CNG/LPG-Fuel Capable Engine Option

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 01:26 PM
bighead75
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CNG/LPG-Fuel Capable Engine Option

Hey guys,
Does anyone have the CNG/LPG- Fuel Capable Engine Option in their 6.2L Super Duty? I am getting ready to order my truck and was wonder if it was worth getting?

What does everyone thing? Who knows what fuels we will use here in the future!

Bighead

Old 11-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
I have been looking to order a F-350 with a 6.2L, and have been thinking about that option too. From what I understand, it gets you hard valve seats and a different intake manifold. I am not sure what is different about the manifold. Anyone know?

Old 11-02-2011, 04:29 PM
CBBeaty
Junior User
I currently have a 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 with a hemi and considering a new truck. I had an 06 F250 diesel that I sold before I had any problems but miss that truck. The ride and room was great! With emmissions and stuff, I can't justify the diesel cost (both acquisition/fuel/maintenance). However, I have discovered the CNG/LP option on the 6.2 gasser. This had lead me to do a lot of reading on CNG/LP applications. Latest reports are CNG is $1.60 per GGE cheaper than regular gasoline. Even if performance is a tad off, that's huge savings. Who out there is running this on other Ford vehicles as this isn't the first year Ford has offered this option .... apparently its been available on 450 and others.

VERY INTERESTED

Old 11-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
Keep in mind that Ford does not currently offer any 'turn key' CNG trucks. This option only prepares the engine for use with CNG/LNG, the trucks still have to be converted. Typically, a CNG conversion runs about $9000.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:12 PM
stewy_56
New User
cng

Would flexfuel tag mean Lpg ready?

Old 11-03-2011, 05:32 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe
Keep in mind that Ford does not currently offer any 'turn key' CNG trucks. This option only prepares the engine for use with CNG/LNG, the trucks still have to be converted. Typically, a CNG conversion runs about $9000.
This is correct, from the '12 order guide:

CNG/LPG-FUEL CAPABLE ENGINE (98F)
Availability:
• Optional on all F-250 and F-350
Requires:
• 6.2L Gas Engine
Includes:
• Hardened Engine Intake Valves and Valve Seats
• Bi-Fuel manifold
NOTE: This package does not include CNG/LPG-fuel tanks, lines, etc. Vehicle will be equipped with the standard factory gasoline fuel system. Additional equipment combined with Certified calibration reflash is required, from an
external upfitter, to convert the vehicle to a CNG/LPGfueled vehicle.

Ford Motor Company does not provide an exhaust or evaporative emissions certificate with this option when converted to use CNG or LPG-fuel. Ford does not represent that a vehicle converted to use CNG or LPG will comply with all applicable U.S. or Canadian safety standards. It is the responsibility of the final stage manufacturer (body-builder, installer, alterer or subsequent stage manufacturer) to determine that any vehicle converted to use CNG or LPG complies with U.S. Federal, California or Canadian exhaust and evaporative emission requirements, Federal fuel economy standards, U.S. and Canadian safety standards, labeling and any other requirements.

Originally Posted by stewy_56
Would flexfuel tag mean Lpg ready?
Which tag are you referring to specifically? Keep in mind the 6.2 in its factory form is a flex fuel motor, meaning it'll run on E85 in addition to gas. I haven't seen a '12 with the CNG/LPG prep to say whether or not they get anything different in the way of tags/badges.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Powerdude
Elder User
I'm currently doing some research on this subject, and have e-mailed a couple of companies.

I will keep you posted. The biggest issue would be refueling. CNG you have to have a dedicated refueling facility, or access to one, and refueling takes a good long while.

As for LPG, I'm not sure you could actually run it off your barbecue propane tank, but in theory it's possible !...

Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Powelligator
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's another question to throw out (Since 'm in the same boat, about to order and wondering if this option is worth it):

Are hardened valves and seats an advantage towards reliability/long life in a gas engine assuming that I may never modify the truck to CNG/LPG? The option is only about $315 and the valve job I had done on my '94 460 (at 200K miles) was a heck of a lot more than that.

Other question is the intake manifold, I'm wondering how the engine is affected by it, is a flow difference (losing/gaining efficiency) or is it just to allow some sort of alternate gas fittings?

Is the Ford Engineer still on this board?

Joe

Old 02-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Powerdude
Elder User
I just talked to Clark at Palmetto gas in SC. They do LPG conversions. Real nice guy.

The told me that the hardened valves on the 6.2 L CNG/LPG package do help with longevity in a gas setting, as gas has a higher exhaust temperature.

Their system is bi-fuel, you start the truck on gasoline and you flip a switch, it goes to propane. In terms of cost, your CNG/LPG package doesn't help you one bit, because you can't use your existing injectors for gas. So, they put in another set of injectors and fueling system for your intake manifold alongside your gas ones, lines, fittings, etc for about $6000 dollars, and it takes about 1 and a half days to do.

As to whatever gas tank you want, they can put in a 20 gal tank in the place of your spare tire, or a big 60 gallons in your bed, for extra cost (didn't say how much).

Roush fuel systems also has an LPG conversion for F250/F350 but it is only propane. Meaning your truck will then ONLY run on propane. That's not really good in my opinion, at least for me, because I take long trips and fueling might be an issue.

Now, the fueling issue. The Palmetto system doesn't require high pressure fueling station. You can just go down to your local gas provider, and hook up the line and you're done in the time it takes to fuel a gas pickup, because they have a compressor hooked up to their big tank. At least that's what Ferrell Gas has near my house. You can check at http://www.altfuelprices.com/stations/LPG to see if you have an actual LPG station by you.

The system is run at regular pressures (170-200 psi). CNG systems run at 2000+ psi and need a dedicated fueling station, but not LPG system.

You cannot just fuel your truck from your 500 gallon tank at home. You would need a compressor to drive to fuel to your truck's tank. I suppose you could put one it, but it would add to the cost.

Go to Alliance AutoGas: Propane AutoGas Vehicle Conversion & Fueling for Fleets for more info and links.

They actually sell it by the poundage of the tank you have, but the actual amount that goes in the tank varies by the tank size.

Best way to price propane is by weight, because the density of propane gas varies by temperature. At 60 degrees, a gallon of propane has 4.2 lbs. So at $15 bucks for a 20# tank, that's actually 4.76 gallons. That's $3.15 a gallon, which is pretty darned good, or will be soon....

However, they usually do not load the maximum amount the tank can hold, because propane expands 1.5% for every 10 degrees. So, you don't really want to overfill your tank, because it can crack....not good.

Propane only contains 90% of the BTUs of gasoline, so you lose 10% fuel efficiency. The flip-side of that is that it burns REALLY clean, so it does not contaminate the oil, so you can extend the life between oil changes, saving some cash.

***edit***

Just called a UHaul truck station that has propane fillup close to me, they charge $2.89 a gallon. Considering I just paid $3.32 a gallon yesterday, even at only 90% efficiency, it should work out to 2.98 (10% off the 3.32). So you'd be saving 9 cents a gallon. Might be worth thinking about, especially if gas prices keep going up....

*** edited again...lol *** I just called the gas company next to me, Ozark gas company, and they charge 2.04 a gallon, and they have a public use station, if you have the correct "sticker", that is state registered and all that crap. AMAZING ! When was the last time you paid 2 bucks a gallon to fill your truck up?

I think I'm talking myself into this. You could just plug in your barbecue grill with a T-fitting and have a great tailgate party, assuming you got the tank mounted in place of the spare tire. Something to think about...

Last edited by Powerdude; 02-24-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling, new info, locations
Old 02-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Bmcush
Junior User
As to whatever gas tank you want, they can put in a 20 gal tank in the place of your spare tire
Today I saw a newer F250 with V10 with one at Home Depot. Wanted to stick around and ask a few questions but the wife was in a hurry to do more shopping..