Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > General Diesel Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

General Diesel Discussion SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Freshman User

Ben FORD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ladder Step Platform for mechanics under hood

Hi all,

Can someone send me a link for the roll around ladder that has steps and a platform that lets you work OVER an engine? I saw one on here somewhere yesterday but cannot find it again now.

Thanks!!!!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Elder User

smotrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.smotrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Someone made one that actually hooks into the tow hooks and allows you to stand in front of and above the engine rather then use the bumper.

I'll see if I can find the thread for that one.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Freshman User

Found it!!

REL Stapleton Topsider Creeper #3-110 | eBay

REL Stapleton Topsider Creeper, Model# 0-00019 | Creepers | Northern Tool + Equipment

Buying it!!!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Elder User

artfd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Exclamation

I've used something like this before, position is more comfortable: HD 6 FT Stackable Mobile Scaffolding Scaffold 1000 LBS | eBay
Old 02-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Posting Guru

Tailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by artfd View Post
I've used something like this before, position is more comfortable: HD 6 FT Stackable Mobile Scaffolding Scaffold 1000 LBS | eBay
See, I've thought something like that would be nice...but isn't 6 feet too high?

As for the other style, you can simply get an old outdoor patio chair cushion and lay it across the top of your engine and lay on it. Works great. Maybe cover it with heavy-duty trash bags and tape it up.
HERS: 2000 Excursion PSD Ltd, 4x2, Dark Green, DP Tuner, T500, RR FrX, AutoMeter gauges, AIS w/ Zoodad, ITP HP/X, Walker BTM, Dahl 100, ELC, Coolant Filter, 203 Tstat w Billet Housing, AIH delete, Hellwig swaybar, KYB shocks, Amsoil Bypass / fluids, Hutch Mod
HIS: 2000 Excursion PSD Ltd, 4x2, Chestnut, BTS Tranny, T500, RR FrX, AutoMeter gauges, ELC, Coolant Filter, 203 Tstat w Billet Housing, AIS w/ Zoodad, ITP HP/X, Magnaflow 4" turbo back, WW, AIH delete, KYB shocks, Hellwig swaybar, Melling LPOP, Bellowed Uppipes, Hutch Mod, EBPV Delete
Old 02-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Elder User

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate77478 View Post
See, I've thought something like that would be nice...but isn't 6 feet too high?

As for the other style, you can simply get an old outdoor patio chair cushion and lay it across the top of your engine and lay on it. Works great. Maybe cover it with heavy-duty trash bags and tape it up.
The scaffold platform I illustrated is adjustable down to about 2 feet above the ground. If you adjust it even with the edge of your engine bay, it's very comfortable.
I built my own truck bed shell in place on my F150, it made the work much easier than it otherwise would have been.
That scaffold is useful for many other things around my house, and a whole lot safer than a simple ladder.
A 3 foot by 3 foot piece of 3/4" plywood can lay across the top of my F250's engine for something similar to what you described - although that depends on whatever sticks out of the top of your engine compartment, may not always be a good idea, it just happens to work for my old diesel. Cushions are optional.
2001 F150 4.2L gas, bought at 11,000 miles & have 108,000 on it. Getting 14 mpg around town & 17-21 mpg on interstates depending on wind & slopes. I replaced my rusted out radiator core support in my backyard last winter, it only too me 5 months. If I'm lucky I can use this truck another 3 or 4 years before it falls apart from rust.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Postmaster

Pitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by artfd View Post
This is nice but shipping is almost as much as the price of the scaffolding. I'm looking at getting a topside creeper from Northern.
PAA#128 / Rob-(02 F350 Crewcab 4x4 Longbed 7.3L) Banks Power Pack System w/tri-pilar gauges, Banks Power Elbow, Banks Turbo Back Exhaust, Banks Intercooler, Banks 1.0 housing, Banks WW Zoo-dad, HPx, FRx, CCV, AFE 6637, Hutch & Harpoon w/Dieselsite Fuel Filter, Trans, Oil, Coolant Bypass Filter, Billet Stat Housing, OCR, 6.0 Cooler,DP-Tuned Wifes-(02 Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L) Banks Power Elbow, Banks Turbo Back Exhaust, Banks 6 Gun Programmer, Zoo-dad, HPx, FRx, CCV, AFE 6637, Hutch & Harpoon w/dieselsite Fuel Filter, Trans, Oil, Coolant Bypass Filter, Billet Stat Housing, 6.0 Cooler
Old 02-26-2012, 07:07 AM
Freshman User

I got the topside creeper last week and I love it. Very sturdy and it just makes sense. I opted for the non-colapsable model for a few reasons, it extends a little bit higher, I figured the collapsable might not be as sturdy over time, and I have the room.
2005 EX EB PS original owner. In-progess - Sinister EGR delete, coolant filter, Banks High-Ram, upgrade oil cooler, ARP studs with Onyx gaskets, MBRP with cat delete, STC kit, Edge Evolution CTS. Spring lift and custom rear blocks, airbags, Bilstein 5100's, 2011 F-250 wheels with adapters, chrome grill.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Elder User

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbragiel View Post
This is nice but shipping is almost as much as the price of the scaffolding.
I bought my scaffold (exactly as pictured) for $150 at Costco in Indianapolis in 2006 when I was visiting, so no shipping charge at all. Threw the box in the back of my pickup & carried it home, easy. It was not offered by Costco for very long, they don't have it any more & no one sells it for anything like that price in my area - they seem to want $300 for a similar scaffold, which is ridiculous. You can rent the same thing from Home Depot, but they want way too much money for renting it.
2001 F150 4.2L gas, bought at 11,000 miles & have 108,000 on it. Getting 14 mpg around town & 17-21 mpg on interstates depending on wind & slopes. I replaced my rusted out radiator core support in my backyard last winter, it only too me 5 months. If I'm lucky I can use this truck another 3 or 4 years before it falls apart from rust.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:32 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > General Diesel Discussion

Tags
bedshell, creeper, engine, f150, hood, ladder, mechanic, mechanics, motor, platform, stand, step, truck, trucks, underhood, work