1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 760 Likes on 371 Posts
Originally Posted by The Horvaths
Harrier, I understand that 239 accessories were painted black and rocker covers Argent. So, I think that your color scheme is (close to) period correct.
I'll re-hash seal measurements that I just took:

NOS B6C-8591-A: seal ID 0.625" (bushing), OD 1.877"
Aftermarket? B5A-8591-C, labelled "BB473" on flap: seal ID 0.625", OD 1.440"

Measured w/calipers, close enough for government work.
Well shoot, maybe I will stay with black then....there was a huge thread on this at one time, I will have to go back through it. I don't really like the Argent rocker cover look though....

I just looked at the book and here is what it has. It looks like the smaller seal was used for a lot of pumps and in 56 they started with the larger one.

That is probably why mine was easy to rebuild. The kit may not be available, but the parts separately are standard.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:02 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting that I measured two significantly different ODs. May be in where/how they were measured. Anyway, one's notably larger. Sad, I received one with a chip on the seal surface. The molded plastic seal carriers won't readily interchange. One has three notches and the other has four. Other than that, the ceramic seal surfaces themselves are effectively identical.
If you ever use a rotating ceramic seal, it must be absolutely clean for longest life. No oil, not even fingerprint oil, is the way to install them.

Last edited by The Horvaths; 08-06-2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Going over drawings and bill of material all day. Rampant typos.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:36 PM
tnguynaford
Senior User
You seem pretty excited and I completely understand. I look forward tosome pics. Mine is a 55 239 yblock so I am definitely interested in info on the guy that built it. Just in case.

OK, I just realized I am way behind... dang phones fault

Last edited by tnguynaford; 08-06-2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: comment was on post 2 pages back
Old 08-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tnguynaford
You seem pretty excited and I completely understand. I look forward tosome pics. Mine is a 55 239 yblock so I am definitely interested in info on the guy that built it. Just in case.

OK, I just realized I am way behind... dang phones fault
Well let just post his info here.
J & I Automotive Distributors
1624 State Highway A
Marshfield, MO
800-468-2448

I got the water pump back today. Woo Hoo!!!. Whatever he used to clean it up, I want some of that.

My water inlet tube got a little smashed. It was in iffy shape to begin with. I know Mac's has one.
It looks like he did some welding or something on the impeller. The picture isn't that great of the back.

I reviewed the how to properly color a Y-Block thread, and although there is no real consensus, I think I'm going with yellow for the pump. The pulleys and other attachments were black but all the old photos show the water pump yellow.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:34 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Have you got a water shut off on your water pump to your heater core? Mine looks like at one time it had a handle of some sort on it but no more. I've been tying to find one but can't seem to locate one. I'd post a picture but it just looks like an elbow (90 degree).

Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
OBTW the front looks great. I see what your talking about with the welding on the impeller, must have had trouble pressing it off.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:12 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier

I got the water pump back today. Woo Hoo!!!. Whatever he used to clean it up, I want some of that.
Try the little woman's dishwasher. Hey! It works for me.
But then I don't have a little woman anymore either.

Can't imagine why. Ya should see what I do to the wash machine.

Then again maybe ya don't. It ain't pretty.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Have you got a water shut off on your water pump to your heater core? Mine looks like at one time it had a handle of some sort on it but no more. I've been tying to find one but can't seem to locate one. I'd post a picture but it just looks like an elbow (90 degree).
My line out of the pump is just a long pipe running out of it that the hose connected to. I will have a picture of that when I put the pump back on. On the top for the other line there is a shutoff. Here is a picture of that.

I saw a picture one FTE just recently that someone had a ball valve inline for a shutoff. I think it was on the heater hose...

Old 08-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Try the little woman's dishwasher. Hey! It works for me.
But then I don't have a little woman anymore either.

Can't imagine why. Ya should see what I do to the wash machine.

Then again maybe ya don't. It ain't pretty.
You know, my little woman and I went to Jamaica many years ago. They nicknamed her Talawah. One of the definitions is: "Small but dangerous." I think I will leave the dishwasher alone.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:13 AM
tnguynaford
Senior User
Looks almost like new.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:51 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
MACs has the nipple & gasket for the waterpump bypass. I see in your pics yours is like mine corroded after 55 plus years

1948-79 Late-Ford-Pickup Truck Cooling System - MAC's Antique Auto Parts

Old 08-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
MACs has the nipple & gasket for the waterpump bypass. I see in your pics yours is like mine corroded after 55 plus years

1948-79 Late-Ford-Pickup Truck Cooling System - MAC's Antique Auto Parts
Yep, I was looking at the catalog this morning. It seems Mac's is about the only one who has it. That's fine, but I have several small $10 parts I want and it seems that they can all be found, but each vendor only has one of them. I'm getting so I'm spending more on shipping than the actual parts I need at the moment.
I guess I'm hoping the parts will magically appear in one catalog.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Well, I was painting my water pump and since I got the clutch shoulder bolt and spacer spring, I decided to put that all together. Well low and behold, some idiot put my rear brake frame bracket in that bag. When I looked several times, I thought it was my clutch return spring bracket. But that one is still attached to the suspension bumper in that bag. Cool...now I need to go buy some break line and start running them.

I will get a picture of the newly painted pump when it's back where it belongs. Good start to the weekend.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:55 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I have not read through this whole tread,So maybe it has all ready been brought up. I see you have used a copper gas line,My understanding is this could be a problem. It is my understanding that copper will become brittle, and could break, when used as gas line.I would hate to see your good work go up in flames. Maybe someone with better information could help. Sorry if this has been addressed.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:25 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by DR Smith
I have not read through this whole tread,So maybe it has all ready been brought up. I see you have used a copper gas line,My understanding is this could be a problem. It is my understanding that copper will become brittle, and could break, when used as gas line.I would hate to see your good work go up in flames. Maybe someone with better information could help. Sorry if this has been addressed.
I have replaced that line with a steel one. That picture was a little older. That copper line was put on there probably before I was born.

Quick Reply: 55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread