Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks > '80-'86 HOWTO's
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2011, 08:51 PM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
ctubutis ctubutis ctubutis
HOWTO - Firewall Flex/Crack Repair

Provided by FullSizeBronco.com Click the image to open in full size.

Fire Wall clutch plate 101

Quote:
Hello,

A little history here about what happens with some of the Ford trucks and the clutch actuation and the inherent problems that can occur.

There are a few reasons behind clutch problems with 87-91 and up Ford trucks and Broncos with hydraulic master and slave cylinders for the poor operation of the clutch and listed below are some that I have personally encountered.

One of the primary concerns is the clutch actuating PIN on the cross shaft arm from the actual clutch pedal. Several different things at this point can go wrong.

* You have a worn bushing and the clutch actuating rod going into the MC falls off repeatedly. Buy a new bushing and install. 5 minute repair
* The worn bushing is missing from lots of neglect and now you have worn the clutch actuating rod eye into an oval and subsequently you have less and less ability to engage the clutch often thinking this is a worn clutch disc symptom.

Click the image to open in full size.

* The clutch rod now very oval has now worn a massive amount from the pin and you have little to no clutch at this point and encounter grinding and poor shifts. My clutch pin was almost worn completely in half.

* The firewall has begun to crack around the Master Cylinder mounting holes, or the de-laminating of the outer piece of reinforcement plate in the engine compartment. Sometimes a combination of both or all of the described symptoms happen. These cracks and de-lamination are often caused by pressing hard on the clutch because of the aforementioned problems with pins and clutch rods. This “cracking” of the firewall is the reason for this particular tech article here today. You can see the seam sealant cracked and this is where my firewall flex was happening.

Provided by axman_F250 Click the image to open in full size.

hydraulic clutch, firewall flex repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman_F250 View Post
My beast.. 84 F250, 460, T19.

Among many other repairs, I'm doing the clutch, pressure plate, throwout & pilot bearings, and surface the flywheel. Also will replace clutch master cyl, slave cyl, and hose. Reading about clutch issues here, I learned about firewall flex. My firewall is cracked 3 places around the clutch master cyl.

Also, the clutch master cyl push rod is seriously worn, as is the stud on the pedal bellcrank arm - the stud is about 1/2 gone..

Provided by IDIDieselJohn Click the image to open in full size.

Clutch Firewall Re-enforment plate installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn View Post
Howdy everyone.

Since I stripped down my new cab, I installed my clutch firewall plate witch I bought off Jason (freebird01) on oilburners at the IDI weekend. 75$ and it's 1 gauge thicker steel then the factory Ford one.

Started be trying it out, and already was a very close fit, only had to bend it slightly and hit the firewall on the side just a lil bit with the hammer, and perfect fit

To hold it in place, used the 2 holes for the clutch master.

Just used 2 bolts I found

Next found 4 bolts in the glove box witch I think are from the steering column witch the scrap yard removed and stuck 'em in the holes around the column hole. And with the plate held in place, drilled the holes.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:51 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks > '80-'86 HOWTO's