1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 F1 Bed Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 07:52 PM
hillbilly1951
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood Latch Question

Hey Guys,

A little help if you can. My paint man took the hood latch off the front of the truck when he disassembled for painting and I am not clear on how it goes back together. i have a large platch with a slide latch on it (appears to center off the middle of the upper valance with the flat slide to the drivers side) but I am not clear how the other pieces go in. There is one rustly looking latch with a hook type latch on it and a bracket with a twisted piece to one side and a flat playe opposite it and then the latch that one pushes to open the hood when closed. springs, etc rounds it all out. Is there a diagram or something available to help here??

Thanks for any assistance.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:15 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's the diagram.

If you have a 52 hood, the safety catch bracket is bolted to the hood, like below.

If you have a 51 hood, the safety catch bracket is spot welded to the hood, like below.

The safety catch itself is pinned through the bracket with a pin and spring.

The hood latch pin assembly consists of the following parts.

And assembled like this.

Press in on the bottom to screw the bolt through the welded nut in the hood.

Final product should look like this.

The hood latch release bolts to the upper grille panel (not pictured, but is seen in the diagram).

Old 09-29-2012, 08:24 PM
hillbilly1951
Freshman User
Thank you Panelman! That is exactly what I am looking for. Hopefully, i can figure it out. Am I correct in thinking that the large flate plate bolts to the TOP of the upper valance? From the drawing it appears it is below it

Old 09-29-2012, 09:00 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by hillbilly1951
Thank you Panelman! That is exactly what I am looking for. Hopefully, i can figure it out. Am I correct in thinking that the large flate plate bolts to the TOP of the upper valance? From the drawing it appears it is below it
No problem. Glad to help. Could you reference to part numbers from the drawing for your question? It would take out the guesswork on my part.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:06 PM
hillbilly1951
Freshman User
The large plate that the latch (16674) piviots for opening. It appears to drop through the opening in the valance and then twist slightly into position and is held into place with 4 bolts?

Old 09-29-2012, 09:35 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
I think you mean the latch itself, 16774 (couldn't find 16674). The latch sits on top of the upper panel (between the upper fenders and above the grille) and is bolted down with 6 flathead bolts.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:09 PM
hillbilly1951
Freshman User
Hey Panel Man. I got the latch assembly installed and in place, but am struggling with the safety latch. I honestly think I am missing something, but the painter swears he bagged it all up. If necessary i can take a picture of what I have but the safety latch seems to have been removed as a single item and a long spring. The spring has a long straight piece with a hook on he end that appears to attach to a bar attaced to the underside of the hood several inches away from the actual latch. My confusion is how the actual match attaches (the drawing is not clear on it). It appears to attach with two offset screws at the front and O ne screw thru a piece of steel that is twisted and about 3" long. One end would bolt straight down and the twisted end bolts at an angle to something? I just can't find what!! The photo you enclosed appears t o have a bolt thru the back side of the front of the bottom of the hood front but I see no way a bolt would connect to the piece I have and in that position. Can you help me to understand this?

Old 10-01-2012, 10:31 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Sorry, I missed this post. Email me with your pictures at modelking2000 at hotmail dot com. I'll take a look and let you know.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:23 PM
johnnydevil55
Senior User
A big thanks to hillbilly51 for his southern hospitality. you could'nt meet a nicer guy and that 51 looks even better in person.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 PM
hillbilly1951
Freshman User
Many thanks for the kind words, Johnny. Maybe it is the "southern" in your daddy, but you are pretty ok yourself. It was super meeting you both. Let's stay in touch and compare notes as you get into working your truck.. My plans are to hit my hard tomorrow, and with a little good fortune, I may put it on the street this weekend. Pictures coming soon!!

Old 10-06-2012, 03:17 PM
hillbilly1951
Freshman User
PanelMan

I have sent the pictures with a short explantion as to what I see. email is from jlarrygill@verizon.net

Old 10-07-2012, 11:40 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Here's the picture of your hood safety catch and parts you emailed to me.

It looks like half of the hood safety catch bracket is missing. I can see the half on the right, but not the half on the left. The other two pieces are not part of the safety catch assembly, nor do I believe that they are stock to the truck.

You should be able to insert the whole safety catch assembly as is from the inside of the hood. If not, then the bracket needs to be bolted to the inside of the hood first, slip the safety catch from the outside (bottom) of the hood and reassembly with the spring and pin through the bracket on the inside.

Many times the safety catch brackets break in half. Your painter may have lost the broken half.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Roadkinghi
Freshman User
My F3 had wood cross member. I changed it to an F1, well partially it is F3runnig gear withF 1 bed...new bed has no wood cross members.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:57 PM
hillbilly1951
Freshman User
Hey Penalman. Thanks for the help. I think I have it figured then. The two odd parts had me crossed up. What had me confused was that the parts were actually secured to the safety latch. In fact , so secured the bolts were rusted and difficult to remove. The piece you think might be missing is actually on there. It is a 2nd bolt hole that is formed by a U-shaped bracket with the part the picture shows. The holes are offset and correspond to the holes in the hole. all I need to do is to cut out one bolt that is still in the hood and it should work. One more question? There is a long spring, probably 4" long that seems to be a part of it. does it attach to this latch on one end and then to a bar attached to the underside of the hood (in the area beneath where you might see a hood ornament)?

Old 10-07-2012, 05:01 PM
hillbilly1951
Freshman User
Thanks Roadknight. You are correct. I have since discovered my bed was built incorrectly. The last owner put the bed boards above the folded out edges on the left and right side of the bed (used those as a base starting point) and then used 4 - 1"x3" as supports to the wood bed floor. I have since bought a new bed, have it correctly installed on my truck, and the old bed has since moved to a suberb of Pittsburgh to be installed on a yankee doodle F1. Can we say re-cycled?

Quick Reply: 1951 F1 Bed Question