were having) shift out of 4x4 and the front drive line wont spin ive never had a problem doing this on older trucks and on the newer ones as well just my opinion and history
Old 02-22-2012, 04:27 AM
Senior User

PaulDH is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
With the Warn hubs locked, the front axles and and the front drive shaft will be turning constantly, whether the transfer case is engaged in 2WD or 4WD. Which consumes some additional energy and accelerates the wear on the U-Joints in the front axles and front drive shaft, and on the splined joint in the front drive shaft.
2001 F250 Lariat CC LB, 4x4, 84,000 mi, Auto, Kelderman 4-Link Air Lift Suspension, AirRaid AIS, Banks Turbo - IC - 6 Gun Diesel Tuner - Billet TC - TransCommand, 40" Toyos, Dana 60 kingpin front axle, 5.13s, Detroits, Bully Dog Propane Injection, Kwik fuel Pump-in-Tank Mod, Harpoon, Standby fuel pump on frame rail (Hutch), Kwik FuelX & Return, Engine Oil/Transmission/Coolant Bypass, Delo ELC, KCM HPX, Stancor GPR, AIH Delete, 50 cent mod, CCV, 140V IDM, PSC hydraulic ram assist PS ...
Old 02-22-2012, 04:52 AM
New User

wow this seems like it will help alot,i will be able to let you know if it works in about a month and a half thank you very much sir for the help
Old 02-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Senior User

PaulDH is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hey,
I didn't mean to lead you to believe that you'll have 4WD functioning without the transfer case electrically engaging into 4WD High or Low. Without the transfer case engaged into 4WD, but the Warn hubs locked, your front axles and drive shafts will be rotating whenever the front tires are rolling because the front axles are mechanically engaged to the turning tires/wheels/hubs through the locked Warn hubs. But no engine power is being delivered to the front axles until the front drive shaft is mechanically engaged to the transfer case - which happens when the transfer case is electrically shifted into 4WD - either 4WDH or 4WDL. So you do need to get your transfer case to shift into 4WD via the electrical shift mechanism/motor attached to the transfer case before your 4WD will be functional.

My prior post was an effort to explain that your front drive shaft and front axles are always going to be turning with the Warn hubs locked, whether the transfer case is in 2WD or in 4WD mode. You'll only have 4WD functioning when both the Warn hubs are locked AND when the transfer case is engaged in 4WD. So running with the Warn hubs locked when you don't need 4WD causes unnecessary wear to the U-joints and the splined shaft on the front axles and drive shaft, when you're not utilizing 4WD (running the transfer case in 2WD). It is convenient to always run with the Warn hubs locked, because 4WD is then available simply by electronically shifting the transfer case into 4WD. But leaving the Warn hubs locked when you're not going to be needing 4WD is a waste of engine power and waste of wear and tear on the constantly rotating front drive train.
2001 F250 Lariat CC LB, 4x4, 84,000 mi, Auto, Kelderman 4-Link Air Lift Suspension, AirRaid AIS, Banks Turbo - IC - 6 Gun Diesel Tuner - Billet TC - TransCommand, 40" Toyos, Dana 60 kingpin front axle, 5.13s, Detroits, Bully Dog Propane Injection, Kwik fuel Pump-in-Tank Mod, Harpoon, Standby fuel pump on frame rail (Hutch), Kwik FuelX & Return, Engine Oil/Transmission/Coolant Bypass, Delo ELC, KCM HPX, Stancor GPR, AIH Delete, 50 cent mod, CCV, 140V IDM, PSC hydraulic ram assist PS ...
Old 02-22-2012, 01:00 PM
New User

97 ford beast is starting off with a positive reputation.
you now have to manually do it because of the new hubs they wont shift electonicly any more it acually depends if you wired it correctlyi just fixed this in my 7.3 excursion.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:00 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2003, 450, 4wd, 97, diagram, diesel, esof, excursion, f150, ford, fuse, problems, ranger, shift, truck, wiring, wont