1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

53-56 F100 Frame Height

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 05:52 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
53-56 F100 Frame Height

For what it's worth, we've got a frame from a 54 panel in our driveway, along with the stock drivetrain and tires.

If anyone needs any frame msmts let me know. It's not often you have a frame sitting in your carport without a body on it!

As you all know, the panel frame is a pickup frame with a pair of short rear channel extensions bolted on the rear tips of the frame. I would imagine any long bed pickup used the same extensions.

If anyone wants a locked up 239 Yblock, 3spd trans or rear end for free, I'm the man to see.

Old 04-26-2003, 07:32 AM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
53-56 F100 Frame Height

'fenders... here is the substitute for a thousand words, it should keep this post to well under that. I am not crazy about Brett's suggestion for there are so many places to measure from.... "Measure from the bottom of the frame rail to the top of the leaf spring pack right by the axle housing spring pad mounting surface." I am not sure I know how to get an accurate measurement there without an extraordinary amount of tedium.
I measured where the kickup in the frame occurs and getting tape, camera and my big squash under the truck is tedious. The tape touches the frame and axle housing. The measurement to the top of the axle housing appears to be five inches. Is this helpful in any way? If not, you have this lovely picture to refer to.... Best. Himmelberg

Last edited by himmelberg; 04-26-2003 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-26-2003, 08:28 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
53-56 F100 Frame Height

Peter has it right on the nose. When you are messing with your suspension, the only variable that matters as far as ride height goes is the distance from the axle to the frame when you are done with your mods. Tire and wheel choices will, of course, also affect ride height but they can be considered separately.

I couldn't find it in a search, but some time ago we put together a short calculation that would let you figure out your frame height with a few simple measurements. Essentially, it boiled down to what Peter measured.

One of the shortest and most to-the-point posts lately - great post Peter! I really appreciate someone who can cut to the essence of the issue.

Old 04-26-2003, 08:38 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
53-56 F100 Frame Height

Peter

Thanks for the PIC, that is the measurement I was looking for. Now I am confused. It appears you are lower than I am with stock springs. As you have already mentioned, your springs may be fatigued. I agree.

Also, the cow painting in your gallery is very nice. I was thinking of buying it for RMF for Christmas. How much you want for it with shipping to Ottawa? Don't cut your self short on the price. You need some spring money.

Old 04-26-2003, 09:48 AM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
53-56 F100 Frame Height

'fenders... last weekend I had a half yard of dirt dumped in the bed for use in Mrs. H's lavender bed. You should have seen how low that made it. Am looking for someplace that re-arches springs.
Mural is NFS. Belongs to the Library now. Cost of a copy for our Canadian brother is negligible... cost of an 80' x 20' canvas is probably prohibitive.
Thanks for the kind words, George.
Peter

Old 04-26-2003, 01:52 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
53-56 F100 Frame Height

Peter,

Can you re-arch springs that are significantly fatigued? I believe yours probably are. I'm asking, I don't know. And very nice mural. Looked like quite a project. Do you paint a lot?

George

We better throw some kudos to Brett here. Peter took a picture of what Brett actually stated a couple days ago on this thread.

Everyone,

Still looking for anyone else with stock suspension who would take the axle to frame measurement. I don't think Peter's truck represents anything close to stock height anymore.

Old 04-26-2003, 04:01 PM
Earl
Postmaster
53-56 F100 Frame Height

'fenders, you're right! Brett, you get the cookie for the right idea.

Peter, shame on you for ... for ... for doing something. I'm so confused. Time for my medication.

'fenders, I can give you the measurement on Earl but I don't think it will help much given the lack of engine, transmission, cab, front body, and bed. Besides, Earl is an F-250.

Old 04-26-2003, 06:29 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
53-56 F100 Frame Height

"fenders, I can give you the measurement on Earl but I don't think it will help much given the lack of engine, transmission, cab, front body, and bed. Besides, Earl is an F-250."

George

I know you would help me out if you could. F250 measurement wouldn't be of any value this time. I am really wondering if I even have stock springs at this point. They are in awful good shape, only five leaves and similar to Peter's in ride height (8 leaf stock set I assume),that are probably tired out. Peter' truck must not have that sky high stock stance either, because mine is nowhere near stock height.

This isn't going anywhere. We are constantly advising guys here to pull a couple three leaves. I just thought if would be interesting to know how much drop occurs from this trick. It's not really going to be of any consequence if I don't find out.

Old 04-26-2003, 07:14 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
53-56 F100 Frame Height

You might only get the thickness of the 3 leaves. Wouldn't that put more stress on already tired springs? Would this not dearch them more?

Old 04-26-2003, 07:23 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
53-56 F100 Frame Height

Nathan

I am sure you get more than the thickness if the leaves removed. Just not sur ehow much.

And yes, if your springs are failing, pulling leaves would likely be a bad plan.

Old 04-26-2003, 08:26 PM
Earl
Postmaster
53-56 F100 Frame Height

Originally posted by fatfenders
... This isn't going anywhere. We are constantly advising guys here to pull a couple three leaves. I just thought if would be interesting to know how much drop occurs from this trick. It's not really going to be of any consequence if I don't find out.
Yeah, you almost need a complete truck with no load and good springs. Make a measurement, drop a couple of leaves, measure again, put the leaves back in to get back to "normal". Might not be too much work for somebody but I think it would have to be done on a single truck to eliminate the variation in spring pack age and truck weight.

I'll tell you what. I can try to find the nominal rear axle load in my shop manual tonight for my F-250 and then scrounge up an appropriate scale. I'll load up the rear of my frame on one side to the nominal weight and then do the spring leaf removal thing I outlined above. That would give the drop you get by removing leaves under nominal load for an F-250. Let me know if you think that would help you out. If not, I'll let somebody who's going to do it anyway on their F-100 or F-1 do the before and after measurements.

Old 04-26-2003, 09:37 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
53-56 F100 Frame Height

George

Thanks for the offer but that's too much trouble. I'll try to remember a tape measure. You suppose there just might be a couple of stock F100s in TN in a couple weeks?

Old 04-26-2003, 10:02 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
53-56 F100 Frame Height

Fenders,

If you can slide a piece of paper between the top of the axle housing and the bottom of the frame, then you ain't low enough.

Old 04-27-2003, 01:29 AM
Kecky
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
53-56 F100 Frame Height

It seems as though you have settled this issue but I spent so much time trying to actually get a photo that I thought I would post it anyway...

I can't believe how hard it was to hold a camera, postion a light, look through a view finder and try to get a decent picture at the same time. And I thought getting some rusted bolts off was hard.

Just addin my two cents..

Kevin

Old 04-27-2003, 07:08 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
53-56 F100 Frame Height

Kevin,

Thanks, its far from settled. Your measurement is what I expected to see. You are a little over 2 inches higher than I am. That makes a whole lot more sense after removal of three leaves from mine. I'll verify a couple more trucks but I expect 8+ inches in stock form. I bet they were 10+ new.

RMF

I grabbed a couple ratchet straps and winched my 9 in axle tubes up agin the frame last night. That suit ya? I'll pick up a set of them loboy billet caster wheels for the running boards at PF like you mentioned offline.

Quick Reply: 53-56 F100 Frame Height