Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Air Intakes, Air Filters & Ram Air
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 AM
New User

NC bubba is starting off with a positive reputation.
just a filter vs. a system

I am thinking about getting a better flowing filter or a intake system for my 4.0L Ranger but would like to know if the extra expense of the intake tube is worth any power/economy gains.
I know with a system there is a sucking sound and i really don't want that just better performance with the least amount of investment.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:29 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
If you do an online search for “air filter test” there is a lot of very good information. IMHO, the CAI units are NOT WORTH THE $$! Unless you are talking about a system that was specifically designed for a specific application there are very little hp/tq gains actually achieved in a street use vehicle and there are very few docs that these mfg’s can produce that actually show an increase in hp/tq in the power-band range of a relatively stock street vehicle.

I would avoid oil impregnated filters. While they have their purpose in off-road applications, Ford/GM/Dodge all have “watch-out” bulletins where the oil has contaminated intake sensors. - they even have a training video for the techs on this (flatratetech.com) .

If you look at the flow data, WIX HP filters flow 98+% of K&N and have a much smoother flow post filter plus excellent filtering, for a fraction of the price!

Recently, Testand Corporation conducted an ISO standards test on automotive air filters which can be viewed at this link: http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrol...r-testing.html
Old 02-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Freshman User

spastik monkey is starting off with a positive reputation.
A cai kit is only good when you're going to something like a ram air or a true vehicle specific CAI kit. Otherwise, just get a quality aftermarket filter.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Senior User

RAPR is starting off with a positive reputation.
RAPR
Read this:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...r-air-aid.html

Different engine, same story

2011 F-250 CC - 6.2L, 4x4, 3.73, Lariat Ultimate Pkg, ReadyLift 3.5"Fx3.0"R lift kit, 295/70-18 Terra Grapplers
'Capital Campers', give your go some show
Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Air Intakes, Air Filters & Ram Air

Tags
filter, ford, intake