Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2014, 09:31 AM
New User

skclouse is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djcoak View Post
Why is no one contacting a lawyer, this has to be a fairly common issue and ripe for a class action lawsuit.

I know multiple people with well over 200k on these motor without even a burp. Weird
Yeah, I have thought the same thing. It is a huge issue with these engines. There is no reason why some start having these issues at 10K and others at 100K.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:37 AM
New User

Djcoak is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skclouse View Post
Yeah, I have thought the same thing. It is a huge issue with these engines. There is no reason why some start having these issues at 10K and others at 100K.
I wouldn't want a huge payday, I just don't want to get stuck with a huge repair bill for fords mess up and I get that things wear out however this seems to be a known issue and defect with this motor. Problem is I am probably upside down to trade it off now.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:40 AM
New User

So if this is just a low idle problem why not just bump the idle up?
Old 04-29-2014, 11:44 AM
New User

skclouse is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djcoak View Post
So if this is just a low idle problem why not just bump the idle up?
It's not a low idle problem its a low oil pressure problem. You can bump up the idle but when the oil thins from heat you will still have low pressure which will result in more problems with the engine.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:43 PM
New User

Seems odd all the 5.4 motors running around are all destroying themselves
Old 04-30-2014, 06:16 AM
New User

While not our exact problem it looks like the same parts replaced for a good fix as it addresses the low oil pressure to the top of the motor

The Final Repair Guide to 5.4 Cam Phaser Tick/Knock Sound - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans
Old 05-02-2014, 01:26 PM
New User

Sleuthsnoopy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Curious if anyone has figured out the exact cause other than oil pressure?

I have a 5.4L 2002 Blackwood and I have been trying to diagnose my issue for some time. No codes are thrown and my mechanic put on his computer and said slight misfires in 1,3,4 cylinders with 1 being the worst at 1200 and the others at 3-600.
I replaced the 1234 coils and the truck still has a slight shake at idle, in gear and neutral. Idle is at 700 rpm constantly with no fluctuation. When u start the truck it seems fine then you feel a slight shake in seat and car. Applying throttle takes that shake away.
Same as when driving, it drives great but at stops the truck has a slight shake to it with the Rpms staying the same. It doesn't try to stall out but the shake feels as if it would eventually want to if the problem got worse.

I just had a pcv valve and vacuum line replaced and the valve cover gaskets replaced (oil in plug holes) as well as spark plugs and had that done cause of this shake but it is still there.

there is a loader than usual suction through the intake hose that goes to the EGR valve by the brake booster. I can squeeze the hose to stop the sound but it doesn't seem to change the engine rpm.
I cleaned the IAC and the MAF but nothing seems to take the shake away. it's not a bad shake its just not something that it should be doing. When I cleaned the IAC it had a whine from the cold air intake but went away so chalked that up to a hiccup.

I have been reading here and other places and thought I would replace the IAC and the EGR but didn't want to spend the money if it would be just one of them.
I even thought maybe it was the balancer or the timing.

I posted here because it seems my problem is about the same minus the knocking noise.

Thanks

Well I ruled out the IAC cause I replaced it. It still has a slight shake. revving it up it seems lil it turns into a vibration between 1500-2000Rpm. Ofcourse when I replaced it it seemed better but that was a fleeting moment. lol So I'm back to thinking its an injector cause replacing the IAC the noise of suction out of the one vacuum hose is gone but the shake remains.

Can't be the torque converter so maybe the harmonic balancer or just 1-2 injectors which I just put in a bottle of techron since two bottles of lucas didn't help. Idk

Last edited by Sleuthsnoopy; 05-02-2014 at 02:37 PM. Reason: update-
Old 05-02-2014, 04:01 PM
New User

I reset the Pcm hoping that would fix the issue but it remains the same.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:16 PM
New User

Talked with my mechanic. The fix is a new engine. You can fix it temporarily but the engine will eventually go. I am ditching my truck ASAP.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:45 PM
New User

Curious... I tired to test the engine with out the serpentine belt but I couldn't even budge the tensioner. Hmmm.

Also my EGR valve is way back under the cowl behind the firewall so I unhooked the hose from the solenoid and at idle when cold the EGR had suction. Even when at operating temp the EGR had suction. I thought it was suppose to close? I test the other tube from solenoid (white hose) on other side of engine and it had suction as well to suggest the solenoid was open at cold and at hot.
So I am guessing that means the solenoid is bad since at one of them, cold or hot, the erg is suppose to be closed and the way my test went it would suggest to me that both items are bad. EGR and EGR solenoid, right?

Thanks
Old 05-04-2014, 08:48 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuthsnoopy View Post
Curious... I tired to test the engine with out the serpentine belt but I couldn't even budge the tensioner. Hmmm.

Also my EGR valve is way back under the cowl behind the firewall so I unhooked the hose from the solenoid and at idle when cold the EGR had suction. Even when at operating temp the EGR had suction. I thought it was suppose to close? I test the other tube from solenoid (white hose) on other side of engine and it had suction as well to suggest the solenoid was open at cold and at hot.
So I am guessing that means the solenoid is bad since at one of them, cold or hot, the erg is suppose to be closed and the way my test went it would suggest to me that both items are bad. EGR and EGR solenoid, right?

Thanks
You might have a different issue than most of us here.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:17 AM
New User

My problem is fixed. I pick up my 2014 silverado tomm. It's a shame, I liked my F150 but if I factor in an engine change, the monthly cost is only 20 dollars less than a new truck. I can't afford the downtime or hassle either. So it will go to auction and someone else can deal with it. This is the last POS ford I will ever own.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:17 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)

Tags
07, 1997, 54, 54l, cleaning, egr, engine, ford, idol, liter, nocks, rpm, shaking, tapping, time, valve