Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2012, 06:58 AM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
Well, I think I'm close to trying to start the engine.
I modified the broken flex line to I could get gas to the fuel pump.
It worked out perfectly where it was broken to put a hose on it; that is until it broke again. Fortunately the hose was able to fit over the larger part.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
Do you guys have any suggestions on steps for starting it up the first time?
I think I just need to get power to the coil and gas to the carb.
I'm going to fill the fuel pump bowl, is there a good way to fill the carb as well?

I plan on just having a battery handy for starting, any special tips on getting power to the coil?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Elder User

1952henry is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Do you guys have any suggestions on steps for starting it up the first time?
I think I just need to get power to the coil and gas to the carb.
I'm going to fill the fuel pump bowl, is there a good way to fill the carb as well?

I plan on just having a battery handy for starting, any special tips on getting power to the coil?

Don't know how good, but you could attach the fuel line to the carb, slip some rubber fuel line onto the other end, and carefully pour a couple of ounces of gas down the gullet into the fuel bowl. You could also carefully (don't make the gasket fubar) remove the air horn and fill the bowl that way.

I mine coal, therefore I proudly contribute to man-made warming (and lighting)...of your home, garage, shop, church, business, school, hospital, etc.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Replace the oil filter and fill with oil. Replace that old brittle fuel hose with a piece of fresh 3/8" fuel hose. If you've not done so, rebuild the carb. When I bring one out of long term storage, I like to use a portable tank with fresh gas. If you plan to do this get several feet of the 3/8" fuel hose. Clean the tank, probably have to have it boiled. A radiator shop can do this.
Pull the plugs and spin the engine 'till oil pressure is seen. By now you will have fuel at the carb if the pump is working. One thing you want to check while cranking or soon after it starts is the rocker assemblies for oil reaching them. When it starts, bring the RPM up a bit to get splash lubrication to the wrist pins and cam / lifter area.
A jumper wire from the non distributor side of the coil to the battery will get you fire to the ignition system if you are unsure of the existing wiring.
Good luck.

HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER HANDY
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a while. 2015 Escape SE EB 1.6 Wife's ride
Eighteen trillion, still spending and no end in sight. What fools! Argentina, move over, here we come.

Last edited by raytasch; 02-24-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: disclaimer
Old 02-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Junior User

Gregruk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Am parting out my complete 53/54 239 Y block & truck box , am happy to help get parts to people who need them for a restoration ... feel free to drop me a PM , Greg in the Uk !
Old 02-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Postmaster

Well I hooked up a battery to the starter and it spun for a second then stopped.
So I took it apart and here is what I found.

So do I need to find a new starter? I don't think that crack is supposed to be there.

Here are more pictures of the starter being torn apart for those that are interested.
Starter pictures by harrier1351 - Photobucket
Old 02-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Postmaster

abe has a great reputation on FTE.abe has a great reputation on FTE.abe has a great reputation on FTE.abe has a great reputation on FTE.
Is there a shop near you that rebuild alternators and generators? I had my starter rebuilt 12 years ago by such a shop...

abe
FTE member since March '98
1954 F-100, bought from Grandpa in 1977 for $200
1970 F-350 flatbed dump, purchased 9/20/12
Old 02-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abe View Post
Is there a shop near you that rebuild alternators and generators? I had my starter rebuilt 12 years ago by such a shop...
Good idea, there are a couple in the town I work in, I will run it by them on Monday.

I also saw that NAPA has some 6 volt starters pretty cheap. (About $60) Since I'm planning on going 12 volt, I wonder if they will work? I've read that 6 volt starters will work with 12 volts, but I'm always cautious with stuff like that.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Good idea, there are a couple in the town I work in, I will run it by them on Monday.

I also saw that NAPA has some 6 volt starters pretty cheap. (About $60) Since I'm planning on going 12 volt, I wonder if they will work? I've read that 6 volt starters will work with 12 volts, but I'm always cautious with stuff like that.
$60.00 for a starter is a good buy at today's prices on this old stuff. I would run out and buy it. A six volt Ford starter will generally live a long time on twelve volts. Just do not run the starter for long times without giving it time to cool.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a while. 2015 Escape SE EB 1.6 Wife's ride
Eighteen trillion, still spending and no end in sight. What fools! Argentina, move over, here we come.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
Joe, did you receive the thermostat housing yet? I mailed it on Tuesday. If so, does it fit OK?
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...uck-build.html
"you can call a pig a duck, but that won't make it quack!"
Old 02-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman52 View Post
Joe, did you receive the thermostat housing yet? I mailed it on Tuesday. If so, does it fit OK?
I haven't received it yet. I will let you know as soon as I get it. Hopefully it will be here Monday. Thanks again for hooking me up with it.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Postmaster

Good news! I got the thermostat housing in the mail from tinman52 awesome!! It fits great.

Got my new starter today as well. I put it on, but I don't have a battery readily available. I have to pull it out of my truck...
Man the bolt on top is a pain.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:15 PM
Postmaster

I shipped off my broken one to raytasch and he got it and started working on it right away.
He is not real happy with how it brazed. He's afraid that it might leak. So he is going to keep it for safe keeping.
Here is his work. It looks great to me...

A big thanks to Ray and Scott for their help. Hopefully I can return the favor or at least pass it on.

Hopefully this weekend I will get a chance to try and fire the engine up...
Old 02-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Postmaster

Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.
Hey Joe, that thing is looking real good!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:50 AM
Freshman User

Flybear2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey Joe, I was just looking through your thread and the job you did is great. Hats off to you. If there is a chance that you still have most of the front clip off is there any way you could get some good measurements for me on the cross member for the radiator support? The shot earlier of the frame all painted up and looking great had me drooling when I saw that cross member in it's entire original shape, but I have had no luck at all in finding someone with good measurements of that particular part. My 55 has been converted to a newer engine tranny setup out of a Mustang, and most of the work was done well. But you can sure tell that as time went on they got pretty frustrated, as a matter of fact from what I have been finding out I am the third or maybe the fourth owner since the build started. Hope to be driving it again soon. Anyway I am looking forward to more of your thread, great job.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:50 AM