1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 04:12 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,598 Likes on 1,444 Posts
Nice, Joe! Sounds like you got your problem licked. I think the 64 has more rust than your 55!

You got to find some mirrors for your truck soon.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:03 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 755 Likes on 369 Posts
Hey Dave, I'm attempted to cheat and have someone look at it, but I'm really enjoying figuring out all the carb parts. Now to order the power valve and venturi tube.

Abe, That 64 sits in that same spot almost year round. He drives it some, but I have never seen it move. Currently he has saran wrap over the gas cap. There are actually two other 64's in town. One is covered and was a friends dad's or grandpa's and probably will never move. The other is a beauty, but I don't see it too often. I did see him use it for some yard work one year. That sure made me happy.

Yeah, I need mirrors. I just put the rear view mirror on my midfifty wish list. I sure thought I had the original somewhere, but maybe not. Every once in a while I look for the mirror arms that I need, but never seem to find anything remotely close. I think the mirrors need to be found before I go and buy a 2110 carb.... or win the lottery.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:17 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by Harrier
Hey Dave, I'm attempted to cheat and have someone look at it, but I'm really enjoying figuring out all the carb parts. Now to order the power valve and venturi tube.

Abe, That 64 sits in that same spot almost year round. He drives it some, but I have never seen it move. Currently he has saran wrap over the gas cap. There are actually two other 64's in town. One is covered and was a friends dad's or grandpa's and probably will never move. The other is a beauty, but I don't see it too often. I did see him use it for some yard work one year. That sure made me happy.

Yeah, I need mirrors. I just put the rear view mirror on my midfifty wish list. I sure thought I had the original somewhere, but maybe not. Every once in a while I look for the mirror arms that I need, but never seem to find anything remotely close. I think the mirrors need to be found before I go and buy a 2110 carb.... or win the lottery.
I see interior mirrors on eBay all the time, just today as a matter of fact. If the glass is good you can paint the back that silver argent color. If the glass isn't good you can get it replaced a a good auto glass shop.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:31 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Yes abe, mirrors need to be a high priority. I'm starting a search now. I saw some jeep mirrors that might work online. If you see anything point them my way.

I went out for a drive today and it was a blast!!! The engine ran smooth and not even a hint of dying. I think I have that licked although I need to get a couple of parts for the carb to make it even better.

Here are a couple of pictures.
I first stopped at the mural on the VFW hall wall.

Next stop was the Eitzen mansion. The owner of this house has a nice 64 F100, but I didn't see it out. The current owners bought the house very cheap and did a lot of work fixing it up.

I might have to go out again later.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:14 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
I ordered some mirrors from Terrys F100 the other day. They came in last night. We had a football game to go to, but I had to open the box and check them out. My plan was to clean them up, paint them and put them on. Well that didn't last. I had to put them on right away.
One I can't get to telescope. I was told that he was having trouble getting it loose, hopefully I will get it adjustable before long. I don't know that it matters much, the passenger side mirror seems more decorative. My quick look from my wood bench seat in the truck seems to have the A piller in the way of the mirror, we will see how that goes.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:47 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

They look good Joe! Try putting the arm on the back side of the arm brace that comes out of the door like in the picture below. That will get it back further and avoid the A-arm. Also if you angle arm out more towards say 2:00, and then angle your mirror head a bit you'll be able to see from the passenger mirror. Here is how they should be attached:

Old 09-10-2016, 09:07 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Thanks abe, I was wondering about putting the mirror on the other side of the bracket.
I figured when I get my seat back from the upholsters I can find tune them.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:16 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

I am glad you for those mirror arms and mirrors. It fits your truck. The only thing you are missing is the little cap that at the top that covers the hole in the top tube.

I was thinking you should sand or blast the black parts and paint them gloss black and polish the silver parts and laquer them but then it wouldn't fit the patina of your truck..... what do you think you will do?

Old 09-10-2016, 03:37 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
Looks good Joe! Now you can see those County Mounties when they creep up on ya!

Old 09-10-2016, 06:20 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Joe,
I've got a spare seat if you wanna use it till your's is done. Not pristine but probably better that a wood bench.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:19 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
I was planning on cleaning and painting them. But after putting them on I think they fit just the way they are.

I do set a little paranoid not having any mirrors. It will be nice being able to see behind me. Now I have to worry about getting out of the garage without hitting them

It will be at least two weeks before I can get it out again. I was just talking with my parents wondering when I spoke with the upholsterer. I think I need to give him a call soon to see where he is with the seat. He was trying to find the proper color red last time I spoke with him. He said one it was in it wouldn't take long to finish

Old 09-13-2016, 06:28 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
This weekend I got the opportunity to visit with Ross (Abluq F-1). He was on his way to Truckstock and spent the night in southern Missouri. It also gave me an excuse to visit my parents and sister.

Ross took a look at my carb and we fixed a couple of issues with it and had a great conversation. I got to ride in his beautiful 52. It amazes me how every FTE member I've had the privilege of meeting has been such a great experience.

Here is Ross digging into my carb in the bed of his truck.

Now I just need to carve out time to get it back on my truck and see how things run. If deer season didn't start Thursday, I would be calling in sick today.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:22 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Would have loved to see Ross as well. One of these days we need to go to Truckstock. Would be fun to convoy out there.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:31 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Would have loved to see Ross as well. One of these days we need to go to Truckstock. Would be fun to convoy out there.
Yep, I really want to go. I'm thinking maybe next year might be an option.
I don't think I would drive my truck....but....If I had someone smart with me and willing to go 50 mph.....
My house to this years Truckstock looks to be around 600 miles one way. That would be an adventure.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:42 AM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
I have an idea Joe. Lets get one started in the Heartland of America! I'm not quite up to driving that far either but would consider something a little closer. Missouri would be a perfect location. Lots of parks and public land. I'm in!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread