Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2012, 03:50 AM
New User

Texas-Toad is starting off with a positive reputation.
3/4 Ton Ford vs Dodge

I am considering a 3/4 Ton GASOLINE Crewcab, 4x4 with an 8 foot bed....

Please let me know of the pro's and con's of these two.

I have an inflatable moonwalk business and intend to use the truck to deliver the units and I intend to get a travel trailer. The inflatables are bulky, and 3 of them may weigh 1200 lbs combined, and the travel trailer I am looking at is 33', and may weigh about 7500 lbs loaded...

I have a 2011 f-150 Crewcab 4x4 ecoboost now and realize that I can get by with it, but I will feel more comfortable in a 3/4 ton while towing, and I will be able to use the 8' bed more while I deliver moonwalked...

... Your comments and advice are appreciated.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Posting Guru

SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.
Not too sure on the gasser 3/4 Ram with the Hemi but I know a few with the new 6.2L gasser in their Super Duties and they like it. I say seeing you are going with a gas motor, I would take the Ford. IMHO, they are too close to call in the interior department and fit and finish is a toss up.

Go with the Ford.
2000 Excursion Limited - 7.3 Diesel - Mine
2005 Freestar Sport - The wife's
Old 03-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Posting Guru

monckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to behold
As a mechanic I avoid Dodge due to higher parts and higher used parts prices.

Buy the most common vehicle whenever there's a choice.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Posting Guru

Sand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud of
A while back my Dad was selling his '01 Dodge and let me drive it for a week to see if I liked it enough to buy it. I did not. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't force myself to like it enough to buy. Instead I bought an '04 Ford F250 and absolutely love it. Much better in every way.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Post Fiend

kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by monckywrench View Post
As a mechanic I avoid Dodge due to higher parts and higher used parts prices.

Buy the most common vehicle whenever there's a choice.
The cheapest for parts are GM.
I think you will have to drive both & decide. I know nothing about the 6.2 Ford. The 6.2 board here should be a good place to learn about its pros & cons.
As for the 5.7 Hemi it has been around for awhile. I know it is like many of the newer gas engines & is a high winder. But it tows OK. Again plug into a Dodge truck forum & see what they say.
I don't buy new & when I decided to rid myself of my 86 F250 4x4 460/C-6 I started looking for a replacement. The Hemi was a possibility but I'm not a fan of these high RPM engines. So as I looked I found that for towing our 10,000 TT I liked the stuff I heard & read about Dodges 4x4 V-10 488 CI, 325 HP/450 ft.lbs @ 2400 RPM. With a NV 4500 transmission & 3:55 gears. I found one with 72,000 miles cheap & bought it. So far I really like it. Next weekend I will tow our trailer 600 miles back to Arizona & it will be the first real test of how it tows. Based on pulling our trailer 120 miles earlier from 3300 ft elev. to 7000 ft on a 33 mile climb I must say it was impressive.
So bottom line in my opinion is it is all a personal choice & what you like & feel comfortable with.
Best wishes.
Craig
Old 11-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Posting Guru

1972RedNeck is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The only reason to get a dodge is the cummins.
Originally Posted by HIO Silver View Post
Why polish a turd?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO Silver View Post
Based on everything I've here in Fte, websites, and articles, a 12-valve Cummins is the no-brainer choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater View Post
Ah, yes, the 460 phenomena, once Al Gore invented the internet the 460 found a place it could get double digit fuel economy.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Post Fiend

jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.
Since you are talking new, there is no Dodge anymore. Post-bailout Fiat re-branded the US Chrysler trucks as Ram.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:26 PM