Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2012, 02:57 PM
New User

jsers is starting off with a positive reputation.
2004 Explorer door locks / door ajar

My locks on the driver’s door do not work when the vehicle is parked. The locks work find from the other doors, the keypad and the remote. Also door ajar light comes on. When the vehicle is moving the locks work fine.

I replace the lock switch, but it didn’t make any difference .I lossen the three screws holding the mechanish sprayed with lots to WD40 and moved the mechanism aroubnf a little, it worked a couple of timews, but then back to nothing.

Thinking about replacing the door ajar switch, but not sure of the relationship to the lock. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Posting Guru

caseys has a good reputation on FTE.caseys has a good reputation on FTE.
There is a lot of information on this forum... just search for: door ajar.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. ~ Ancient
Old 09-23-2012, 02:56 PM
New User

Cc2016 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2004 Explorer door locks / door ajar

My 2004 mountaineer is doing the same thing, drivers door unlock sw intermittently inop and door ajar light on. Did you ever find a fix?
Old 09-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Postmaster

shorod has a good reputation on FTE.shorod has a good reputation on FTE.shorod has a good reputation on FTE.
Welcome to the forum! There are several threads on this forum pertaining to the door ajar switch in the latch getting dirty and needing to either be cleaned or replaced. Additionally, there are several threads related to broken wires in the accordion boot between the door and cabin. The power door lock switch being intermittent is probably due to the broken wire issue. The door ajar indication could be a broken wire or it could be the switch issue.

-Rod
Old 09-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Posting Guru

caseys has a good reputation on FTE.caseys has a good reputation on FTE.
As shorod said, could be a bunch of different issues with the door ajar ... see if any of these search ideas help:

Door Ajar - Search Results

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. ~ Ancient
Old 09-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Junior User

BigRondo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had similar electrical issues with my 02 xlt. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the delayed accessories didn't work, etc. The alarm would beep twice when I armed it. Recently all 4 windows stopped working. Most recently the driver door lock actuator stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 3 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ. I had to repair the pink/black wire to fix the driver door lock actuator.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: How To: Remove/Replace 3rd Gen Door Panel - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: How To: Fix the Door Ajar Problem - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

Could also be related to the door ajar switch.

Here is a great thread for checking/replacing the door ajar switch, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: Door AJAR Switch Replacement on 2002XLT w/Photos - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepotroast View Post
That is a great write up.

On a side note, before going through a complete replacement of the switch, you can spray WD40 into the door latch opening on each door, as these become stuck sometimes....and this can alleviate the issue.

This worked for me, after going for more than a year of the "door ajar" light coming on occasionally...mainly after a car wash, high humidity, or rain....making me unable to lock/arm the vehicle from the door keypad and keeping the dome lights on. Worth a try....it worked for me :thumbsup:
Good luck with the fix.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:00 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator

Tags
03, 2003, 2004, 2005, adjar, ajar, door, explore, explorer, ford, forum, jsers, left, switch, work