Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Elder User

kotzy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Put a leak tester on that engine and look at the lifter bores I think you will find it leaking oil around each lifter. I have seen several of these blocks that had the bores bored out no doubt on a vertical milling machine and steel sleeves install. This engine is great except for one issue with the oiling system. The pump feeds the main oil gallery which is then bored thru for the lifters, holes are drilled at 90 degrees into each cam bearing bore. The cam bearings are drilled at two places they are also grooved. The oil comes into the bearing thru the groove and the second hole feeds the mains. All works well
until the cam bearings wear and the oil pressure drops why they didn't cut grooves in the cam bearing bore and drill a metered hole to feed the cam bearngs and catch the mains off the groove on the backside that would eliminate that problem of pressure loss to the cam bearings. Finally let me say this is a very strong reliable engine I took care of a fleet of them(newspaper) and they ran the heck out of them. I have two connecting rods out on my toolbox all twisted up like pretzels once and a while they do come apart.
kotzy
Old 02-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Junior User

Tote-M-Pole is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotzy View Post
Put a leak tester on that engine and look at the lifter bores I think you will find it leaking oil around each lifter. I have seen several of these blocks that had the bores bored out no doubt on a vertical milling machine and steel sleeves install. This engine is great except for one issue with the oiling system. The pump feeds the main oil gallery which is then bored thru for the lifters, holes are drilled at 90 degrees into each cam bearing bore. The cam bearings are drilled at two places they are also grooved. The oil comes into the bearing thru the groove and the second hole feeds the mains. All works well
until the cam bearings wear and the oil pressure drops why they didn't cut grooves in the cam bearing bore and drill a metered hole to feed the cam bearngs and catch the mains off the groove on the backside that would eliminate that problem of pressure loss to the cam bearings. Finally let me say this is a very strong reliable engine I took care of a fleet of them(newspaper) and they ran the heck out of them. I have two connecting rods out on my toolbox all twisted up like pretzels once and a while they do come apart.
kotzy

kotzy,
Thanks for your reply, while I do not have your hands on experiance you pretty much verified my responce to F250 Restorer. My responce was solely based upon how a positive displacement pump works. A gear pump (such as used for an automotive oil pump) does not generate pressure. The only way pressure is generated is to have a restriction downstream of the pump. Since F250 said the mains/crank and cam bearings were good I deduced that the problem was downstream of that (however I did say that the pump to block interface gasket could be an issue) but if that were true those bearings would have also been an issue. Anyway thanks for the comment.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:16 AM
Senior User

jem44357 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My personal horror story is... mine is like a zombie I just can't seem to kill it and believe me I've tried!

Jim
2-93 4.9LEFI 5spd 150's to be-nazTeeruck Chopped/lowered 93 Ford F150. 4w Wildwood disc breaks. Dual fuel C3H8/C8H18. Turbo. Dual exhaust. 5spd. Complete rollbar bucketseats w/5 point restraint. Shortbox on longbox frame with diamond plate cover w/wing. C8H18fuel cell in da box. Diamond plate box between box&cab to hold 100lb. C3H8 tank. Front fuel filler door for C3H8/rear C8H18. Nastruck tires and wheels*DEBUT2020DetroitAutorama*/92F1504wd/FFR MK3 Roadster 78 309i6 TCI AODE/Clifford intake Weber DCOE's 45mm 3x2/04 mustang/09GMC
Old 02-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Postmaster

F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotzy View Post
kotzy
Kotzy: What is a leak tester? And thanks for the info.

[SIGPIC]
Old 02-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Postmaster

optikal illushun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The original 300 in my truck died a horrible death. #5 spark plug tip broke off taking a piece of the ring and chipping a piston. I ran the **** out of it for 8 months pushing so much oil/blow by it would fill a windshield washer jug in my 60 mile drive to school and smoke like a fiend when i was stopped idling. It totally killed that cylinder (0 compression) so i was runnin with a 250 I-5 pullin 33" around town, interstate speeds (75-80 mph) and pullin big hills. It was so bad i had to drop it into drive 2 sometimes and rev the snot of out it (holdin 3500 rpm) to climb most hills at 55-60 mph. Not to mention holdin it to the floor board out the mountains on the weekends and it still kept going. I ran it out of oil several times to the point it would stall. Poured the oil that was pushed out from blow by, topped it off with 2 more quarts n it fired right up n ran great.

Then one day comin home from college i was givin it the nuts in drive 2 pullin the last big hill when it started to rap really bad. I kept on runnin it till it eventually overheated and locked up. Got it towed to my house, topped off the oil and coolant...fired it up and it STILL RAN although it was knockin harder then a crack ***** jonsin for a fix. I even drove it for a week around town until i decided to call it quits and have it towed to school so i could replace the engine. I tore the engine down to find #5 combustion chamber was all cracked and the pistion/ring damage. Amazingly the bore was still in good shape on #5 and the bearings werent to bad, a little blue but not bad.
5.4/Auto/EXSB/Silver n DSG/Stock
1988 F350 Custom 4x4
7.3 IDI NA/ZF/35"s
Old 02-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Elder User - What???

Yaga1973 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983F1503004x4 View Post
I could only imagine what a new Ford 300-6 would do with twin-turbo's like the new Ecoboost motors.
That would be an awesome engine!
Planned mods: Offy DP Intake, 600 CFM Edelbrock, EFI Exhaust, Walker Y Pipe
Old 02-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Junior User

Dunnrightmobile is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaga1973 View Post
That would be an awesome engine!
There would be no reason for deisle any more
Old 02-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Elder User

kotzy is starting off with a positive reputation.
A leak tester is nothing more than a small tank perhaps 2 to 3 gallon. It has two 1/4 inch fittings in it one fitted with a Schrader valve and a Gauge the other with a 1/4 inch hose, It also has a pipe plug 1/2 or 3/4 NPT into which you put engine oil. The hose is then attached to the engines oiling system which has the pan removed when the air charged tank [usually about 30PSI] is turned on the oil is pushe d thru the engine and the loose bearng what have you that causes the pressure drop shows up. kotzy
Old 02-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Elder User

732t37 has a good reputation on FTE.732t37 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnrightmobile View Post
There would be no reason for deisle any more
I agree. Today's diesels have none of the advantages over gas that the old ones had, plus No. 2 oil consistently costs about $0.5 more than gas, per gallon.

300,000 miles is a completely reasonable expectation for a fleet-maintained 4.9, which is more than many of today's diesels.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Posting Guru

kedwinh is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 732t37 View Post
I agree. Today's diesels have none of the advantages over gas that the old ones had, plus No. 2 oil consistently costs about $0.5 more than gas, per gallon.
Sorry but have to disagree with that one. Modern diesel motors still out perform gas motors when it comes to fuel consumption. And they can almost match the gas engine in every other way also. It's just that the US is so far behind the rest of the world in development with them we just don't see it much here. I love my 300 but I'd prefer a diesel that could do highway speeds and still deliver 20+mpg.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Elder User

Don't get me wrong, I love what, in theory, Diesel engines are. I will admit that by design, Diesels are more thermally efficient than gas engines. They put out some pretty impressive torque too, leaving even the torque-monster 4.9 in the dust. And I absolutely love the IDIs, there is no question that I would get one of them if I ever had a need for something bigger than a 0.5 ton.

What troubles me is that Diesels are losing the reliability and longetivity edge over gassers due to EPA rules, the ones we have now are extremely finicky compared to gassers and when something actually does break it costs a ton of money to fix it. Additionally, also thanks to electric fuel injection, it's of utmost necessity to burn exactly the right fuel, even the dye in heating oil can clog them. They also seem to have catastrophic failures sooner than a lot of gas engines due to the likelihood that one of the hundreds of accessories and spaghetti bowl of tubes and wires will break.

I suppose it might be fairer to say I would prefer a 2x turbo 4.9 over a contemporary US-market Diesel, but certainly not over a normal Diesel that will run with the key turned off.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:28 AM
Posting Guru

Yea I agree with that, the EPA is the main reason we don't have diesels in this country that compare to those in Europe., like the 72mpg smart car. Bang for the buck the 300 is still my choice. The cost and weight of a good diesel replacement far outweigh the benefits of such a swap, but a twin turbo EFI 300 does sound like something I'd like to see.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:06 AM
Elder User

rangergirl94 is starting off with a positive reputation.
All the tests I read the new diesels. Loaded avg 8/9 MPG with 10,000 lbs. Really my old idi kills that
Old 02-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Elder User

I think one of the largest reasons Diesels get a bad rap here in the US is that they've never been offered in a size comparable to the gassers they're competing with.

IMO Ford should import the 2.2-liter Duratorq I4 Diesel from our good buddy the UK. I'll bet that if they did the reputation of Diesels among the general populace would go way up.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 732t37 View Post
I think one of the largest reasons Diesels get a bad rap here in the US is that they've never been offered in a size comparable to the gassers they're competing with.

IMO Ford should import the 2.2-liter Duratorq I4 Diesel from our good buddy the UK. I'll bet that if they did the reputation of Diesels among the general populace would go way up.
Very true. I'm not sure if it's the major auto manufactures or the EPA/Government that keeps them out but there are some very very good diesel motors out there. Take the Triad, I think it's called, in the UK. 160mph at 60 mpg, now that's hard to beat. Or the smart car. The one they sell here with the gas engine does what, 50mpg? The same car with the diesel they sell in Canada and Europe with the diesel does 70+mpg. But even the older 4bta diesel is reported to do around 25mpg in an F150, empty at highway speeds, and matches the 300 in hp and torgue ratings. I've thought a lot about swapping in one myself and still might if my 300 ever dies.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:50 PM