1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 06:53 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
Well abe, it looks like I'm going darkside. I painted it black....because it was the color I had.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:37 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Joe,
Looking good over there! Licensed & legal - that's a huge step!

I spent $325 on a used but nice S10 seat so $400 - $500 to get
your original seat done is in the ball park. It will look nice.

What happened to the old bed? Too beat up to use? Waiting it's turn?

Our worst baseball experience .... my son's team lost the first game of the tournament ... loser's bracket....
one more loss & we get to go home....then they played & played & won all weekend ... a marathon of games....
lost the championship game. One loooong weekend.

Good luck over there in Missouri!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 07-02-2016, 12:49 AM
Cobwebman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joe, post a picture of the seat when you get it in. Love your thread; has given me some good ideas for my build.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:41 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Ben, The old bed is waiting it's turn. I had a big setback with it though. I had an end piece made to replace the rusted out and bent one and the bed and parts were at my In-laws. Well, they got to cleaning and threw out my newly made pieces. Talk about pissing money into the wind.

My son is also taking an Ag Construction class this fall at high school and he is going to make me a bed. At this point, I'm thinking that I will have him make a new bed and fix this one up.
I got frame rails priced from here. Pocket Rails for Flatbed Trucks and Trailers
I figure our high school doesn't have the tools to make something like this. Edit: Shipping is almost the same cost as the parts.

Sam's team won the game yesterday. He went 2 for 3 and seemed pretty happy with his game. They have two scheduled for today. They moved them up and hour hoping to get as much in as they can before the rain hits. I thought I heard the coach say that there will be no games on Sunday. They are talking 3" to 6" this weekend.

Dave, Of course pictures! I'm afraid I will lose my FTE card if I don't.
But you did get me thinking, when I take pictures of the old seat over and discuss fabric options, I need to take pictures of his progress.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:43 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Harrier
Well abe, it looks like I'm going darkside. I painted it black....because it was the color I had.
Well shoot Abe, now that I look at you picture again, I think I need to get me some argent and cover up my black. I think it will look nicer that way. Might as well....my valve covers are black, I could fix that as well. Those are very easy fixes.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:35 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
I feel that you are coming back from the dark side!

Duplicolor makes a silver and a metallic silver that is almost exactly like the argent Ford used in the interior: kick panel retainers, ashtray frame, glove box hinges, dome light, grille on the recirc heater and then also the valve covers.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:34 AM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
[/QUOTE]I need to get him pictures of the original seat cover. He wanted a piece of it, but that is long gone. He took the time to ask me what I wanted to use the truck for and we discussed cloth vs vinyl. I will be going with a cloth for more comfort, but try to keep it looking stock.[/QUOTE]

Looks like you moving forward Joe! Hey I wanted to let you know that I saved a piece of my fabric and it looks just like yours. I would be more than glad to share a sample with you if you'd like. Just let me know.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:43 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
I received Dave's seat samples as well as grabbing some from the 54 up at the farm in North Missouri. I discovered the materials are different between years. I took Dave's to my upholstery guy on Monday. My timing was excellent, he soon going to start putting the black cover together. He is going to take those samples and find something close in cloth for me. I"m looking forward to seeing it completed.

On another note, I looked at my title closer after I got the truck registered. Well, it has the wrong serial number. The number on my new title is F25RSK17013. Shoot! I called the DMV and they said they would fix it. I grabbed the title from 1962 and low and behold it has the wrong number on it as well. The DMV was very helpful and gave me instructions on having the Highway Patrol do a VIN verification so I can get the title corrected.
I told them I was not confident driving the truck that far at the moment, so they will be coming out to my house to check it out. I'm waiting to hear back from the person that will be coming out. It's been that way for 54 years, so I could most likely have left it and it would have been ok. But I want it to be correct so if my children or grandchildren decide to sell it, it will go smoothly.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:54 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Joe,
Let me know how the inspection goes. If you don't mind don't tell them about the stamped frame. I'm wondering if they will just check the plate on the glove box door and call it a day.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:12 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Joe,
Let me know how the inspection goes. If you don't mind don't tell them about the stamped frame. I'm wondering if they will just check the plate on the glove box door and call it a day.
Good thinking. I probably would have just offered it up. It will be interesting to see how they go about this process. I have already printed off a vin decoder for the 53-55 Ford trucks that I can show them. Since the vin doesn't match a possible number, I'm thinking they will just give the truck a quick once over and be done with it. But no telling.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:40 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
I'll be waiting for your report.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:29 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
The Highway Patrol gal came out this morning.
I showed her my new title and the one from 1962 when it came to my family. I also showed her a 53-55 Ford vin decoder. She checked the data plate on the glove box and then started looking for a vin on the frame. She took her flashlight and shined in the drivers side but not the passenger side.
She then called the office to see if they could find a vin location for my truck. While she was doing that she checked out the frame in the rear, which was easy since I don't have a bed on it.
After a few minutes, she had them run the incorrect vin and the proper vin. After that, she finished up the paperwork and was on her way.
I felt kind of bad not pointing out where it was, but you can only see a few of the digits on my frame, so it probably wouldn't have helped any.
All I have to do now is mail in the paperwork or take it in to the main office in Jeff City. I will probably do that since I work in Jeff.

I wonder if me having the title from 1962 made it much easier. Also, since it was only off by two letters it all made sense.

I told her I could have left it since it has been that way for 56 years, but if my kids or grandkids(I'm a ways off from them) wanted to sell it, having it correct would make it easier. My son said it won't get sold.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:35 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Joe,
I like your son's response!

Ben in Austin

Old 07-15-2016, 02:33 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
That's what I was hoping! The frame I got from BigWin56 has a vin but I don't have a title for it.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:55 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
I took my truck out for it's first legal drive. I went to O'Reilly's, then drove around a little and stopped at my in-laws where my wife was sunning in the pool. Well, I'm an idiot, but let me get to pictures first.

I had the hood up to check on the choke. I don't have my choke cable in, which makes things more difficult. I ordered some shocks, that will make a big difference in the ride. They should be in tomorrow.

I stopped for a picture at the county courthouse.

In front of my In-laws house built in the 1880's.

The back of the house where I showed my stupidity.

OK, so to the idiot part. The truck did die a couple of times when I came to a stop. I just need some adjusting of the carb and having choke control. Right before the courthouse, it died on a hill. That made getting it started a little more challenging.

Well, after stopping to see Gwen. She started to head home. I started up the truck and then she decided to tell me something from her car. I shut off the engine to hear her better. She buzzed off and I then couldn't get the truck started. After trying for a while I figured I had about run the battery down and flooded it, so I was going to go home and get a charger. I figured I had better pull the key out..... Guess what! It was turned off, I was trying start it without power to the coil.

I called my wife, she just took off home. She didn't answer. Turns out she was in the shower. So, I hoofed it home. Good thing it's only about 1/2 mile taking the shortcuts.

I put my spare battery on the charger and after supper we went back over. The truck started up just fine.

At least my stupidity happened in a family backyard, so no one saw it.
Now were did I put that choke cable.

Quick Reply: 55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread