Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

I'm starting to not like my truck

Old 02-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Cory281
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm starting to not like my truck

This truck has given me nothing but problems and head ache. I tried to start it today and it was running and warming up then quit. Now I can't get it to start, the fuel filter has no gas in it so it's not getting gas, the front tank has plenty and the rear hasn't been used since I filled it up.

What could be the problem? I was worried the front was running low so I switched it to the rear after I re started it and then it died and isn't getting gas. I'm wondering if it just ran out in between switches? How can I get it going again? I have sat there pumping the pedal and turning it over and nothing works.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:25 PM
starwriter
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing happened to me, it could be a clogged fuel filter or the fuel pump. Fuel filters are cheap I would try that first there is probably one on the carb as well, it's a small metal cylinder. My fuel filter looked clean but the paper filter inside was so old it wasn't letting gas pass through.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:31 PM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
I had an issue like this...first check to make sure your pump is working properly...pull the fuel line that goes to your carb...have someone turn the engine over while you hold the fuel line...if the pump is working properly, it will gush fuel out...check both tanks...my guess is you will have "gushing" fuel from both tanks...I found out that my Carb needed to be rebuilt. Check your carb...when is the last time it was rebuilt? Just my .02 worth...hope it helps...

Old 02-12-2012, 01:50 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds like a fuel pump issue.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Cory281
Senior User
I started the truck to let it run while I scraped the windows and as soon as I got done it died on me. I re started it and switched over to the other tank thinking the front tank was getting low on gas. It ran for a little bit then died again and now won't restart. I popped the hood and there is no gas in the fuel filter(it is a clear see through by the carb). I think it may have ran out of gas and won't switch tanks for some reason. I put it back on the front and put 5 gallons back in and am now going to go disconnect the fuel line and dump it in and see if that helps.

I think if the fuel pump was bad it would have given me some warning?

Old 02-12-2012, 02:03 PM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Cory281

I think if the fuel pump was bad it would have given me some warning?
Not necessarily...I've had them go out without warning...one thing you can do, is install a fuel filter before your pump, to keep trash out of the pump...Check the flow of fuel...I'm still leaning toward the carb needing to be rebuilt...

Mine would run for a good while...as long as there wasn't a load on the engine. As soon as there was a load put on the engine, it would "dry-out" the fuel filter I have installed between the pump and carb. I installed a new carb (to use the truck while I rebuilt the carb, plus it doesn't hurt to have an extra carb laying around) and it runs like a new truck...granted it took me 3+ months to track down the issue...I ended up replacing the tank and all the fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel filters, etc, etc...ended up being the last thing I thought it would be...the carb...

Old 02-12-2012, 03:11 PM
USArmyTaterness
Posting Guru
If it is too much headache I guess I could be a proper gent and take it off your hands.

I am casting my vote for the carb. They can pretty gummed up over the years. Take a weekend and a rebuild kit and give her a good cleaning.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Cory281
Senior User
I just put a new pump on the truck and tried to start it, still nothing. I think I have flooded it though because I poured gas into the line and the filter right before the carb. I'll try again in a minute.

How could a bad carb do this though? I could understand it being the carb if the fuel filter was filling up with gas and it still not running. How could the carb cause the filter not to fill up?

If I still cannot get gas to stay in the filter I'm going to disconnect the lines and blow them out with a air gun to see if they are plugged up. It's cheap insurance over taking apart my carb.

Thanks for all the help, if this is my carb doing this then I owe you guys.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Cory281
Senior User
Originally Posted by USArmyTaterness
If it is too much headache I guess I could be a proper gent and take it off your hands.

I am casting my vote for the carb. They can pretty gummed up over the years. Take a weekend and a rebuild kit and give her a good cleaning.
Haha, come and pick it up. It gave me a bunch of crap on friday and wouldn't start either. That's why I'm mad right now, twice in one weekend gets old.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:38 PM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
If the floats are gummed up, it won't pull fuel in...I went so far as to hook up an electric fuel pump...I could pull the hose from the fuel inlet on the carb, and spray gas out of the line all day...hook it back up, and it would dry up...not sure on the technical side of it, but I would loosen up the clamp on the inlet hose, and it would release pressure and fuel would start pumping out...it's a quick check, pull the hose off the inlet and see if you get fuel...if you do then chances are your carb is gummed up?

Old 02-12-2012, 05:23 PM
tude
More Turbo
Sounds like to me a broke line.... Hook fuel lines up as they are suppost to be. Get a blow gun, wrap a rag around it and blow in the tank. Look for gas on the floor.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:34 PM
F-250 WARHORSE
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Since you have dual tanks, Check your tank solenoid. I have had this give me problems multiple times. On mine if the fuse blows it reverts to the front tank. The switch will register whatever the gauge reads in the tank but if your solenoid is bad, wire bad, fuse blown or switch bad you can fill the tank to the brim, park on a steep hill and try to pump or suck fuel and it won't flow a drop. Look at that solenoid, climb underneath and have someone switch it back and forth with key on and listen for the thing to click. If no click check for power at the wire. If no power and fuse is good, start looking. If you want to bypass the solenoid for now and see if it helps. Mine would do what you said, just barely run then die then restart then die.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Cory281
Senior User
Originally Posted by F-250 WARHORSE
Since you have dual tanks, Check your tank solenoid. I have had this give me problems multiple times. On mine if the fuse blows it reverts to the front tank. The switch will register whatever the gauge reads in the tank but if your solenoid is bad, wire bad, fuse blown or switch bad you can fill the tank to the brim, park on a steep hill and try to pump or suck fuel and it won't flow a drop. Look at that solenoid, climb underneath and have someone switch it back and forth with key on and listen for the thing to click. If no click check for power at the wire. If no power and fuse is good, start looking. If you want to bypass the solenoid for now and see if it helps. Mine would do what you said, just barely run then die then restart then die.
I think this is the problem. After a new fuel pump and 5 gallons in the front and rear tanks we got it to start. I went and filled it up with gas and it's running fine. My brother climbed underneath the truck while i flipped the switches, it doesn't make any noise so something is wrong. Either a blow fuse or bad selector switch, sucks that was all that was wrong, but oh well. I'm going to look at it some more tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help and ideas guys.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:49 AM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,276 Likes on 1,080 Posts
Well, my '77 got a new fuel pump in 2002 or 03 just before I hauled a big trailer to Ga., so if your new one holds up as well .... you should be good for a long time.

Thing is with me, for many years I carried a spare and when I needed it, I guess the diaphram had rotted because it didn't pump at all. Still had to buy new.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:01 AM
USArmyTaterness
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Cory281
Haha, come and pick it up. It gave me a bunch of crap on friday and wouldn't start either. That's why I'm mad right now, twice in one weekend gets old.
PM me an address and I will get my movers to come get it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm starting to not like my truck