1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 05:55 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 762 Likes on 373 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions abe. I was wondering where I was going to get the rubber parts. I don't know why I didn't think to look at midfifty.

Steve, good suggestion. I need to grab a skinny glass and get it soaking. Although, the top part of the nut doesn't seem too round. That may make it more difficult. We will see.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:51 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
That heater ductwork would clean up nicely with the electrolysis process.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:03 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by raytasch
That heater ductwork would clean up nicely with the electrolysis process.
Excellent suggestion! I have always wanted to try this and with this thin metal, it would be the safest.

So I have my rebar and my Sodium carbonate. Is there a preferred gauge of wire connecting the rebar together? I would think the larger the wire the more current it can handle which would be better.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:09 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
I used the electrolysis on several of my parts. Worked pretty good but you need to use a gray scotchbrite on the part after your soaking is finished. Any solid copper wire works. I had some 12 gauge house wire that I just peeled the plastic off. Been thinking about trying it on a rusted cylinder head.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:56 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Well, I've set up my electrolysis tank. Tomorrow when I get home from work, I will fill it with water and Sodium carbonate and get it going.

I used this thread as my main source, plus google "electrolysis rust removal" just to be extra sure.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-removal.html

Old 10-25-2016, 10:34 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Joe, the grille on the front of the heater face come off. Just straighten the tabs with a plyers and it pulls right off. To be stock correct, the grille should be painted argent.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:37 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

It should look like this. Not a close up but you get the idea.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:26 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Yep, I got the grill off. I figured I would put it in the bath together.
Man, your interior is beautiful. That reminds me, I need to get the firewall cover as well. I like that rubber mat as well.

Dang, my MidFifty wish list is up to $1000. It's mostly rubber. I guess the window anti rattle kit is $200....And the firewall cover is almost that.

On the electroylsis, how much hydrogen will this make? I was thinking of keeping the tub in my garage. I can open the side door and put a fan on it. I would rather not have it outside, but if need be I can put it just outside the garage side door.

Shoot, gotta pick up some scotchbrite today as well.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:24 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by Harrier
Yep, I got the grill off. I figured I would put it in the bath together.
Man, your interior is beautiful. That reminds me, I need to get the firewall cover as well. I like that rubber mat as well.

Dang, my MidFifty wish list is up to $1000. It's mostly rubber. I guess the window anti rattle kit is $200....And the firewall cover is almost that.

On the electroylsis, how much hydrogen will this make? I was thinking of keeping the tub in my garage. I can open the side door and put a fan on it. I would rather not have it outside, but if need be I can put it just outside the garage side door.

Shoot, gotta pick up some scotchbrite today as well.
Upon closer inspection of your picture (using my desktop now instead of my tablet last night) I see the tabs of the grille are out.

Are you getting the ABS firewall cover with the sound deadening matting behind it? That's what I got and it makes a world of difference in sound and engine heat. And now is the time to put it in before you put your heater back in.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:31 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
I do mine in the house garage. My garage has vents on both ends in the peaks. Never had any problems. And the wife likes it because it's the only one of my home projects that doesn't stink up the house.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:49 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by abe
Are you getting the ABS firewall cover with the sound deadening matting behind it? That's what I got and it makes a world of difference in sound and engine heat. And now is the time to put it in before you put your heater back in.
That's what's on my wish list. Now I just need to prioritize purchases.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:53 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
I do mine in the house garage. My garage has vents on both ends in the peaks. Never had any problems. And the wife likes it because it's the only one of my home projects that doesn't stink up the house.
Good to know. The stinking up of the house is an issue here too. I've been told more than once that she didn't marry a mechanic.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:52 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by Harrier
Good to know. The stinking up of the house is an issue here too. I've been told more than once that she didn't marry a mechanic.
Don't women know that we can evolve?

Old 10-26-2016, 08:12 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by abe
Don't women know that we can evolve?
Try that argument with your wife and let me know how it goes.

I filled up the tank this evening and hooked up my battery charger. After a couple of minutes, it didn't look like anything was really happening. A sticker on the charger mentioned that power would only be at the terminals when hooked to a battery, so I figured it wasn't reading things right and didn't power on.

So.....Of to my in-laws to steal an old school charger. I Ford one at that.

After a couple of hours, this is what the tank looks like. I pulled out the part and I think I will pull it out and scrub it before I go to bed and it will probably be good.

This process seems pretty slick. I wish I would have tried it sooner on some of my parts.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:16 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
That seemed to go well. It was in the tank for about 3 hours.
Before:

After:

I cleaned of a lot of the black with a scotchbrite. Should I put it back in the bath for a while, or is that about as far as it will get? There doesn't seem to be any rust, just black coloring.
Is there a point where you need to add more sodium carbonate to the water, or will it last until you decide the water is mucky enough and needs new solution?

Quick Reply: 55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread