Sponsored by:

Considering another X, Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Jbru167
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering another X, Any thoughts?

Considering a new X. I have a2003 XLT 6.0 PSD 150k Leather EGR delete and ARB studs. These are a couple I am considering. I figured my 03- should be worth $9-11K.

Ford : Excursion Ford : Excursion | eBay

2005 Used Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer Edition at Crencor Leasing & Sales Serving Goodlettsville, TN, IID 8152710

Old 02-16-2012, 09:57 AM
fishintheobx
Senior User
Wow...both very nice looking trucks. But you've stepped into a price range where if it were me, they both better be spot-on. I guess here's what I see if it were me:

The Black Limited - I'd want to know more about that Lift. What is it, who did it, and it better be able to run 75-80 mph down the interstate in a straight line. The "spring-swap boys" on here could look at that tell you more probably. Banks Power...could be good or bad. Personally I would never buy a 6.0 knowing it had been tuned in any way. There are way too many idiots out there that throw junk tunes on just to blow black smoke, and ruin engines, and the thing could be 80% screwed when you take it home for the first time.

The White '05 - I could be wrong, but I thought all EB's were two-tone (my '05 EB is Green/Tan, buddy's '02 EB is White/Tan). But things got a little crazy in '05 it seems. Where is the badging? The Carfax looks awesome, but I'd climb all over that frame. And the dealer would need to give me a good story on how the truck got from Iowa to TN...and it better check out. I don't trust Carfax.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:15 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Problems with yours? Seems like a lot of $$$ to jump up 2 model years and 50-70K fewer miles. I would think it should be worth more than 9-11K in typical condition.

If it's just the itch for newer and shinier, well I understand and can't help you there.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Jbru167
Senior User
I emailed the dealer and the banks is just a badge nothing on engine itself.

As far as the all white one i have found one other EB that is also all white. SO must of been an option in 05. THe dealer said customer dorve form Iowa to trade for F-350.

As far as mine goes we have taken a lot of trips in her and I have put 80K on in the past 4 years. Wife doesnt trust it anymore now that we have dropped about 5k in repairs over the past two years with EGR, oil cooler,head gaskets and A/C.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jbru167
I emailed the dealer and the banks is just a badge nothing on engine itself.

As far as the all white one i have found one other EB that is also all white. SO must of been an option in 05. THe dealer said customer dorve form Iowa to trade for F-350.

As far as mine goes we have taken a lot of trips in her and I have put 80K on in the past 4 years. Wife doesnt trust it anymore now that we have dropped about 5k in repairs over the past two years with EGR, oil cooler,head gaskets and A/C.
In December I purchased a 2005 EB PSD X from Florida with a clean carfax in exceptional shape compared to anything I found around Central IL with 89,XXX miles.

My "clean" truck lasted 400 miles and blew the head gaskets and is currently getting all the work you have mostly already done to yours (new heads, studs, egr delete, coolant filter, new oil cooler, tuned, etc.) For a total cost of over 6k, If you have already done most of this like EXXWHY asked, what's wrong with yours and whats the point?
I would think that you could get a $250 detail job, maybe spend $1500 in suspension tweaks (V/B codes, sway, ball joints, etc) and be money ahead.

Have you test drove the EB X at Heller in El Paso? what a piece of crap for the price. rusting bad, fronts been hit previously, if you see it online and think about going to see it dont bother.

I'm in Bloomington btw, I just picked up my X for towing a 30ft TT and cart around my family of 6. What color is your 03? I'll keep a look out and give you a honk if I see you out and about. Mine is an 05 White/Tan EB with 2008 F250 Superduty wheels

Old 02-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Jbru167
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bigdaddybus
In December I purchased a 2005 EB PSD X from Florida with a clean carfax in exceptional shape compared to anything I found around Central IL with 89,XXX miles.

My "clean" truck lasted 400 miles and blew the head gaskets and is currently getting all the work you have mostly already done to yours (new heads, studs, egr delete, coolant filter, new oil cooler, tuned, etc.) For a total cost of over 6k, If you have already done most of this like EXXWHY asked, what's wrong with yours and whats the point?
I would think that you could get a $250 detail job, maybe spend $1500 in suspension tweaks (V/B codes, sway, ball joints, etc) and be money ahead.

Have you test drove the EB X at Heller in El Paso?

I'm in Bloomington btw, I just picked up my X for towing a 30ft TT and cart around my family of 6. What color is your 03? I'll keep a look out and give you a honk if I see you out and about. Mine is an 05 White/Tan EB with 2008 F250 Superduty wheels
I have considered just tweaking mine and probably is best $$$ idea. A good detail and some spring work would probably help. I just sent my FICM in and am gettign frustrated with making a $300-$500 repair every 6 months.If I din't have to fix her all the time I would be happy to keep her for another 50K!

Bigdaddy have you had any suspension work done to yours to get the 08 wheels to fit? I am in Bloomington as well...My 03 is a black XLT with Black XD Rockstar wheels.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
I have considered just tweaking mine and probably is best $$$ idea. A good detail and some spring work would probably help. I just sent my FICM in and am gettign frustrated with making a $300-$500 repair every 6 months.If I din't have to fix her all the time I would be happy to keep her for another 50K!

Bigdaddy have you had any suspension work done to yours to get the 08 wheels to fit? I am in Bloomington as well...My 03 is a black XLT with Black XD Rockstar wheels.
My truck has 2" spacers and the inner fender liner has been pulled back a bit for clearance. (This was all done by the previous owner) I am concerned that I will have some rubbing when I hook up my TT with its weight distribution hitch, so I ordered a RAS to help control the squat in the rear.

I am considering a 4-6" lift this summer, as long as I can still fit it under my 8' garage door.

are you located near Grove Elementary? If that is you, that is a really good looking X and one of the reasons I decided to buy one

Old 02-16-2012, 01:32 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
If you need to get a loan on a new one, you WILL have a 300-600 car payment EVERY month. Plus you will likely still have the occasional repairs anyway. If you got a lower mile newer 6.0 that hasn't had the head and EGR work, you'd be likely to making that repair sooner or later again. Even a 2005 is a 7 yr old truck, time for things to start going regardless.

I'm just trying to throw something out there you can mention to the wife. Then again, I'm trying to be logical and wives and logic normally don't mix. She's liable to take all that and decide you don't need an EX afterall.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Jbru167
Senior User
Yeah wife logic always throws a wrench into things!

So the 05 will still have similar EGR issues then?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:56 PM
ddorband
Freshman User

If you are concerned about expensive repairs and reliability I would not be looking for another 6.0. I am not trying get into a “my engine is better than yours” discussion, the extra power of the 6.0 is very nice and the transmission that backs it is the best option that was available in an X, and with the correct mods it appears that it can be made into a fairly reliable engine, but as you have already experienced those mods are expensive.

If I had what your budget appears to be, and your concern about reliability I would look for a nice low mileage 02 or early 03 with the 7.3, like this one:

From the research I did when I was looking for mine, I believe all the options that are available on an 05 are also available on the 02 and 03, aside from the updated front grill, headlights bumper and mirrors with the turn signal, which are all fairly easy to swap out.

Either that or I would look for a low mileage 05 V10 like this one:

I have not driven one but those on here who have them seem very happy with the power and they will easily go 300K with regular maintenance.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Jbru167
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bigdaddybus
My truck has 2" spacers and the inner fender liner has been pulled back a bit for clearance. (This was all done by the previous owner) I am concerned that I will have some rubbing when I hook up my TT with its weight distribution hitch, so I ordered a RAS to help control the squat in the rear.

I am considering a 4-6" lift this summer, as long as I can still fit it under my 8' garage door.

are you located near Grove Elementary? If that is you, that is a really good looking X and one of the reasons I decided to buy one
Thanks that is me! I was considering a 4" lift as well. I can just fit in garage have about 1-2" with my larger tires and a 3" F-250 block in rear.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 PM
ddorband
Freshman User
So the 05 will still have similar EGR issues then?
Yes, the 05s still have the EGR issue and the idea that those that have made it over 100K are survivors and will not have issues is not necessarily true either. My parents 05 F-350 went 150K before exhaling a large puff of white smoke out of the exhaust (EGR and oil cooler failure, the head gasket survived).

Old 02-16-2012, 02:18 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
I've never even opened the hood on a 6.0, so I am NOT speaking from direct experience. I do read a lot on here and it seems you have already taken the needed steps to make a 6.0 work reliably. As best I can tell from reading up on it, a 2005 will need it sooner or later too.

I guess all us cheapskates like your truck already.