Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2012, 12:50 AM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

jamesoncue is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question 2002 Explorer 'O/D OFF' light flashing, code P1151

Hello,

I've had a problem for a while with my SUV. It's a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD. It seems to drive without issue. Between about 2-11 miles worth of driving, the 'O/D OFF' lamp begins flashing steadily. It will continue flashing until the car is turned off. The 'Service Engine' lamp does not come on. When you start the car again, the 'O/D OFF' lamp is not lit.

I hooked up an ODBII reader and was able to get some information from it. It gave me code P1151, and this was the only code it gave me. I am concerned that the presence of this code will not allow me to pass a smog check (California). My ODBII reader also gave me some extra information relating to that code -- I can provide if it is useful.

What do you think it might be? What should be my first step in further diagnosing and repairing this issue? I am not very experienced when it comes to cars but I am willing to give it a shot.

Most importantly, will my car be able to pass a smog test??? The 'Service Engine' lamp is not on.

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide!!

JC
Old 02-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Postmaster
2010 Lincoln MKT
My Garage

shorod has a good reputation on FTE.shorod has a good reputation on FTE.shorod has a good reputation on FTE.
The P1151 diagnostic code is not related to OD Off light or the transmission, that codes is defined as "Lack of HO2S-21 Switch, Sensor Indicates Lean" and the description for this code is "A HEGO sensor indicating lean at the end of a test is trying to correct for an over-rich condition. The test fails when fuel control system no longer detects switching for a calibrated amount of time."

You will likely need access to a professional scan tool that can access the transmission codes to identify the system causing the OD Off indicator to flash.

If the P1151 code is in memory as either a history code or a pending code when you take the smog test, it may cause the vehicle to fail the smog check. If it's really just a smog check, they may not care about the OD Off indicator.

-Rod
Old 02-12-2012, 01:09 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator

Tags
2002, 2003, 4000, exploer, explorer, flashing, ford, light, minnesota, od, review, sport, super, trac, truck