Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-22-2012, 02:25 PM
New User

fittyford is starting off with a positive reputation.
mercury 2-4-c marine lubricant recommended uses : steering systems,cable linkages,throttle and shift cables and linkages,remote controls,propeller shafts,swivel pins,DRIVE SHAFT SPLINES,tilt lock mechanisms,tilt tubes,hinge pins and trailer wheel bearings,extremely water resistant,won't break down when mixed with water.Contains teflon for added friction reduction and reduced wear.This stuff is used on HINCKLEY (multi-million dollar) YACHTS.My truck does not thump and the downshifts are now smooth due to no more bind at spline.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Posting Guru

tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.
So can someone give a non-gearhead a good step-by-step of performing this procedure? I have the bump, without question... trying to determine if this is a project for the driveway or the dealer.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsjr View Post
So can someone give a non-gearhead a good step-by-step of performing this procedure? I have the bump, without question... trying to determine if this is a project for the driveway or the dealer.
VERY EASY! You need ford cv boot clamp $8.50 Cv boot clamp pliers $9.00 and Mercury marine grease with teflon (2-4-c) part nbr 92-802863a $10.00 3/8 drive 12mm 12point socket ;assume you have late model F150 2008-2012....
Click the image to open in full size.
2009-2010 Ford F-150 Rear Driveshaft Slip/ Bump

Last edited by fittyford; 02-22-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: option motorcraft grease
Old 02-22-2012, 10:37 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fittyford View Post
VERY EASY! You need ford cv boot clamp $8.50 Cv boot clamp pliers $9.00 and Mercury marine grease with teflon (2-4-c) part nbr 92-802863a $10.00 3/8 drive 12mm 12point socket ;assume you have late model F150 2008-2012....
Click the image to open in full size.
2009-2010 Ford F-150 Rear Driveshaft Slip/ Bump
motorcraft PTFE LUBRICANT XG-8A 1LB CAN $29.00 blue in color looks like blue whip cream /this did not last for me / I prefer the marine grease $10.00 / the splines are teflon coated
Old 03-10-2012, 01:19 AM
New User

FIX slip yoke thump;cut a 3/4 inch heater hose 2 and 1/4inch long,put it into female slip yoke (sideways) then insert the male end of rear drive shaft into female slip yoke after apply ford xg-8 blue grease.Got this fix from a ford dealer mechanic in Atlanta.So...the hose will be between the female slip yoke and male end rear driveshaft exerting a constant mild pressure between the two preventing a bind that cause THUMP.This is supposed to be a final fix.Good Luck!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:19 PM
New User

tharding is starting off with a positive reputation.
THEY FINALLY GOT IT FIXED!!!
Here is what they did @ ford dealership.
"Test elect transmission. Check Oasis for symptoms. Found TSB 11-08-12. Reprogram PCM & TCM and reset adaptive strategy" They said it is key to do these at the same time. Hope this will help someone else.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Elder User

Pool Runner has a very good reputation on FTE.Pool Runner has a very good reputation on FTE.Pool Runner has a very good reputation on FTE.
Whoo Hooo Thank you Ford! My annoying slip/ bump is finally fixed and my truck feels like it should have when it rolled off the assy line. Seriously was losing sleep att night thinking this was how a Ford truck was supposed to feel.

My dealer replaced my entire drive-shaft and the shifting and slow-speed driving is fantastic. Even the shudder I had around 20 mph is gone. I don't know what the problem was but my OEM drive-shaft was really rusty looking even when my truck had 20 miles on it. The new one looks to be aluminum, not a hint of rust anywhere on the driveshaft. I've got the two-piece one and it looks like they replaced the entire thing plus the carrier bearing.

If any of you are still suffering from the bump that happens 1/2 second after you come to a complete stop. The re-grease/ boot TSB I had done twice did not work at all. The driveshaft replacement has.

2013 Subaru Outback, 2.5i, Limited
Old 04-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Posting Guru

Bart99GT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meborder View Post
slip-bump isn't exclusive to ford. I know a few chebbie owners that have been plagued by this issue as well.

i think chebby was even nickle plating the slip yoke, and they still had problems.

i'm guessing it is not an easy problem to fix, there is a lot of pressure on the splines, and quite a bit of movement.
My 99 TJ did the same thing until I greased the splines on the rear driveshaft when I replaced a noisy U joint a few months ago. There was only a very small amount of lube on it from the factory.

I just used regular high temp bearing grease, so far it hasn't come back after about two months of driving.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:24 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
Whoo Hooo Thank you Ford! My annoying slip/ bump is finally fixed and my truck feels like it should have when it rolled off the assy line. Seriously was losing sleep att night thinking this was how a Ford truck was supposed to feel.

My dealer replaced my entire drive-shaft and the shifting and slow-speed driving is fantastic. Even the shudder I had around 20 mph is gone. I don't know what the problem was but my OEM drive-shaft was really rusty looking even when my truck had 20 miles on it. The new one looks to be aluminum, not a hint of rust anywhere on the driveshaft. I've got the two-piece one and it looks like they replaced the entire thing plus the carrier bearing.

If any of you are still suffering from the bump that happens 1/2 second after you come to a complete stop. The re-grease/ boot TSB I had done twice did not work at all. The driveshaft replacement has.
Glad to see that it worked for you sir. Keep us in the loop on her future performance issues, good bad or otherwise.

Additional post 4-18-12: I crawled under my truck to look things over and much to my amazement, I have the one piece drive shaft and it's aluminum. My truck is an early build 1/2011. It amazes me as to how different some of the truck are based on build dates and locations.

Why would a 4x2 Scab have a two piece drive shaft and my 4x4 has a single piece?
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 05-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Junior User

ilmo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post

Took mine in to the dealer and they are going to replace the driveshaft. I didn't ask, but I hope this means the entire two pieces and the carrier bearing. The tech had found burrs, but didn't specify the exact location. I have already had the slip yoke greased one time.

Looking forward to a real solution. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 AM
Senior User

JeepPuller is starting off with a positive reputation.
I too am getting the bump at stops again. I had the dealer address it 2 years ago, but it is back. Time to get it done again.
1991 Jeep YJ - resto-mod
Old 05-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Elder User

Pool Runner has a very good reputation on FTE.Pool Runner has a very good reputation on FTE.Pool Runner has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
Glad to see that it worked for you sir. Keep us in the loop on her future performance issues, good bad or otherwise.

Additional post 4-18-12: I crawled under my truck to look things over and much to my amazement, I have the one piece drive shaft and it's aluminum. My truck is an early build 1/2011. It amazes me as to how different some of the truck are based on build dates and locations.

Why would a 4x2 Scab have a two piece drive shaft and my 4x4 has a single piece?
My guess is that a two-wheel truck needs a slightly longer drive-shaft as there is no center T-case? A two part unit would be stronger and have less vibration than one super long one. But that's my 2 cents and I am not an engineer.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Elder User

Just wanted to add that I've probably put 2500 miles on the new drive shaft, and every everything is still drum tight. I drive this truck pretty hard too.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Freshman User

Chillman15 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the same problem 2000 miles ago. Used marine Grease and packed it as full as I could get it. I left the truck sit for about an hour after I tightened the last bolt. Knock on wood no problems yet.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 PM
New User

chillman put the 3/4 heater hose side ways between male and female drive shaft splines and you will never have a problem again,even if there are burs on the splines. I used this solution with xg8 ford blue grease on my truck 5000 miles age and on my nephew 2011 ford 150 ecoboost 3000 miles.This ends your thump PERIOD! If your problem returns,give it a try (marine or xg8 ford blue grease)
Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150

Tags
10226, 150, 2010, 2011, bulliten, company, f150, ford, grease, imput, moter, service, shaft, slip, tech, tsb, yoke