Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2014, 09:10 PM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
Abe, thanks for that advice. I do have the glass in it.
It didn't have any gasket in it. I'm guessing the gunk I cleaned off was the gasket that melted over the years. I will take the trim ring to see if I can fit some weatherstripping.

Here is a picture with the whole needle showing on the gauges. Sounds like I should do a little shopping at lunch tomorrow.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:29 PM
Kentucky Chapter Member

EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.
Mid-Fifty sells the colored translucent disks (jewels) for the signal and high beam indicators:

1948-60 Ford F-100 Dash IndicatJewel Set

May as well replace them while you're in there. IMO

Kentucky Chapter Member
Old 08-24-2014, 09:37 PM
Posting Guru

38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.
I mixed two paints to match the orange / red on the unfaded portion of the needles.

If you can't find the colors you need in a hobby store, try the enamel paint sold as nail polish... I did feel pretty weird staring at red nail polish at Walgreens, but got out in a couple minutes with my girlfriend's help. You will be very happy with your new looking gauges, I am with mine:
Old 08-24-2014, 09:51 PM
Postmaster

abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.
Mid Fifty sells the rubber insulator/dust keeper outer also at $2.50 plus shipping.

abe
FTE member since March '98
1954 F-100, bought from Grandpa in 1977 for $200
1970 F-350 flatbed dump, purchased 9/20/12
Old 08-25-2014, 05:25 AM
Posting Guru

The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.
I used neon dayglo orange-red paint on my speedo needle. It sure looks good and I can see it while I'm bouncing down the road at several MPH.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:07 AM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
Thanks guys,
I will take a look at that jewel set. I didn't look too close at those before I put it back together. It looks like they were just scotch taped on. My tape is a little weathered.

Nail polish, my wife and daughter have a TON of that. I will see if I can raid their stock.

I saw the dust seal last night.... shipping would be 3 times the part. Hey, I just ordered something from them. I wonder if I still have time to add it to that order. While I'm at it, maybe I should go ahead and buy the choke cable. It's pretty frozen up.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Kentucky Chapter Member

EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.
If you order from Mid-Fifty's "test page" before Sunday you get 5% off. It's not much, but every little bit helps.

Home - Mid Fifty F-100 Parts

Kentucky Chapter Member
Old 08-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Postmaster

Well, I decided to take the day off yesterday to work on my truck. It's nice having a day with no (well almost no) other responsibilities. I have cleaned and I'm in the process painting my inner fenders and my two spare rims. I took the two extra rims to my tire guy to make sure they looked good. I will replace my split ring rims with these.

I pulled the truck out and took it over to them and we decided that 235/85 -16 would be the best tire. So I scheduled an appointment to get that done. I need to clean up the front rims that are on it first.

I also need to find a radiator overflow for the parade on the 20th.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Henry got it right...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Well, I decided to take the day off yesterday to work on my truck. It's nice having a day with no (well almost no) other responsibilities. I have cleaned and I'm in the process painting my inner fenders and my two spare rims. I took the two extra rims to my tire guy to make sure they looked good. I will replace my split ring rims with these.

I pulled the truck out and took it over to them and we decided that 235/85 -16 would be the best tire. So I scheduled an appointment to get that done. I need to clean up the front rims that are on it first.

I also need to find a radiator overflow for the parade on the 20th.
Isn't it great to have a day off to work on your truck?

You are making great progress. Keep it going.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 08-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Postmaster

I got the two spare rims cleaned and painted. It's a cheap job of Rustoleum Rust Converter, Primer, then Paint.
As I was painting these and the inner fenders I was noticing that is sure wasn't perfect. But, I'm going for a work truck. It doesn't have to be show quality.

Before:

After:
Old 08-30-2014, 08:31 PM
Postmaster

My inner fenders turned out pretty good too:
Before:

After:

Now I said they looked pretty good, except for this. It will need to be addressed one of these days, but it should hold for the little driving I will be doing on it.

Next step is to clean the other two rims and also spend a little time on the instrument cluster. I got the rubber insulator in the mail today with a few other small parts.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:11 AM
Henry got it right...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Looking good Joe!

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 09-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Postmaster

Well with all that dirty work and my bad rim
See this thread: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...-be-saved.html

I decided to focus on my instrument cluster while the rest of the household was sleeping.
I reset the odometer to zero. Here is the thread that gave me courage to try this.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...ter-reset.html

I ended up using red nail polish on the needles, got the dust seal from MidFifty, painted the trim ring, reset the odometer and put everything back together. This morning was the odometer and reassembly. The clip to hold the odometer in place was the most difficult part of the process.

Now to put it back in the dash and attach the speedometer cable.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Kentucky Chapter Member

Looks nice, Joe.

Kentucky Chapter Member
Old 09-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Posting Guru

ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Hey Joe,
When is the parade? Are we close enough to count down? No pressure over there - just breathe.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Old 09-01-2014, 10:24 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1955, 239, 55, block, daytona, diagram, duplicolor, engine, f100, firing, ford, motor, order, paint, picture, v8, yellow