Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Elder User

Pool Runner has a very good reputation on FTE.Pool Runner has a very good reputation on FTE.Pool Runner has a very good reputation on FTE.
Slip-Yoke bump is back after TSB repair what next?

Had my trucks bump that happens when you come to a stop, it's basically like this you slow down and stop at a light or stop sign or in a parking lot. Truck comes to a complete stop then a 1/2 second later a small clunk that you hear and feel in the driveline.

Anyway, I've got the spec'd truck in my sig... Had the truck fixed for this where they removed a rubber boot covering the driveline splines, greased the area, installed a new boot and called me to come pick it up. Truck drove buttery smooth for about 3-days then the bump & clunk slowly started coming back. Now it is back to where it was before the repair.

I would say it happens 7-10 times of coming to a stop, extremely annoying for a truck with just under 5K miles, repair was done about 1K miles ago. My question to you all is this... is there something else other than the slip-yoke causing this? Do I need to have them replace the entire driveshaft? I thought I recall reading here where a guy had his fixed, then it came back and they replaced the entire shaft or something else.

2013 Subaru Outback, 2.5i, Limited
Old 02-19-2012, 07:35 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Has the dealer driven your truck and actually felt this happening? I'm wondering if they just applied the repair based on the TSB and not from feeling it from behind the wheel.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 02-19-2012, 07:39 AM
New User

tharding is starting off with a positive reputation.
Same problem with my 2010 F-150 Platinum,64k miles. They just did the TSB 10-22-6, where they cleaned and greased the rear driveshaft spline. But the "bump" is still there. It only does it when you come to a slow stop, right before coming to a complete stop the bump hits when it shifts into 1st gear from 2nd. It won't bump if you stop quicker, brake harder.
This is scareing me into buying an extended warranty.
BTY, it would seem, if there was a prob with grease not staying on the driveshaft rear spline, then what about the front spline into the trans?
Old 02-19-2012, 07:41 AM
Senior User

Ford8502 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did they just remove the boot and grease what they could see, or did they do the complete service which requires them to remove the driveline, clean it, and heavily grease the inside and outside splines so all surfaces are covered when slid back together?
Old 02-19-2012, 07:49 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharding View Post
Same problem with my 2010 F-150 Platinum,64k miles. They just did the TSB 10-22-6, where they cleaned and greased the rear driveshaft spline. But the "bump" is still there. It only does it when you come to a slow stop, right before coming to a complete stop the bump hits when it shifts into 1st gear from 2nd. It won't bump if you stop quicker, brake harder.
This is scareing me into buying an extended warranty.
BTY, it would seem, if there was a prob with grease not staying on the driveshaft rear spline, then what about the front spline into the trans?
Welcome to FTE! Great first post sir. Keep those excellent ideas coming.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 02-19-2012, 08:09 AM
New User

tharding is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford8502
I didn't look over their sholder when they did the work.(my mistake, huh!) lol
I will have to ask about that. And does it have to be a certain spec grease?
I emailed them the TSB, but they said they had already done that. This work being done at a Chrysler dealer.(yeah, every time I leave there, I disenfect myself and the truck.) ;-)
This is a used truck that I just bought last week.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:01 AM

meborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud of
when you guys come to a stop, try chasing the gears down as you go, and then limit the trans into second so that it cannot shift into 1st.

the "slip-bump" is a bind in the drivetrain that suddenly relases, and that is covered by the TSB.

my 2010 XL will do similar as described, only it is a quick 2-1 downshift as you let off the brake and roll onto the gas. The truck almost always holds 2nd at a stop, then quickly shifts to 1st as you start to move. somtimes it does it seamlessly, sometimes it is quite noticable.

give it a try, if it works, at least you will know if it is the dreaded slip-bump, or the querky 2-1 downshift.
Be yourself - Always ... Unless you can be Batman, then Always be Batman
Old 02-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Elder User

Lime1GT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meborder View Post
my 2010 XL will do similar as described, only it is a quick 2-1 downshift as you let off the brake and roll onto the gas. The truck almost always holds 2nd at a stop, then quickly shifts to 1st as you start to move. somtimes it does it seamlessly, sometimes it is quite noticable.

give it a try, if it works, at least you will know if it is the dreaded slip-bump, or the querky 2-1 downshift.
Good point on the slip-bump and trans shift issue. I've got a couple of Expeditions at work with high mileage that do the same quirky 2-1 downshift. It's very noticeable though.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Senior User

captaineddie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fords have had this problem for at least twenty years. I had a 1991 F150 with the 4.9 straight six that did this, and the dealership greased it for me for the eleven years I owned the truck. There either needs to be a fix for it or a redesigning for the drive train.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 PM

meborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaineddie View Post
Fords have had this problem for at least twenty years. I had a 1991 F150 with the 4.9 straight six that did this, and the dealership greased it for me for the eleven years I owned the truck. There either needs to be a fix for it or a redesigning for the drive train.
slip-bump isn't exclusive to ford. I know a few chebbie owners that have been plagued by this issue as well.

i think chebby was even nickle plating the slip yoke, and they still had problems.

i'm guessing it is not an easy problem to fix, there is a lot of pressure on the splines, and quite a bit of movement.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Elder User

Pool Runner has a very good reputation on FTE.Pool Runner has a very good reputation on FTE.Pool Runner has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meborder View Post
slip-bump isn't exclusive to ford. I know a few chebbie owners that have been plagued by this issue as well.

i think chebby was even nickle plating the slip yoke, and they still had problems.

i'm guessing it is not an easy problem to fix, there is a lot of pressure on the splines, and quite a bit of movement.
Actually had the same problem with one of my company trucks an '08 Chevy GMT900 2500 HD 6.0L Gasser, we also have an '08 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab, V6 4x4 that even does the same bump-thunk. It happens more frequent though in my F-150 though and it's my favorite truck to date.

2013 Subaru Outback, 2.5i, Limited
Old 02-21-2012, 11:53 PM
New User

fittyford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Slip Yoke thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
Had my trucks bump that happens when you come to a stop, it's basically like this you slow down and stop at a light or stop sign or in a parking lot. Truck comes to a complete stop then a 1/2 second later a small clunk that you hear and feel in the driveline.

Anyway, I've got the spec'd truck in my sig... Had the truck fixed for this where they removed a rubber boot covering the driveline splines, greased the area, installed a new boot and called me to come pick it up. Truck drove buttery smooth for about 3-days then the bump & clunk slowly started coming back. Now it is back to where it was before the repair.

I would say it happens 7-10 times of coming to a stop, extremely annoying for a truck with just under 5K miles, repair was done about 1K miles ago. My question to you all is this... is there something else other than the slip-yoke causing this? Do I need to have them replace the entire driveshaft? I thought I recall reading here where a guy had his fixed, then it came back and they replaced the entire shaft or something else.
The ford TSB repair using blue grease XG-8 did not last for me 2010 f150 extended cab two piece drive shaft.I give up on Ford.I used MERCURY MARINE GREASE with TEFLON (2-4-c ) part nbr 92-802863A .It worked for me.I pulled the rear drive shaft and packed the female slip yoke completely full with marine grease (front drive shaft) then coated male spline with grease (rear drive shaft).I then forced the rear shaft into the female slip yoke result grease flowing out but filling every nook and cranny.You will need a ford cv boot clamp $8.50 and CV boot clamp pliers $9.00 most auto parts stores.It worked for me,no more thump!I cleaned male and female spline with brake clean (no grease residue/must be perfectly clean).Be sure to let dry 10-15minutes to ensure completely dry so grease can adhere properly.This fix calmed my nerves down,and I am once again happy with the best truck made "FORD 150"

Last edited by fittyford; 02-22-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: add cleaning information
Old 02-22-2012, 12:32 AM
New User

fittyford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post

Top > Engine Systems > Engine Lubricants > Grease & Applicators > Mercury 2-4-C with Teflon 8 oz. Tube
<< Prev Category 3 of 6 Next >> << Prev Product 10 of 10
Click the image to open in full size.Mercury 2-4-C with Teflon 8 oz. Tube

SKU: 92-802859A 1
PRICE: 6.99

Last edited by fittyford; 02-22-2012 at 12:35 AM. Reason: add description
Old 02-22-2012, 12:49 PM

sounds like a good product, and waterproof to boot.

it lists it as "extreme friction" but i cannot find any reference to "extreme pressure"

generally speaking, as i have been told anyway, you want a grease that is rated for "extreme pressure" on the slip yoke.

obviously, you are happy with the performance, so it is worth trying, i would think.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Senior User

Ford8502 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Here's a link for a Suzuki and Toyota site that sells the Ford lube and describes how to use the lube on Toyotas. It's priced similar to the marine lube above. I think the key is getting the parts clean and then adding enough lube to do the job as fittyford said. From the other site:

"When you are hitting the brakes on your Toyota Tacoma, Hilux, 4Runner or Sequoia and there almost seems like someone is hitting you in the rear it most likely is the cause of the drive line or drive shaft splines not lubricated.

This is the best lubricant on the market for driveshaft slip yokes. It has a PTFE base, usually known as Teflon, most of which you see in heim joints or rod ends for great wear-ability. PTFE is also used in high friction applications because it does not easily get washed off when hit with water.

Many Toyota technicians have found this to be the fix to an annoying problem that exists on almost All Toyota vehicles over time. Yes it is a Motorcraft item... but its the best thing for Toyota's! We keep this in stock because we have found that even most Ford dealerships do not...and we offer it at a better cost to you!

Part of what the bottle says:

-Eliminates grunt type noise in driveshaft slip yokes

-Eliminates interior and exterior squeaks

-Good general purpose grease containing (PTFE), for use on plastic, rubber and metal surfaces."
Toyota PTFE Teflon Driveshaft Slip Yoke Grease Lubricant Lube Ford Motorcraft XG-8 (ML1167/31508-42027)
Old 02-22-2012, 01:37 PM