Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you change your fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 05:56 PM
XS29L9B
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you change when you change your oil, or at what interval?

Old 02-15-2012, 05:58 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
every other oil change.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:56 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What motor do you have?

Old 02-15-2012, 07:01 PM
fishintheobx
Senior User
On the PSD 6.0 I change both every 15k, and drain the water out of the back one every 5k. I've seen some diesel fuel samples drawn out of stations, and it's no wonder they put 2 filters on the truck.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

On my 7.3's I change them every other oil change. It's easy to remember and the interval is about right.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:34 PM
XS29L9B
Junior User
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
What motor do you have?
2005 6.0 PSD w/ a May 05 vehicle build.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:11 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
most of the 6.0 guys change every other change. i started doing it because its easy to remember.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:51 AM
XS29L9B
Junior User
Thanks!

In the meantime, is there a preferred oil brand/viscosity?

I am used to running Mobil 1 in my cars and while 5w30 is fine in most, I use 15w50 in my turbo cars.

My friend said something about Shell Rotella

Old 02-16-2012, 07:19 AM
fishintheobx
Senior User
Originally Posted by XS29L9B
Thanks!

In the meantime, is there a preferred oil brand/viscosity?

I am used to running Mobil 1 in my cars and while 5w30 is fine in most, I use 15w50 in my turbo cars.

My friend said something about Shell Rotella
You'll get just about ever answer under the sun to that question. Everybody has a preference that fits them. All depends on driving habit, climate, and what you plan on doing with the truck. Some are into synthetics, some are not. Rotella is good stuff, but many would argue it's not the best. I know a guy that ran Rotella diesel oil and the wrong viscosity in a jeep since brand new (because he got the oil for free at truck stops). That jeep has over 280k miles today. So as they say, "your mileage may vary". But when it comes to the 6.0, these are the rules:
<li>Oil changes on schedule are more important than many other motors due to the hydraulic functions it serves for injectors, etc.</li>
<li>Use a good quality CI-4+ rated oil - don't waste money on CJ-4 since you don't have all 2007 emissions crap</li>
<li>Use the 15w-40 unless you live in extreme climates. The HP oil pump will shear it down to a 30 wt, and some guys use 10w-30 instead because it doesn't shear as easily.</li>
<li>Only use Motorcraft Oil Filters, no other brand due to fit issues - it's a FL-2016</li>
<li>Coolant flush and fresh is a big deal also - plenty of horror stories on plugged up EGR coolers that have led to engine melt-down.</li>
<li>Take a good look at the REV-X product. A lot of 6.0 owners have some real success stories from it.</li>
<li>Before you change out what's in there, consider getting a Used Oil Analysis from Blackstone or another firm to understand if there are bigger problems inside (ie: coolant, fuel, etc. in the oil)</li>

When it comes to lubricants advice I head on over to Bob is the Oil Guy Forums. There are some guys that are pretty fanatical about lubricants there and have test data and results to back it up. You'll find plenty of discussions on oil in the 6.0.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:02 AM
XS29L9B
Junior User
Looked at the filter cited above and it's a cartridge and o-ring in the box... I thought someone swapped something else in there! Is this right?

Also, trying to decide if I want to buy the Mobil1 for turbo diesel trucks vs. the Mobil Delvac conventional oil.

I read the forum referenced above, but still torn. Anyone with experiences on either?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-19-2012, 12:40 PM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your oil filter will be a cartridge with "O" ring, your fuel filter(s) will be two cartridges with "O" rings.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I have the 7.3 And plan to change it every other year since I don't put many miles on. I just installed a new one before storage because I did a bunch of o-ring work with the injectors and whatnot so I want to watch what color it shows. I'll change it again next year before storage.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:32 PM
XS29L9B
Junior User
Just so I am correct, can anyone help me with the correct part # or an image (from the web is fine) of the fuel filter for the 6.0 PSD on a 2005 Ex.

Thanks,

Old 02-19-2012, 03:46 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by fishintheobx
You'll get just about ever answer under the sun to that question. Everybody has a preference that fits them. All depends on driving habit, climate, and what you plan on doing with the truck. Some are into synthetics, some are not. Rotella is good stuff, but many would argue it's not the best. I know a guy that ran Rotella diesel oil and the wrong viscosity in a jeep since brand new (because he got the oil for free at truck stops). That jeep has over 280k miles today. So as they say, "your mileage may vary". But when it comes to the 6.0, these are the rules:
Oil changes on schedule are more important than many other motors due to the hydraulic functions it serves for injectors, etc.

Use a good quality CI-4+ rated oil - don't waste money on CJ-4 since you don't have all 2007 emissions crap

Use the 15w-40 unless you live in extreme climates. The HP oil pump will shear it down to a 30 wt, and some guys use 10w-30 instead because it doesn't shear as easily.

Only use Motorcraft Oil Filters, no other brand due to fit issues - it's a FL-2016

Coolant flush and fresh is a big deal also - plenty of horror stories on plugged up EGR coolers that have led to engine melt-down.

Take a good look at the REV-X product. A lot of 6.0 owners have some real success stories from it.

Before you change out what's in there, consider getting a Used Oil Analysis from Blackstone or another firm to understand if there are bigger problems inside (ie: coolant, fuel, etc. in the oil)

When it comes to lubricants advice I head on over to Bob is the Oil Guy Forums. There are some guys that are pretty fanatical about lubricants there and have test data and results to back it up. You'll find plenty of discussions on oil in the 6.0.
I just sold my 6.0L F350 with 215k on it. Completely agree with all that fishintheobx says above. I would also suggest a Blackstone Oil Analysis at least once a year, so that you can get a sample of what is going on inside. Great preventive maintenance.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Originally Posted by XS29L9B
Just so I am correct, can anyone help me with the correct part # or an image (from the web is fine) of the fuel filter for the 6.0 PSD on a 2005 Ex.

Thanks,
This link should have all the oem filters part #'s.

Ford 6.0 Liter Turbo Diesel Truck Filters, Air Filters, Oil Filters, Transmission Filters And Glow Plugs - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks

Quick Reply: How often do you change your fuel filter?