2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leveling kit and bigger tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Weez1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leveling kit and bigger tire advice

I have a 2008 F150 Super crew 60th anniversary. I'd like to level the front end and possibly install suspension blocks in the rear to keep it level when there is weight in the box. Then I'd like to put bigger tires on my stock 18" rims.

Here are my questions:

1. How many inches leveling kit will make it straight with the rear?
2. What brand of leveling kit is recommended?
3. What's the biggest tire size I can go?
4. I'm thinking Nitto Trail Grappler, any other suggestions?)
5. What should I do to offset the bigger tires for programming (so the transmission and speedo function properly?)

Any other advice?

Thanks

Old 02-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Gundown64
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
1) People typically run anywhere from a 2-3" level. I have a 2.5" on mine and it is perfectly level, but if you went with a 2", you are not going to notice .5" I don't think. It depends on the brand and what size they sell though.

2) Everyone will have their own opinion, but because leveling kits are so simple, there is not a whole lot of "bad" brands out there. All the kits are are two blocks that sit on top of your struts. I went with Rough Country which are made of a very strong and high quality polymer. Other brands are metal, but in my opinion it really doesn't matter to much. However, the guy who put them on said that if anything was to go wrong, he'd rather have the polymer blocks break than the metal blocks doing the breaking. Regardless, I can confidently recommend Rough Country.

3) Sometimes you can squeeze in a 35", but you may run into rubbing issues. You can fit 33" no problem. That is what I run.

4) Nittos are great from what I hear. A couple people here run them and like them. I run Toyo M/Ts, but those are a different type of tire, lol.

5) I'll let the others answer that. A tuner is one option, though.

You'll love the leveled look though! Good luck!

Old 02-16-2012, 07:03 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
If you go with 33's you wont need to reprogram or anything. My speedo is off by 2 MPH, no big deal. I went with the Rancho leveling struts because my factory shocks were spent. Yours being an 08, your factory are prob ok. I also run 33 inch tires. I got Cooper discoverer AT 3's on mine. Here is a closer look at them.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-my-truck.html
Like Gundown said, you will love the leveled look. I love the stance of my truck now, so much more aggressive. I really didn't like the rake and put off doing something about it for years, I wish I woulda done it sooner.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:29 AM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 2.5" Hell Bent Steel kit on mine. I just orderd 295/70/r18 Nitto Trail Grappler tires. I have seen a picture of a truck that is the same color combo, has the same 2.5" lift, and the same tires I ordered and he was sayin that he had no rub at all with them. There is a pic of the truck I am talking about on F150online.com.

As far as the longevity of the Nittos go, I am a firm believer in them. I had two sets of Nitto Mud Grapplers on my Diesel f250 and both sets last over 30000 miles. Very good for a tire with much tread on them.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:07 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 3" level on mine with a 1" block on the rear and 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers. My tires have over 33k on them and still have lots of thread left. Once they wear out I will be going to 35" Trail Grapplers.

If you go 2.5 or less no need for the block in the rear. 3" puts the front just up a hair so the back is actually lower and needs the rear block. If you want it to be level with a load I recommend air bags on the back and a 2.5" kit on the front. Then you can add air to the back when needed to raise it up for the load you are carrying.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:31 PM
The Oldtimer
Senior User
Originally Posted by DieselBeast01
I have 2.5" Hell Bent Steel kit on mine. I just orderd 295/70/r18 Nitto Trail Grappler tires. I have seen a picture of a truck that is the same color combo, has the same 2.5" lift, and the same tires I ordered and he was sayin that he had no rub at all with them. There is a pic of the truck I am talking about on F150online.com.

As far as the longevity of the Nittos go, I am a firm believer in them. I had two sets of Nitto Mud Grapplers on my Diesel f250 and both sets last over 30000 miles. Very good for a tire with much tread on them.
I'm glad I read this thread. I have an 04 FX4 with just under 50 mi on the original tires. I have a leveling kit, and I am also getting ready to put the Nitto 295/70/18s on my stock rims, I am happy to find out that they won't rub.

Thanks for the info...!!!

Old 02-17-2012, 03:36 PM
Weez1
New User
Thanks for all the advice.

I'm not keen on buying a programer since i only really need it for the tire size calibration so i called the dealer to see if they could do it for me and they said they could for $50. They also said they would have to plug it in to see what options are available for tire size, and their programmer would only accept up to a maximum size but they won`t know until plugged in. The service guy doesn`t do it often enough to know off by heart. Can anybody comment on this? What's the maximum tire size allowable in the dealer programmer? He also mentioned if you use a programmer yourself, the warranty is void?

Old 02-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Gundown64
Senior User
Originally Posted by Weez1
Thanks for all the advice.

I'm not keen on buying a programer since i only really need it for the tire size calibration so i called the dealer to see if they could do it for me and they said they could for $50. They also said they would have to plug it in to see what options are available for tire size, and their programmer would only accept up to a maximum size but they won`t know until plugged in. The service guy doesn`t do it often enough to know off by heart. Can anybody comment on this? What's the maximum tire size allowable in the dealer programmer? He also mentioned if you use a programmer yourself, the warranty is void?
I remember a talk on here about the dealer calibrating for a larger tire. If i remember correctly, I think the largest they can go is around 33". And yea, tuners can void your warranty, but if you ever need to go in for some reason, you can always set the truck back to stock and remove the tuner and they won't even know. However, I think they can check if you've ever used one, but I think they only can if they look into your PCM or something.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:48 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by The Oldtimer
I'm glad I read this thread. I have an 04 FX4 with just under 50 mi on the original tires. I have a leveling kit, and I am also getting ready to put the Nitto 295/70/18s on my stock rims, I am happy to find out that they won't rub.

Thanks for the info...!!!

Yeah I was worried that they would rub then I found that picture on f150online.com. Here is the thread it is in if you want to see it...

295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers - F150online Forums

My truck is the exact same color and I have the exact same lift, so I was glad I got to see a preview of what it will look like with the trail grapplers and that they will not rub.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Blue Eyed Cyclops
Freshman User
How much caster adjustment needs to be made to the front end after the leveling kit is installed?

Old 02-20-2012, 12:41 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Blue Eyed Cyclops
How much caster adjustment needs to be made to the front end after the leveling kit is installed?
Not sure on this, as I don't have the tools to adjust mine. My truck will be getting aligned Thursday after they put my tires on it.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Gundown64
Senior User
Mine was basically ok after the level, only being un-aligned by a very small margin, but I had it properly aligned anyway. However, I am sure it would vary from truck to truck.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:36 PM
danorules
Postmaster
Not sure if you have a Firestone near you, but Saturday I put on my level kit and this morning I got aligned at Firestone. $135 for lifetime alignments after a $50 coupon. They did a great job

Old 02-20-2012, 02:05 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
Originally Posted by danorules
Not sure if you have a Firestone near you, but Saturday I put on my level kit and this morning I got aligned at Firestone. $135 for lifetime alignments after a $50 coupon. They did a great job
I don't but that sounds like a great deal for lifetime alignments!!

Old 02-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Coskid
Postmaster

Mine didn't have any caster issues after the install either. Simple alignment and I was down the road.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit and bigger tire advice