Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Right Floor Board Constantly Wet

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Mitch1407
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right Floor Board Constantly Wet

Like the description says my right floor board is consistently wet under the carpet to the point of being able to feel it from the top side.

Nothing was spilled on it or anything in a while but it has rained lately. Seems to be coming out of that grommet in the floor, but I duct-taped it really well because I cut a small hole for amp wires to come through. It starts there and goes back and to the right.

Ill post pics as soon as I get the chance later tonight. But if anyone has that same problem please post up and if you fixed it what did you do? Door seal mod?

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2012, 02:02 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Does it smell sweet like antifreeze?

Old 02-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Mitch1407
Senior User
Thats what my dad asked and I don't think it does, I know the smell very well, and to me its just water. Im going to go snap some pics and give it a good smell test.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Mitch1407
Senior User
Well here are some pics of where I think the water is coming in from.

And I'm sure its water no antifreeze smell.

You can see my terrible wiring job, but it gets the job done. don't mind the rust in the pics its a WV truck, but its new home is the less salty NC. Do you think a good shot of water proof foam insulation will do the trick inside those holes?

Like I said rusty, but I feel like this is where the water is coming from? Would the foam work or is there a better solution besides moving the wires, I have tried to re route them but they wouldn't reach the amps.

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2012, 03:25 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I would also check the windshield seal. These trucks are known to have leaky windshields.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Also check the drain pan for the AC condensate to see if it is plugged up.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:47 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Try to put a drip loop in the wires before they enter the cab, so that any water running down the wires has a chance to drip off, rather than running directly to the floor. You do need to seal that hole somehow - perhaps with a grommet from the hardware store.

The duct tape isn't really preventing the water from entering, but if you use foam, realize that most aerosol foams can hold water and make rusting get much worse. So, use them sparingly, or try another approach.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Shanejet
Freshman User
Hard to say from the pics, but if that hole is 1/2-3/4" you might try some windshield rope. I have used it in the past when I can't find the right size grommet. It will also protect the wire better. Pretty cheap and a box will last years, too.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Mitch1407
Senior User
Thanks guys. I will try to stay away from the foam, look into some drip loops, and check the windshield. Im planning an overhaul this spring on some body work to cut out/sand reprime the rusted areas. So it will probably get some new carpet after I see if everything is leak free.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:01 PM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd check the drain on your A/C heater box. if it gets plugged all the condensation will end up inside instead of outside. any time you use either the A/C or the defrost you're generating moisture. does it smell musty or moldy in your heater vents?

Barney

Old 02-15-2012, 09:42 PM
cutlass
Elder User
Originally Posted by bfife
I'd check the drain on your A/C heater box. if it gets plugged all the condensation will end up inside instead of outside. any time you use either the A/C or the defrost you're generating moisture. does it smell musty or moldy in your heater vents?

Barney

I just wanted to get clarification on what the A/C heater box is. Are you talking about the heater core that's inside the cab just behind the glove box in the dash against the firewall? And where is this drain you are speaking of?

I too have had water leakage onto my passenger floor pan and it's created a great deal of rust. There's also the musty/mud odor in the cab too when A/C is running and I can actually see the water dripping under the glove box onto the floor. This drip always coincides with the A/C turning hot. I've cleaned out the evaporator housing in the engine bay with a garden hose and still have the problem. Oh, and there are no holes in my floor pan.

Thanks,
Drake

Old 02-15-2012, 10:44 PM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drake, you should have a tube or hole coming out of the HVAC (thats the black box that the heater core/AC condenser are mounted in). this tube will be on the bottom of the box on the passenger side, on the engine side of the firewall. Kind of a confusing explanation.
as the moisture collects on the condenser it will drain into the bottom of the HVAC assembly and then its supposed to drain out that tube. If it gets plugged the water has no where to go but inside. Mold will begin to develop and thats where the smell come from. once you find the drain, GENTLY probe around with a piece of wire or some such to reopen that tube. I have also used compressed air to clear out the drain. Once done, there are some aftermarket sprays you can spray into the vents to kill the mold and freshen up the air. I'm sure someone (PasonPSD or ?) has a pic that makes this more obvious. you may have to repeat this a couple of times over a span of a few weeks to get all the chunks cleaned out.
hope this helps

Barney

Old 02-16-2012, 12:29 AM
cutlass
Elder User
Originally Posted by bfife
Drake, you should have a tube or hole coming out of the HVAC (thats the black box that the heater core/AC condenser are mounted in). this tube will be on the bottom of the box on the passenger side, on the engine side of the firewall. Kind of a confusing explanation.
as the moisture collects on the condenser it will drain into the bottom of the HVAC assembly and then its supposed to drain out that tube. If it gets plugged the water has no where to go but inside. Mold will begin to develop and thats where the smell come from. once you find the drain, GENTLY probe around with a piece of wire or some such to reopen that tube. I have also used compressed air to clear out the drain. Once done, there are some aftermarket sprays you can spray into the vents to kill the mold and freshen up the air. I'm sure someone (PasonPSD or ?) has a pic that makes this more obvious. you may have to repeat this a couple of times over a span of a few weeks to get all the chunks cleaned out.
hope this helps

Barney
Thanks Barney. I'll go out to look for the tube in the engine bay and see if it's plugged up.