Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I need help! 2000 7.3 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:31 PM
chris gates
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I need help! 2000 7.3 wont start

hello to all. i have a 2000 f350 7.3 that has been a bear to start even when warm lately. now it will not start at all. i changed the GPR, and the CPS, still no love. i have been doing alot of research online and i think i have narrowed it down to a few things. IPR? ICP? or HPOP. The only luck i have had starting it is when its cold and i top off the high pressure oil res. it is about 2" low before i fill it up, once it starts and is warm i hold it around 2000 rpm and it misses periodically but idles fine. after it gets hot i shut it off and it will not start again. i then check the res oil level and it is good about 1/2 from top. had new injectors installed 20000k ago, and they sound good. i check IPR connection and was good, IPC had oil on and some in connection, cleaned and no love. WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE HELP!!!! PS>LOVE MY FORD!!!!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:34 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 1999 - 2003 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel forum.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:23 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome to FTE Chris. I did answer one of your earlier posts in another thread.

Who did the injector install? There could be a problem there if the HPOP is bleeding off when sitting.

How much fuel does your truck have? On these trucks, the pickup tube can crack and the fuel pump will start to suck air, sometimes with a half a tank of fuel.

Where are you? A scan tool would be handy to have/borrow right about now.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:38 PM
chris gates
New User
thanx for the post john. i had a Diesel mechanic that works on fords and heavy equipment do the injectors. my truck have 3/4 tank right now. im in orangevale ca , near sac. if the hpop is bleeding off where would it be?

Old 02-16-2012, 06:39 PM
chris gates
New User
im still learning how to navigate this forum so bear with me.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:53 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by chris gates
im still learning how to navigate this forum so bear with me.
You're doing just fine. I moved your thread down here in order to try to get you better assistance.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:27 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Starting when cold and not starting when warm is usually a sign of worn o-rings or a sticking IPR. The colder (thicker) oil will build pressure better than the hot oil so it will start cold but not hot. I'd start by pulling the IPR and inspecting the o-rings on that or maybe trying to clean and rebuild it.

How much searching online have you done? Do you know where the IPR is or what to do with it? You can buy new IPR o-rings here Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 PM
badhabit1
Senior User
I think F350-6 is on the right track. You also mentioned that you had oil in the icp and cleaned it out. Cleaning it will not help, it is most likely shot. Unplug and try to start, the truck will run on pre-detemined programing. If it runs with it unplugged it's your icp. The icp sends a signal to the ipr, these combined control the pressure to your injectors. Now as far as F350-6's theory, take out the ipr and give it a good cleaning and inspect the orings. I had the exact same problem as you, wouldn't start hot, but my issue ended up being the electromagnet around the ipr.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:57 PM
chris gates
New User
bad habit 1 , i did unplug the icp and it still would not start. so i guess i need to pull the ipr? is the electromagnet part of the ipr? or is it another part of the hpop system?

Old 02-17-2012, 02:32 AM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by chris gates
hello to all. i have a 2000 f350 7.3 that has been a bear to start even when warm lately. now it will not start at all. i changed the GPR, and the CPS, still no love. i have been doing alot of research online and i think i have narrowed it down to a few things. IPR? ICP? or HPOP. The only luck i have had starting it is when its cold and i top off the high pressure oil res. it is about 2" low before i fill it up, once it starts and is warm i hold it around 2000 rpm and it misses periodically but idles fine. after it gets hot i shut it off and it will not start again. i then check the res oil level and it is good about 1/2 from top. had new injectors installed 20000k ago, and they sound good. i check IPR connection and was good, IPC had oil on and some in connection, cleaned and no love. WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE HELP!!!! PS>LOVE MY FORD!!!!
chris,

I am currently in sacramento for the weekend, and have AE. I am actually staying in fair oaks. Not sure what my schedule will be like, but if theres some free time that both of us have in common I would be more than happy to swing by and do some quick data logging for you and possibly help get you pointed in the right direction.

Meanwhile, pay attention to what I have highlighted and underlined. To me this says that somehow you are bleeding off HPO. Have you noticed any oil drips where you park? Is there any oil in the valley? The HPOP res being 2 inches low is a huge red flag in my opinion. After you get it started and then shut it of is the res back to being that low? If it is I would be inclined to think that you could have an issue with a sticking IPR. How long does it normally sit before you have checked the res? If it is drained down immediately, then I would say that you probably have an IPR that is stuck open and for some reason when you fill it up youre getting enough oil to create the pressure necessary to fire the injectors.

Regardless getting AE hooked up and viewing some live data when you are cranking and when it starts and does not start would be of great use. PM me your cell number and I'll shoot you a text tomorrow. I'm dealing with a family emergency so I'm not quite sure how much time I have this weekend, and I have to head back up to WA on monday, but if we can find a time that works it should only take about 30 mins to get enough data that the gurus on here can disect it and get you back on the road or at least headed in the right direction.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:20 AM
chris gates
New User
2000ca250: it would be so awesome if we could meet up. my cell # is (530)-798-6684 Thanks very much !

Old 02-17-2012, 10:27 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Be sure to let us know what you find out!!

Old 02-17-2012, 02:35 PM
badhabit1
Senior User
If you could make use of that AE that is being generously offered that would be able to tell you your high pressure oil psi. In the mean time, yes the electromagnet is actually visible behind the hpop in the engine valley. It actually surrounds the mechanical portion of the ipr. If you have a 1 1/8" size deep socket you can get it off (the ipr) and give it a good cleaning. Could be as simple as that. Search IPR removal, repair, rebuild, etc. Some good pics of it somewhere on this board, lol.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
hope u fix it quick and cheap.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:41 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
other than ICP and Duty cycle, anything else we should check guys? I'm gonna head over to help chris out on sunday and get some info from AE. Hopefully we are able to fix it.

Chris, if you see this check your engine oil level, I know it sounds silly, but if its been hard to start lately, and now is not starting at all, and all you found that works is re-filling the hpo res, then you might just have a leak and have been running dangerously close to being out of oil. The injectors in these engines are fired with oil (I'm sure you know that, but I figured I would say it for the benefit of anyone who happens across this thread in the future, and I have to remind myself sometimes) so if the engine oil gets below a certain point the engine wont even fire the injectors.

We will check out all the things associated with starting. If we can get it started then we can try to tackle why it wasnt starting while hot.

Quick Reply: I need help! 2000 7.3 wont start