1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Another Instrument Cluster Question. Lamp holders & Km/h grading???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 12:30 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Another Instrument Cluster Question. Lamp holders & Km/h grading???

Hie you all

1: I am in a need for some lampholders to the 56 instrument cluster. 3 of the lamp holders are beyond repair. I have been searching for som universal holders but havenīt had any luck yet.

2: In sweden we have the problems with Km/h. By law we have to have a km/h grading clearly visable on the cluster. The former owner had a plasic sticker put on the glas...........it looks like ****. The question is. Does anyone know if there are a km/h grading available in some way that looks like original or better yet do you know if ford made a km/h grading back in 56...

Thanks

Old 02-12-2012, 12:44 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Since Ford exported cars and trucks all over the world, a Kph speedo would have been available in select markets. We've seen them on trucks in South America and South Africa. Finding one would be extremely difficult. I would think you'd have better luck (and probably cheaper, too) having a dial custom screened by a gauge restoration shop than finding an original part.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:18 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Just bumping the questions

Old 02-13-2012, 10:40 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Here is a lengthy discussion. The gent in Brazil was able to find a KPH speedo.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...i-pick-up.html

Old 02-13-2012, 11:13 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
The search is on.....

Well i figured it wasnīt going to be easy.

I just have to keep my eys open and put out some strings to see if somethings pop up.

What about the lamp holders...... anyone ??

Old 02-13-2012, 12:02 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
FOUND the lamp holder, exact retrofit

Hie you all. Two evenings infront of the www I found an exact retrofit lamp holder for the instrument cluster light bulbs

#559 or #560 depending on what bulb you want today:

Bulbs

Isnīt the www fantastic

Old 02-13-2012, 03:30 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We changed to KPH in about the mid 70s in Australia and we also had all those wierd stickers etc.
I know of a company in melbourne that does metric conversions, i will check with them and get back to you. John

Old 02-13-2012, 11:16 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by lexcoe
We changed to KPH in about the mid 70s in Australia and we also had all those wierd stickers etc.
I know of a company in melbourne that does metric conversions, i will check with them and get back to you. John
Lexcoe:

Thanks please do that and get back to me here or in a pm

Thanks again

Old 02-14-2012, 03:54 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
Jimmy,
i rang Ringwood Speedometer Services and the good news is they can certainly redo your existing speedo to KMH, using either the existing mechanical cable drive or even change it to electronic (for instance for use with an ECU/ modern engine).
I have used them before for some of my past projects and they do fantastic work for a reasonable price.
I guess the main drawback for you is they are on the other side of the world, so let me know your thoughts. I think i may have some spare speedos if that helps any.

Cheers John

Old 02-14-2012, 07:40 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
John, I'm curious if they can change the odometer too, not just the speedometer?

Old 02-14-2012, 09:49 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
John, I'm curious if they can change the odometer too, not just the speedometer?
I guess I never really thought about that part. I'm sure any shop that repairs and restores speedometers should be able to regear the odo to register Km's instead of miles. It would just be a matter of finding the right pieces to make it work.

I know there are several gauge resto companies that advertise in the magazines all around the US that could rebuild/recalibrate the speedo unit and screen kph numbers on a dial. Surely there's someone in Europe that does the same kind of work. They might even have an easier time converting the odo to metric, since the pieces have to be much more readily available there than here. Even if it's just adapting one from another type vehicle.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:01 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Wayne, I've had the misfortune to get inside some speedos, and the reason I asked is that there are several very small gears used to drive the odometer(s). I doubt you can just replace one gear to convert. Unless there are spares still available for the export models, I'd bet that some kind of cable-drive gearset to speed up the input is the best way to get the odometer to read right, combined with re-numbering the speedometer.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:12 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
I'm sure you're right. I was thinking as I was typing, making it up as I went along. But the point is, there's very likely a way to do it. And if it means robbing parts off a SAAB, well, there you go. ;-)

Old 02-15-2012, 12:21 AM
lexcoe
Elder User
The odometer was one of my questions to them and they assured me after the conversion it reads correctly. I would also assume someone in Europe does this kind of work, but i guess you never know with some things. John

Old 02-15-2012, 03:50 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by lexcoe
Jimmy,
i rang Ringwood Speedometer Services and the good news is they can certainly redo your existing speedo to KMH, using either the existing mechanical cable drive or even change it to electronic (for instance for use with an ECU/ modern engine).
I have used them before for some of my past projects and they do fantastic work for a reasonable price.
I guess the main drawback for you is they are on the other side of the world, so let me know your thoughts. I think i may have some spare speedos if that helps any.

Cheers John
Thanks a lot John

I will try to find some company closer to Sweden. Depending on what I will find I will get back to you.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Another Instrument Cluster Question. Lamp holders & Km/h grading???