6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

If I was a fog light wiring harness, where would I be?

Old 02-12-2012, 10:49 AM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I was a fog light wiring harness, where would I be?

2012 F350 XLT
Supposedly they come prewired from the factory (the XL's do not)
I looked behind the spot where the for lights would be installed, and I don't see anything. Are they located somewhere else? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-12-2012, 01:20 PM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
I was able to find them based on this info from LEADSLED56 in another thread, I assumed that they would be closer to where the lights are located:

I found the truck's wiring harness ready to go right underneath the radiator support/frame crossmember, mounted to the frame with a block-off cap over the connector. I removed the cap and plugged in the fog light wiring the kit came with, strung the wires over the top of each frame rail, plugged them in and tested the lights. everything worked correctly so I proceeded to attach all the little plastic plugs where I could find holes in sheet metal. the first one I started with was at the connector on the radiator support. then I just worked my way to each light. done and done.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:06 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Good to know! Thanks for posting...

OBTW: Should share some pics of before and after...

biz

Old 02-13-2012, 06:55 AM
fg250
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snelldawg
2012 F350 XLT
Supposedly they come prewired from the factory (the XL's do not)
I looked behind the spot where the for lights would be installed, and I don't see anything. Are they located somewhere else? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
the xl has the wires also.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:27 AM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
There seems to be a difference between XLT and XL. When I looked on Ebay they had packages for XLT's that were less money than Xl's, and they clearly said that there was a difference. (MSRP is $215 for XLT parts)

Also, my dealer told me that if it was an XL, there would be another hour or two of labor involved.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Powerdude
Elder User
I hate the fact that you have to get the XLT value package, at $1395 MSRP, just to get fog lights on your brand new truck.

This is ridiculous. I don't want the stupid SYNC system or for that matter steering wheel radio controls or the keypad entry thing.

Just more electronic crapola that is already obsolete anyway, for the SYNC, and more holes in the steering wheel and the door that can break down.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:24 AM
fg250
Elder User
There seems to be a difference between XLT and XL. When I looked on Ebay they had packages for XLT's that were less money than Xl's, and they clearly said that there was a difference. (MSRP is $215 for XLT parts)

Also, my dealer told me that if it was an XL, there would be another hour or two of labor involved.
the difference is that the XL kit comes with a new BCM. The XLT already has the correct BCM to run the foglights, and the XL does not. The extra labor is replacing the BCM and reprogramming it to the truck.
P.S. (BCM=body control module)

Old 02-13-2012, 10:26 AM
fg250
Elder User
Originally Posted by Powerdude
I hate the fact that you have to get the XLT value package, at $1395 MSRP, just to get fog lights on your brand new truck.

This is ridiculous. I don't want the stupid SYNC system or for that matter steering wheel radio controls or the keypad entry thing.

Just more electronic crapola that is already obsolete anyway, for the SYNC, and more holes in the steering wheel and the door that can break down.
I couldn't agree more. That's part of the reason I went with an XL and added the lights....much cheaper.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:07 AM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Powerdude,
I agree with you 100%. I ordered my truck and was frustrated that I couldn't add just the lights. I didn't want the keypad and a couple of the other things for $1300.

Install seems straight forward, I might even do it myself:

1 Remove the bumper brackets from both ends of the front bumper... (heavy steel brackets with four bolts each)...

2 Remove the OEM plastic covers that are installed where the new fog lights will be installed...

3 Assemble the new fog lights as shown in the instruction page that comes with the kit...

4 Install the complete kits in the right and left side...

5 Reinstall the bumper brackets and tighten to factory torque specs...

6 Install wiring loop and plug the ends into the fog lights... The kit includes the wiring loop AND the plastic wiring keepers that simply plug into existing holes in the bumper frame...

7 Open the drivers door and... On the left side of the dash (drivers side) the end panel will simply pull away from the dash at the rear and swing out to expose the inside of the dash. Reach into this area and depress the tabs on the existing light switch (you will see them on the new one). This will allow the switch housing to move out of the dash. Once the switch housing is out of the dash, unplug the switch and plug the new switch in. Then push the new switch into the hole in the dash, replace the dash end panel... and you have installed the components that YOU can install so far...

8 These steps should be completed by some one who knows a bit more about the insides of the dash... Install the light sensor that is provided in the kit... It mounts in the center of the dash in a hole that is close to the bottom of the windshield and directly under the rear view mirror.

9 Install and program the new Body Control Module per FOMOCO instructions.

Note: If you bought a truck that came equipped with the Automatic Headlights... Steps 8 and 9 are NOT necessary.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:12 PM
fg250
Elder User
Powerdude,
I agree with you 100%. I ordered my truck and was frustrated that I couldn't add just the lights. I didn't want the keypad and a couple of the other things for $1300.

Install seems straight forward, I might even do it myself:

1 Remove the bumper brackets from both ends of the front bumper... (heavy steel brackets with four bolts each)...

2 Remove the OEM plastic covers that are installed where the new fog lights will be installed...

3 Assemble the new fog lights as shown in the instruction page that comes with the kit...

4 Install the complete kits in the right and left side...

5 Reinstall the bumper brackets and tighten to factory torque specs...

6 Install wiring loop and plug the ends into the fog lights... The kit includes the wiring loop AND the plastic wiring keepers that simply plug into existing holes in the bumper frame...

7 Open the drivers door and... On the left side of the dash (drivers side) the end panel will simply pull away from the dash at the rear and swing out to expose the inside of the dash. Reach into this area and depress the tabs on the existing light switch (you will see them on the new one). This will allow the switch housing to move out of the dash. Once the switch housing is out of the dash, unplug the switch and plug the new switch in. Then push the new switch into the hole in the dash, replace the dash end panel... and you have installed the components that YOU can install so far...

8 These steps should be completed by some one who knows a bit more about the insides of the dash... Install the light sensor that is provided in the kit... It mounts in the center of the dash in a hole that is close to the bottom of the windshield and directly under the rear view mirror.

9 Install and program the new Body Control Module per FOMOCO instructions.

Note: If you bought a truck that came equipped with the Automatic Headlights... Steps 8 and 9 are NOT necessary.
Actually you're a little off hear....the light sensor is easy to install with a small flat screwdriver the cover for that hole pops out. (anyone can do it) also the BCM is easy to change out.....HOWEVER the truck wont start until you have a Ford mechanic with the Ford computer do the reprogramming....I had a friend of mine who works at my local dealer come over after work with the dealers computer and do it. (I found all this out the hard way) also, step 9 is not neccesary with an XLT, peroid, regardless of auto/non lights. only XL trucks have to go through that.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:26 PM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
I found those directions online. The basics for me will work since I'm sticking with conventional and I do not have to reflash.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:40 PM
fg250
Elder User
I found those directions online. The basics for me will work since I'm sticking with conventional and I do not have to reflash.
yep, the directions that come with the kit are pretty close to what you posted, but they are a bit decieving. They never actually tell you that if you change out the BCM nothing will work until you take it to a dealer. It's kinda BS, I think. But for you with an XLT and no autolamp, it's a piece of cake.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Longliner
Freshman User
XL With FOGS and whats necessary

Guys,

i just installed fog lamps on my XL. From what I can gather if you have the Power Equipment Group (or maybe XL Decor) the BCM is already ready for fog lamps.

I have an XL with Power Equipment Group and XL Decor and all I needed to do was install the fogs and the switch. So, I could have saved myself about $115 dollars by ordering the XLT fog package (and would have got the ambient light sensor to boot).

In short, BCM is not needed in some cases on the XL.

Anybody want to buy a BCM ?

Thanks.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:09 PM
fg250
Elder User
[quote=Longliner;11509015]Guys,

i just installed fog lamps on my XL. From what I can gather if you have the Power Equipment Group (or maybe XL Decor) the BCM is already ready for fog lamps.

I have an XL with Power Equipment Group and XL Decor and all I needed to do was install the fogs and the switch. So, I could have saved myself about $115 dollars by ordering the XLT fog package (and would have got the ambient light sensor to boot).

In short, BCM is not needed in some cases on the XL.

Anybody want to buy a BCM ?
that's interesting, because i also have the power equipment group, and decor. I still needed the BCM.