Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering box difficulty

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:46 PM
rangergirl94
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Steering box difficulty

How hard is it to change the steering box on a 93 f150 4x4 im installing a 4 inch lift and also how hard is it to convert to dual shock front I have a donor truck?

Old 02-13-2012, 06:21 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
steering box is not that hard to change.
the hard part is lifting it into place. it is kind of heavy to wiggle around in the limited space you have.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
get a Red Head steering box if your going thru this trouble to replace the box. just make sure all other hardware such as tie rods and ball joints are in top notch shape. If you have the front sway bar still you wont need dual front shocks

Old 02-13-2012, 10:45 AM
donnor
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Shock"ing prospects...

Dittos on the steering box change; its not that hard. We have done it on three trucks this past year. Adding quad shocks is also a piece of cake if your truck already has the quad shock spring towers. If not, it is still not too hard. The most difficult part is cutting the five or six rivets that hold the standard spring/shock towers in place. An angle grinder, pin punch, and hammer are the keys to success; with the possible help of a torch for any stubborn rivets.

While you have the driver side unit out, install your new steering box: You have easier access from above the frame rail to hold the box in place. Also, clean up and rustproof/paint the frame sections where the towers attach; inspecting them first for any cracks or other issues needing repair. Bolt your new towers in place using grade 8 bolts (1/2 or 7/16 - I cannot recall).

One other item to take note of before you tear into your truck is whether or not the lower shock bracket with its integral shock bolt is already in place. A number of these trucks & Broncos had this part installed from the factory while others did not. If yours does not then you will have to remove the bolts that hold the front ends of the radius arms and the lower ends of the springs to remove the non-quad shock U-shaped axle arm stiffeners to replace them with the quad shock compatible units.

Of course, if you are going this far, change out your radius arm and axle arm pivot bushings since the access is so easy at this point. Do you also need to install new springs to replace older tired & sagging ones? Happy maintaining!

And remember: You can buy a lot of replacement & upgrade parts for your current classic truck with the money you save in not having a truck payment or higher sales and/or property taxes and insurance with a newer one. As well as being able to work on that older truck. !

dn.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:38 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
+1 on the redhead steering box. Those things are top notch and your truck will steer like you never thought it could.

The box itself is quite heavy. I am a pretty strong guy and it was a real challenge to hold the box in place with one hand and threading the bolts in with the other. I would guess a box weighs in the 80 lb range so if you can lay on your back and extend your arm while balancing a bag of concrete on it, then you can do this.

For your second question, you have to remove the coil spring and bucket. You get the bucket from the donor and there is a bracket that holds the lower end of the shock under the coil spring. You need to get that out as well.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:42 PM
rangergirl94
Elder User
Is there any benifits to quad shocks im not carrying a plow

Old 02-13-2012, 03:04 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Shocks don't add any weight carrying capacity. They help to control the front end if you're towing or hauling something heavy. So if you don't regularly do that then the quad shocks are a waste IMO. I had them, took the front ones off and didn't notice a difference.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:45 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Handling is a little better with double shocks, ride is better with single shocks. Check the link in my sig. for the Steering box removal procedure.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:53 AM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andym
I would guess a box weighs in the 80 lb range
I think they're a little less than that. Maybe 40 lbs. Still a bunch when you're trying to jockey it into place around the steering, frame and drivetrain. I've found this actually helped as I have been able to use these things to prop up the box while I start the bolts.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:12 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Maybe I'm not as strong as I think I am then.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Taking the Pitman arm off is what's the real issue...

Old 02-14-2012, 04:41 PM
IsaacCarlson
Cross-Country
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
I just did a steering swap in my 91 250. I replaced the power box with a manual box for a 1990. The power boxes are very heavy as was stated already. I used a 2 foot crescent wrench to turn the pitman arm puller bolt because the wrench didn't provide enough leverage and stripped out. It also works well for putting it back on. Put a pipe over the pitman arm when you remove and install it or you might damage the box internals. Do it with the box in the centered position. DO NOT POUND ON ANYTHING!!

Old 02-14-2012, 06:24 PM
rangergirl94
Elder User
I have the the drop pitman arm for the lift already on the donor so I dont have to remove it from the box

Old 02-14-2012, 06:27 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
i never had any problem removing the pitman arm from the steering box.

but getting the broken stub of the sector shaft out of the pitman arm was a biatch!!!

Old 02-14-2012, 07:04 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tjc transport
i never had any problem removing the pitman arm from the steering box.
Me neither. With the puller it comes right off.

Quick Reply: Steering box difficulty