1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My '51 suspension/steering project

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 04:13 PM
wallster
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '51 suspension/steering project

My friend and I are converting the (almost) stock front suspension with a heidt's mustang II suspension kit. Today, we removed both front fenders extracted the front axle with leaf springs still attached. We also removed the shock mounts and the riveted leaf spring mounts that were attached to the frame. The previous owner had installed all new bushings with zerk fittings (for the leaf springs bolts), new king pins, and a GM disc brake kit (about ten years ago). These have the GM 5-4.75 wheel bolt pattern. If anyone is interested in this complete front end let me know. I also ordered a set of hugger style headers. More updates as the parts arrive and we install them.
Pics below of our progress (and the old parts).

Wally

1951 F1 - "Lucille"

Old 02-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
OMG !!! Lucille has her hoodie off! AND her fender skirts!!!

edit: Purely Truck ****! Shame on her! I just hope there's no Woodies around...

edit2: Holy Crap! You can even see her headlights!!!!

Old 02-11-2012, 07:44 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Only if you weren't 3,000 miles away.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep the picture coming.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:01 AM
canadian_diesel1964
Senior User
would love to see the pics of a future upgrade for myself....

Old 02-13-2012, 08:45 PM
BigB9000
Senior User
I could use the Disc stuff for my F-1 project:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...on-thread.html

But would only need the bearing adapters and caliper brackets.
Interested in letting them go nice and cheaper?

Old 02-14-2012, 06:12 AM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
very nice and clean. i look forward to more pictures for motivation....

Old 02-14-2012, 06:20 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by canadian_diesel1964
would love to see the pics of a future upgrade for myself....
An alternative to the M11 particularly for 48-52 would be a Jag IFS. Lots of info on the forum, just search on "jag ifs".

Old 02-14-2012, 11:26 AM
wallster
Elder User
Nothing to update or post yet. I ordered the Heidt's MII kit last week (as well as the steering pump through JPL StreetRods... I've heard good and bad feedback on this forum so we'll see), just waiting for everything to arrive so we can start puttin' her together. While she's apart, we're installing an electric fan, new water pump, hugger headers, new spark plugs, and replacing the valve cover gaskets. I'm hoping we can wrap it all up within the next two weeks.

Wally

1951 F1 - "Lucille"

Old 02-14-2012, 11:33 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
You may as well clean and detail the motor, as well as make the wiring look pretty (if needed), while you have access to the engine from almost every angle. Also, do any preventative maintenance now, even if you think you don't need it, while easy accces is available.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Nice work, Wally! I just had a new MII front end cross member welded into my frame. Waiting on some other stuff to come in then I'll start assembly on the rest of the front end components, kinda like you! Mine will probably be getting STARTED 2 weeks from now, hopefully finishing up over spring break while my kid is off school and I have some vacation time. Would love to see your progress pics as I'll be following right behind you. Also, if it isn't too much to ask, let me know if you sell your old front end stuff and how much it goes for. Once I get organized and our new front end complete, I will probably also try to sell as much of our old stock front end as I can.

Thanks! And keep up the good work!

Tyler

Old 02-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Keep us updated. I am very interested to hear your report regarding the stopping power of that disc brake conversion you had on the stock axle vs. what you'll have with the MII. JPL is "okay" to deal with. I bought my MII kit from them. Just don't believe them when they say it's gonna ship immediately.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by Doc
Keep us updated. I am very interested to hear your report regarding the stopping power of that disc brake conversion you had on the stock axle vs. what you'll have with the MII. JPL is "okay" to deal with. I bought my MII kit from them. Just don't believe them when they say it's gonna ship immediately.
I am pretty new to all this, but so far my experience has shown that any question that begins with the word "when", is answered "next week" but the reality is at least three weeks later than that.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:55 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Tyler,

If you want a breakdown of how much stock stuff is worth, send me a PM or email and let me know what exact parts you have. I'll be able to give you a general idea or a starting point.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:25 PM
wallster
Elder User
Finally got around to getting some work done! I had a pretty good scare when I was taking my Mom to an appointment on February 15th. She had been fighting a cold virus for a few weeks and on the way she told me she couldn't breath and needed emergency care. When we arrived at the emergency room (one hell of a ride... possibly a land speed record) she had stopped breathing. She was on a ventilator until yesterday and she's now doing much better. We have our fingers and toes crossed but so far so good. Needless to say, the truck took a back seat. We have however, received the crossmember and we are in the process of welding everything up and fashioning some motor mounts. I also have my engine partially dismantled (it's a 1973 Chevy camaro 307) and when I'm through it will look like an early '60's Chevy 283. Here's the latest photo. Not very exciting but we should be back on track and updating this thread soon.

Wally

1951 Ford F1 - "Lucille"

Quick Reply: My '51 suspension/steering project