Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Exhaust Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Blitzcraig
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Temperature

What's the normal range for exhaust temperature on a IDI turbo? When I kick the turbo up to around 5 or more psi (according to the Hypermax gauge) the exhaust temperature quickly climbs to around 1200 degrees (according to the same Hypermax gauge).

Old 02-09-2012, 07:10 AM
IDI guy
Elder User
Originally Posted by Blitzcraig
What's the normal range for exhaust temperature on a IDI turbo? When I kick the turbo up to around 5 or more psi (according to the Hypermax gauge) the exhaust temperature quickly climbs to around 1200 degrees (according to the same Hypermax gauge).
that is too hot ! Mine idles at 250* with 5 psi it sits at 500* on a hill with a load it gets up to 7-800* any hotter than that and I pull over and let her cool down. Fix your heat problem or you will be looking for a new engine ! Turn your fuel down, make sure your cdr isn't blowing oil into your air intake, that is where I would start.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:15 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
agreed. anything more than 1100 degrees and you are looking at big money repairs. how many flats is your fuel turned up?

Old 02-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Blitzcraig
Junior User
Idk if its been turned up, I bought it two weeks ago. How can I tell? It does smoke a lot when first started.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Rollin.IH.Coal
Senior User
THEREEESSS YOUR SIGN^^^^

Old 02-09-2012, 08:46 AM
IDI guy
Elder User
Yup turn her down you'll be ok change the oil and check your intake manifold for excess motor oil.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Rollin.IH.Coal
Senior User
How do you clean the CDR or whatever. the tuna can

Old 02-09-2012, 09:41 AM
IDI guy
Elder User
Soak it in gas overnight I would guess carb cleaner would work good too. It gets gummed up with oil residue and will spit oil out instead of just venting your crank case gasses and letting the oil drain back into the engine

Old 02-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Phy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where are your pyro thermocouples mounted? When comparing numbers, it makes a huge difference...

Old 02-09-2012, 10:24 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IDI guy
Soak it in gas overnight I would guess carb cleaner would work good too. It gets gummed up with oil residue and will spit oil out instead of just venting your crank case gasses and letting the oil drain back into the engine
Soak it in gas if you don't like your CDR, yeah.

Soak it in kerosene is the proper thing to do. Gas will rupture the seals.

I am going to be the odd ball and say injection pump timing is your issue. A engine running that hot and only making 5 psi is a problem. You may be too advanced.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If your thermocouple is in the drivers side exhaust manifold near #8 (I put mine in the collector between the bend and flange) 1100 is a good number to hold, though you can go up to 1200 degrees for short stints, do not allow it to get to 1250 for any length of time, quick burst ok, don't hold it there!

Better off just keeping it below 1200 ...

Have you ever pulled a load ??
That is one of the best DIY methods to test&tune., underload, full boost, you should barely see a haze out the pipe, if you see black you're EGT's will climb and you need to turn the IP down a touch or cleanup the air in and air out paths! It's crying for more air.

And running around flat lander style slowing down and stomping on it (getting on a freeway) don't tell ya squat! You need to pull a long grade and make it work for a period of time, more time better accuracy.

Stopping to cool the EGT's is pointless, Reduce the fuel (let up a little on the go pedal), down shift if ya need, but keep on trucking! Keep that air flowing.

Next stop turn your IP down a tad.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 02-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Blitzcraig
Junior User
Why do people turn up the pump, for more power? This truck doesn't seem to have am abundance of power. Not that its lacking, its just not overly powerful. But the last Ford I owned was a supercharged 406 HP Lightning. The turbo gauge hardly ever moves off zero unless I floor it then 5 or 6 psi is the best it will do.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Phy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Turning up the pump adds more fuel. With a turbo adding more air, more fuel can be burned... Max power is achieved by having as much fuel as can be burned efficiently, within exhaust temp limits. As Festus said, 1200 degrees is a good limit, assuming an accurate pyrometer, with the thermocouple in the back of the exhaust manifold.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yup, More fuel means more heat, more heat means more power, but you have to have the oxygen to burn that fuel in the cylinder, not in the pipes raising EGT's ...

Don't know personally, though I understand the Hypermax is not the greatest Turbo package, it works ... It's not waste gated so you can't make it built boost at low RPM without over boosting at high RPM's. Thus the low boost numbers.

5 or 6 psi does really wake these trucks up compared to a N/A motor.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 02-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Blitzcraig
Junior User
Is Hypermax the stock turbo? It's a 93 the VIN says it was turbo from factory. I know that gauge isn't stock judging by how the installer cracked the dash putting it in.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Temperature