1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 06:56 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Joe, the replacement primary wire is the longer one, varying lengths. The insulated through the housing terminal you show is replaced and the primary wire runs all the way from the points to the coil. Not a perfect restoration but it eliminates one connection. The new primary wire may have to be shaved and or sealed with a dab of silicon where it runs through the housing. Napa has the replacement wire, may have to special order it. Do not use a regular heavy conductor wire as it must flex a lot.

Edit: I hope someone proves me wrong and the original type is still available for you restoration guys.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:01 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
OH, that makes sense. I tried Napa and they would have charged me shipping from Virginia which was the closest location. Dennis Carpenters then has everything I need. Time to order.

Thanks for the lesson.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:43 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Try Antique Auto Supply in TX, they only charge actual USPS shipping. For something small it saves a bundle. They carry DC's line.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:11 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow. I just found this thread, or found it again, I am not sure.

Your doing great. I just luv me a Y-Block.

One thing that I am thinking about is still the timing.
You moved the wires around the cap until ya got it to run.
But did you recheck the timing marks on the front of the engine at TDC in comparison to number #1 on the cap?. I ask this because if the timing chain
slipped than the thing ya do is move the wires around the cap until it runs
enough to get ya home.
With only 30k on It I hope this ain't what has happened.
I hope this makes since as it is late for me and meds are working great.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Arctic, My problem was that I wasn't smart enough to realize that the timing mark hits twice. So my plug wires were 180 degrees off. Also my cap doesn't have a #1 marked on it anywhere. The timing chain looked good and hadn't slipped.

When I get the radiator hooked up (Should be soon.) I will spend some more time on it and make sure it is running smoothly.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:26 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
So, I got the replacement primary wire in and it seems to be too short. What's up with that?

The original is on the right, it is a good 2 inches shorter than the original. What am I missing in my little pea brain? It's not long enough to reach to the points.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:17 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Can you slide the wire thru the grommet, or is it molded hard to the wire? What part number did you order, and from whom?

Old 05-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Can you slide the wire thru the grommet, or is it molded hard to the wire? What part number did you order, and from whom?
It is molded into the grommet. I ordered part number C0DF-12216-A from Dennis Carpenter. Primary Lead Wire Which says for "6 & 8 cyl 1951-60 6CYL 1954-56 V-8"

That number matches my book.....

Old 06-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Well since my wire looked pretty good. I just made a washer to replace the one that was falling apart. I actually just made one from radiator hose material. After doing that and getting my timing set better, it started up and ran fine. It even was pumping a little oil up to the rockers for the short run I did. About the time I shut the engine off, my 8 year old opened the garage door and commented how Mom didn't want the house smelling like gas...then Mom followed up with more of the same. "Why don't you roll it outside to do that?" "Well because you wanted the cab off your side of the garage and I can't roll it out with the cab on it..." I saw Ray's one many cab removal system and it is much more efficient than mine, so I will do that...

Now for the bad news.....
I went to put on the generator bracket and as I was tightening one of the bolts, it broke off. <insert your favorite cuss word here> Also, I have a little leak in the water pump. There is a small hole at the bottom section. It looks like it is supposed to be there. Well when I remove that and the timing cover to get the bolt part out, I will take a picture and show you what I have.

Also, what is the best way to remove that piece of bolt? It is probably less then 1/2 an inch of thread in the block. (We will see when I dig into it.) I don't have a bolt extractor tool, so if I need to buy one, suggestions on something fairly cheap that will do the job would be helpful. Grrrr....

No telling when I will get out to the garage to start on that. Kids baseball tends to take up a lot of time. It seems I only get 15 -20 minutes at a time in the garage when I do. My ADHD, no money and no clue all contribute as well.

Did I mention my son got hit by a pitch on April 19th and broke his maxilla? (The upper bone holding the teeth in) ER, Dentist, and Orthodontist bills so far. Maybe a root canal in the future as well....The joys of parenthood. By the way, he was back playing a week later. (One tough kid) It happened on a Friday, Monday the Dentist said he could play if he had a mask protecting his mouth. He said: "So technically I can play on Tuesday." We told him no baseball while taking pain meds. He went to Aleve that day. Good thing Tuesday got rained out.....

Old 06-02-2013, 09:11 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Joe,

Where is Ray's one man cab lift posted? I too am by myself with all my teenage grandsons in the service now I may build me one ASAP.

If you really need some help I could come out your way for a few hours if you give me some lead time.

BJ

Old 06-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Joe,

Where is Ray's one man cab lift posted? I too am by myself with all my teenage grandsons in the service now I may build me one ASAP.

If you really need some help I could come out your way for a few hours if you give me some lead time.

BJ
Gosh darn it...I'm sure I saw a picture somewhere, but I can't find it now. It was very simple. He took 4 chains and ran a bolt through the cab mounting points and hooked them to an engine hoist in the center of the cab. Of course you have to have the doors off for this to work. Ray, this was you wasn't it???? Where is that picture? (I'm not crazy, I'm not crazy, I'm not crazy...)

I would love to have you come over and visit. Having someone experienced just looking over what I have and giving me some tips and pointers would be wonderful. We will need to work out a time that I'm not running all over the place. I can put some brats and burgers on the grill and we can eat and you can teach me all sorts of stuff. That invitation goes out to anyone interested in traveling to scenic California MO, and willing to impart some knowledge.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Hey gang, I discovered my water pump had a leak. I talked to my uncle who owns an independent auto parts store, and he mentioned that I'm screwed. He doesn't have one, but he gave me a place that can rebuild them. I will call them this evening, but here is my question. Napa says they have it for sale.
NAPA AUTO PARTS

Do you think this would actually work for my truck. It's the high van mount and has the same number that my uncles books had (58-233) But the heater hose output looks to be on the wrong side...No, it's got both. Well maybe it will fit...any thoughts? They are asking $86. I called a local machine shop and they would ship my existing one out to get rebuilt. He guessed that it would cost about $110.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to get one in and see....I'm surprised they would have one though. Am I getting lucky?

Old 07-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
RockAuto.com says they have them for the 239. It's not listed under the 55, but it is listed under the 49, 51 and 52 for $93 minus a core charge.

Are the engines the same for all those years? EDIT: I see that's a Y Block and not a Flathead. Sorry...

Old 07-08-2013, 04:26 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
I got a kit from MACs and rebuilt my 272 WP (there are two different kits). Check them out. They Also had new pumps.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
I got a kit from MACs and rebuilt my 272 WP (there are two different kits). Check them out. They Also had new pumps.
Unfortunately the 239 is it's own little beast. The water pump is different and the 239 was only built for 1.5 years so they aren't as available.

Quick Reply: 55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread