1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Fuel Pump Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Byrd.Dog
Laughing Gas
Received 134 Likes on 106 Posts
Fuel Pump Upgrade?

My 60' F250 has been giving me some problems lately-It's hard to start(actually had to use ether) & falls on its face under acceleration(idles fine). So I re-plumbed my fuel system and installed a clear inline filter right in front of the carb. My pump is barely getting any fuel up to the filter; won't even fill it up. When I pull the supply line to the pump, fuel gravity flows from the tank, so that's not the problem. Is the stock replacement pump just weak? Will a mechanical pump from any other year fit on the 292 V8? I'd like to lose the filter assembly that comes on the stock pump & just use an inline one. Would I be better off to rig up an electric fuel pump?

Old 02-12-2012, 10:11 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Why not ,if it's failing, just replace the stock one, they work fine? Why do you want to bypass the screw-on canister-type filter on the stock pump?There may be one that doesn't have that filter.If you've got a really good parts guy at a NAPA or similar auto store,he can tell you for sure.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Byrd.Dog
Laughing Gas
My pump is fairly new (ok, it's 2 years old, but it probably has about 3 hours of use on it) & the filter in the canister looks good, so the pump must be the problem, right? What else is there?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:14 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

It is a cheap part to just swap out.That's what I'd do.Are you sure a bunch of crud from the gas tank didn't plug the canister filter on the pump?

Old 02-14-2012, 05:27 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Not filling the filter is not fully telling the story, it has air trapped. I would disconnect he line on the carb, put a coffee can there and turn the engine over to see what the volume looks like. If will come is surges as the pump is pumped by the engine.

I also agree with Buzzard, it is fairly cheap to replace if it looks like it is just not delivering the volume.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:34 AM
1960fordf350
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definetly see if the pump is pumping 1st. My 292 has a clear glass filter about halfway up the fuel tube going to the carb. My truck has never stumbled, AND I've never seen that filter full, EVER!! The pump may be bad, and if not, you might have a bad lobe for the pump. Even though you get fuel from the tank, the rubber hose might be weak, and collapses when vaccuum is applied by the pump, free flows otherwise.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:21 PM
HOTWRENCH
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Fuel Pumps

Many carbs have a screen in the needle valve, you also could have something
"floating" in the tank, or as others have replied bad rubber fuel lines. Y blocks and Fe's the fuel pump will interchange , and they are acutated by a eccentric mounted on the cam nose. You need to do a fuel delivery test and blow out the lines back to the tank.

Have A Great Day ----- Hotwrench

Old 03-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Byrd.Dog
Laughing Gas
Update

Last week, I got a new filter for the canister on the fuel pump. Couldn't get it to run until I removed the inline filter between the pump & carb, then it ran great...... for a day! Took it out on Sun. & was running fine, then all of a sudden just starts to stumble & die; barely got it back to the house. So I think my filter must be getting plugged up by gunk from the tank; drained the tank & removed it, and it looks pretty clean. Also have brand new fuel line all the way from the tank to the carb, BTW. I can also put a funnel full of fuel onto a tee just before the carb & it will run great. First question is, since I got the tank out anyway, how can I easily rinse it out to flush out any particulates? Second, my fuel pump HAS to be the problem, right?

Old 03-06-2012, 06:58 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 610 Likes on 547 Posts
Even if it's not the trouble you will have a good spare. Certainly sounds like a fuel pump at this point since you have ruled out dirt and plugged filters.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:24 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Originally Posted by Byrd.Dog
the filter in the canister looks good, so the pump must be the problem, right? What else is there?
How, just by looking at the spin-on fuel filter/canister, can you determine it looks good?If it's 2 years old, it needs changing, regardless.You could have crap in the carburetor.It takes only one small particle to cause problems.Sometimes, there will be no apparent problem just idling in the driveway,but putting it under a load will cause the problem.

You can replace that filter, put a kit in the carb,or have it done, and take the tank to a good radiator shop for boiling it out.Seal the tank afterwards.Check out this recent post from Axracer over in the the 48-60 Forum:

" If you want to keep the in cab tank and are concerned about leaks, fumes, etc., temporarily remove the tank, flush the insides (search on gas tank cleaning for methods) and coat the inside with aviation grade gas tank sealer, often called "slushing compound" for it's application method. Pour it in, slosh it all around to coat, pour out the excess and let dry. It's required on airplanes that use gasoline. You can find it at local airports that have private plane maintenance service, custom motorcycle shops (used to seal handmade custom gas tanks) and from Eastwood. New gas tanks are going to be made from much thinner metal."

Finally, after 50 years,why not just replace the fuel lines?They're not expensive.If you do all these things,you'll likely not have to do it again for 20 years.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Byrd.Dog
Laughing Gas
Still having Issues

I found a fuel pump for an FE block that fits my Y block - OE mechanical pump for 80-83 302. It bolted on perfectly. Fired up the truck & fuel started shooting out of the little air vent on the top of the fuel bowl. Well, at least I know I'm getting enough fuel! Anyway, I took apart my fuel bowl & found that the o-ring on the float level adjuster was crumbling, so I replaced it. Anyway, is that most likely why fuel was shooting out of the carb, or is my new pump overpowering the needle & seat in the inlet? The pump is only rated at 5-7 psi.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
5-7 psi is typical for the carburetor, should be no problem.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:18 AM
KC Ray
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was having similar problems with fuel starvation. I replaced the inline filter first and that didn't help much. Replaced the fuel pump with one from Autozone for less than $30 and it helped a little. Pulled the carb and put the one from my '82 F150 302 on and had no change. While the carb was off I pulled the float bowl and check that thefloat was okay and level. Also shot carb cleaner thru all the inlets. Put it back together and it was no better. Replaced the fuel lines, no change. Pulled the tank out and cleaned it really well, with lots of little pieces of the liner material coming out. It helped but still the truck died while driving. I gave up during the winter. Last week I went out and turned the idle mixture screws. Guess what? I was able to drive her down the road and back with no hesitation, sputtering, back-fire or anything. Just need to figure out why I couldn't get past 50mph without it sounding like it wants to blow to pieces!

Last edited by KC Ray; 03-18-2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: I didn't proof read before posting
Old 03-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Byrd.Dog
Laughing Gas
It lives!!!! Cleaned the tank, but still getting little black flakes in the fuel filter. Runs good, though. Think I need to do more work on the tank, or am I just getting all the crap that was left in the fuel lines?