1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 11:00 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Yup, thanks Joe! Now I wonder what those holes are for. I'll start a thread about that.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:35 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
Sorry it's late. Just got home from our Date Night...... well monthly Pitch game with friends. Thought I would post a picture that I had on file. One of my wires goes to the left, that is the ground. Two go to the right and disappear behind the engine into the cab and connect to the switches. I can get you a better picture tomorrow if you like.

Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2017, 11:40 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Yup, thanks Joe! Now I wonder what those holes are for. I'll start a thread about that.
Those are the holes for the hoses on the box-type heater like mine. Maybe they didn't use it after '54?

Attached Images   
Old 01-08-2017, 07:39 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 762 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by df85732
Sorry it's late. Just got home from our Date Night...... well monthly Pitch game with friends. Thought I would post a picture that I had on file. One of my wires goes to the left, that is the ground. Two go to the right and disappear behind the engine into the cab and connect to the switches. I can get you a better picture tomorrow if you like.
That is interesting. Your firewall doesn't have the hole where my switch wires went through. I would be interested to know where those wires enter your cab. Of course from what we are seeing, the holes on the firewall aren't consistent on these trucks. Your routing would be shorter wires.

I just ran out and looked and I don't see a location on my cab that could take your routing.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:02 AM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Good morning Joe! Looks like they go through the same hole as the speedometer cable. Easy to see with the engine out and cab off.

Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2017, 08:18 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by df85732
Good morning Joe! Looks like they go through the same hole as the speedometer cable. Easy to see with the engine out and cab off.
Oh, well that's interesting. I'm beginning to think wires like this were routed to the desires of the last person to mess with them.

Here is my cleaned up squirrel cage before it gets hidden.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:34 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
Those are the holes for the hoses on the box-type heater like mine. Maybe they didn't use it after '54?
I think Ford introduced a different heater in 1954. I never saw your box type heater in a 54 and I never saw a recirculating heater like mine in a 53.

So, I guess they stopped punching holes in the firewall for an obsolete heater after 1954.

As far as the routing of the wires, dealers installed the heaters many times so it may have been up to the installer where the wires entered the cab.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:53 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
I think Ford introduced a different heater in 1954. I never saw your box type heater in a 54 and I never saw a recirculating heater like mine in a 53.

So, I guess they stopped punching holes in the firewall for an obsolete heater after 1954.
Both of the '53 cabs I've owned had both sets of hose holes, and the hole for the blower motor. With the little box heater (early recirculating) the extra holes were covered with a plate. Gray in the second picture. All the extra holes in the '53 were for the fresh air type heater.

I guess they came out with the different heater in '54 for the extra control. The box heater I have does not allow for redirecting the airflow to the floor or windshield. What you got was what you got. Even the motor was a single speed. I have seen a couple with a variable resistor to control the fan speed, but none of them looked factory.

Attached Images   
Old 01-09-2017, 04:53 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by Harrier
Those two holes aren't on my firewall. You can also see where the wires go back into the cab.
I checked under my 54 hood last night. I do have that hole that Joe has on his 55 and I also have on my 55 where the heater wire enters the cab. I think my reason for putting it through one of those two holes above my heater motor was the fact that my ABS Firewall insulator covered that hole, even though this insulator was advertized as having all the stock holes. I guess I could have drilled a hole through the ABS insulator but took the easy route.

I was thinking... I could re-route my wire through that hole without taking out the heater again. I could cut the wires, drill a hole through the ABS and then put the wire through that hole and then splice the wire.

Then I would have to find some grommets to fill those holes. Any help Number Dummy for NOS grommets?

Old 01-17-2017, 10:01 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Things have gone a little slow. I got pissed with my wire connectors on the heater so I stopped on that for a minute. I then decided to change the front shackle pins and bushings. Well I fought with one bushing for the weekend off and on and gave up. I need to order the bushing removal tool I guess. Today I got to thinking I should just take it to the tire shop 1/2 mile from my house and have them press the bushings out. grrr....

Some good news. Sam has started working on the bed. He called today discussing the crossmembers. We are putting 4 in and the stake pockets don't allow for an even distance between them all. He has bent and welded in the stake pockets. We are going with standard 4" C channel. I was looking at thinner C channel, but that would have been a lot more expensive.

Here are the pictures he sent. I told him to take a bunch for my records and to share with you.

It will be a busy week and possibly a super fast trip to Nebraska this weekend for an indoor track meet. Man I need to not be so rushed sometime.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:30 PM
Cobwebman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bed is looking good; want to see it when done. Wiring is always a pain in the rump. But, when rushed I have always believed in one thing: when rushed always put off till tomorrow what you don't want to do today. That way nothing get broken.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:45 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

It's good to see your boy making progress on the bed.

What's up with the heater wires? I thought you had them insulated pretty good.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:21 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Cobwebman
The bed is looking good; want to see it when done. Wiring is always a pain in the rump. But, when rushed I have always believed in one thing: when rushed always put off till tomorrow what you don't want to do today. That way nothing get broken.
I'm excited that it is actually under way. It will make a huge difference in the truck when I have an actual bed on it. Knowing that my son built it will make the truck even more special.
Yes, I'm always afraid of breaking things and I'm very good at procrastination.

Originally Posted by abe
It's good to see your boy making progress on the bed.

What's up with the heater wires? I thought you had them insulated pretty good.
It's really nothing with the heater wires. I just tried to crimp an end on one of them and it just wouldn't stay attached to the wire. I haven't been able to focus much lately, so it annoyed me pretty quickly and I walked off. Lately it seems that any simple job I do becomes difficult.

Speaking of not being able to focus. Is there a benefit to using the 56 door latch instead of the 53-55? My drivers door won't shut and I need to replace it. If the 56 is better (and same price) would it be good to go that route?

Shoot, I have even looked at the Altman latches, but that's a bit dark side. See..no focus.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:47 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

I'm excited that it is actually under way. It will make a huge difference in the truck when I have an actual bed on it. Knowing that my son built it will make the truck even more special.
Yes, I'm always afraid of breaking things and I'm very good at procrastination.

It's really nothing with the heater wires. I just tried to crimp an end on one of them and it just wouldn't stay attached to the wire. I haven't been able to focus much lately, so it annoyed me pretty quickly and I walked off. Lately it seems that any simple job I do becomes difficult.

Speaking of not being able to focus. Is there a benefit to using the 56 door latch instead of the 53-55? My drivers door won't shut and I need to replace it. If the 56 is better (and same price) would it be good to go that route?

Shoot, I have even looked at the Altman latches, but that's a bit dark side. See..no focus.
Wow, perfect timing. Yesterday I worked on my driver's door. I've always had a problem closing it. On Sunday my son and I loosened the hinges, both the ones in the old and the ones in the hinge pockets. The main problem was the door seemed to be binding at the A pillar. We tried to move the door out. Then we tried to center the door in the space. It was better but the door would notnsure closed once I closed it. Then I looked at the striker plate. The teeth were worn.

So yesterday I went to replace the striker plate. I looked in my stash of NOS striker plates. I couldn't find any fornthe drivers side. Then I remembered I replaced the striker plates on my 55 this fall. I have a big zip lock bag of 56 striker plates, numbering about 8. And there was only one for the drivers side.

I put it on and it works. I wanted to move the door back just a bit since it is very close to the cowl of the cab but I can't cause then the door would not the striker plate. But the important thing is that my door stays shut!

So to answer your question..... the 56 striker plate would give you more area of contact between the plate and the star latch. But you have less space to move your door front and back.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:52 AM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
I haven't been able to focus much lately, so it annoyed me pretty quickly and I walked off. Lately it seems that any simple job I do becomes difficult.
Hang in there Joe. It's just a normal cycle we all go through. Especially this time of year when we can't work on our Babies because of the weather. It's easy to get frustrated. Also, when you look at other projects and see progress. Just remember we're seeing some great talent out there. Talent and skills that I can only dream of. Any way, the Bed looks awesome! Can't wait to see the final product.

I wanted to tell you also that I stopped by the place in Lincoln to check on a rear view mirror. Unfortunately no luck. All his parts are in totes/boxes, in trailers that are outside. No lights, and the day I was there it was about 10 degrees. He wasn't very confident when we started digging. Sorry! He said he might have a couple of side windows. I figured it best if you stop by some time to verify quality. Plus I know you wanted to snoop at some point anyway Take care of yourself my friend.

Quick Reply: 55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread