Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Senior User

jdhudall is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up 1999 F150 5.4 before and after bolt on upgrades

Hi I have a 1999 Ford F150 supercab 4x4 with 5.4 and auto trans with 3.73 gears and 315/75R16 tires 6" lift kit and have went from bone stock engine to modified for more power and better mpg! I tested the truck on the dyno when I bought it with 185,000 miles on the clock it had 197 hp at the wheels and 10mpg highway! I did a complete tune up with autolight XP Iridium plugs , hot shot Granatteli 60,000 volt coil packs, K&N cold air intake, summit shortie headers, e-fans, Mac underdrive pulley's, 3" magnaflow cat back single exhaust , throttle body spacer, Mac 75mm Throttle body, edge programmer, new fuel filter, changed all fluids front to back from differentials to antifreeze!
I had it on the dyno and pulled 295hp at the wheels on the first try! Then played with the edge prgrammer a little more and got it to pull 301hp at the wheels that is 100hp improvment from when I bought it! I know the truck needed a tune up when I bought the first thing I bought was the edge programmer and it was the best bang for the buck! It gives instant mpg and average mpg readings while you drive! I tested the truck on stock tune and was getting 10mpg at 55mph with cruise set then I set the programmer to #2 towing and performance tune and did the same test at 55mph and was getting 14mpg!
I kept testing it after each upgrade and had great results after tune up and exhaust work I was getting 16mpg. Then I did the cold air intake, TB spacer and got 17mpg! Then I put the e-fans on and underdrive pulleys and got an amazing 21mpg at 55mph! I just put the 75mm throttle body on and my mpg dropped to 17mpg but noticed a gain in throttle response an power but the idle also went up so I removed the TB and have been averaging 16mpg with mixed highway and city driving and on a clear wind free day on a flat highway I have seen 22mpg at 55mph at 65mph 19mpg!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:01 AM
Senior User

Louie3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks interesting. I may have to do some of those mods you have. I think different gears will help ya out. I had 3.55 and switched to 4.88 and wow did I notice the difference. Surprisingly my mpgs stayed the same guessing since I wasn't lugging around my truck. So with a 6" and all that extra win resistance I'd think about swapping gears
Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Senior User

Well the 3.73 gears seam to do pretty good with towing I pulled my 18' car trailer with a 1 ton dually pickup 100 miles with the OD off and got 13mpg loaded at 60mph not to bad towing 8,000 lbs! If I go any bigger on tires I would change to 4.10's or lower but I like the mpg now and might go down from the 315/75 R16 to a 305/75 R16 next time I need tires!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Posting Guru

robjs111 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What kind of power gains would u see what a set of Patriot Performance 5.4 heads?
Old 03-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Posting Guru

robjs111 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any other mods possible NA to better power? What is max power a 5.4 NA motor can produce?
Old 03-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Senior User

kidzstang is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've been thinking of putting electric fans on my '97 Expedition. It looks like you got 4 mpg out of electric fans and under drive pulleys. Any thought about what just the fans would have done? It looks like even a 2 mpg increase would only take about 5,000 miles to break even at today's gas prices.

Any issues with under drive pulleys? I'm not I want to go all techie with the programming and crap and wouldn't want to mess anything up in the engine.

Just for grins, can you tell us what the costs were for your improvements?

Thanks,
Old 03-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidzstang View Post
I've been thinking of putting electric fans on my '97 Expedition. It looks like you got 4 mpg out of electric fans and under drive pulleys. Any thought about what just the fans would have done? It looks like even a 2 mpg increase would only take about 5,000 miles to break even at today's gas prices.

Any issues with under drive pulleys? I'm not I want to go all techie with the programming and crap and wouldn't want to mess anything up in the engine.

Thanks,
I did a lot but the e-fans did give a nice 2 mpg gain anything you do to improve the performance should help the mpg! The better it runs and performs the less it lugs the engine trying to get going the more mpg you will save! The price of gas is not going to go down so if you plan on driving your truck for a while it is going to pay for itself doing anything to improve mpg!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Senior User

Quote:

Thanks,
The underdrive pulleys were easy to install after the fan and shroud were removed as far as problems none to report the pulley set I got was MAC underdrive pulleys kit so the cooling and charging pulleys keep the factory speed so no issues and it was $145 on ebay! The E-fans also on ebay they were used for $150 but summit racing has a single fan with shroud and its own thermostat that you set from 180-220 in the mustang section for the 5.0 and it fits perfect for $139 and you can put two of them side by side for extra cooling! I am a penny pincher and always looking for the best deal possible for my upgrades. Troyer performance has a dual fan kit with everything needed with adjustable thermostat for $500 or so but I found a used kit for my other truck on ebay from Troyer for $150 so shop around!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Senior User

That's for sure! I am in the process of changing out the o2 sensors and I also just changed out the idler and tensioner pulleys. The pulleys were probably giving quite a bit of drag since they were pretty bad. I'm excited to see where I am with the mpg now. I think I've lost about 2 to 3 mpg since the truck was new so I hope I can at least get it back to where it was.

Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhudall View Post
I did a lot but the e-fans did give a nice 2 mpg gain anything you do to improve the performance should help the mpg! The better it runs and performs the less it lugs the engine trying to get going the more mpg you will save! The price of gas is not going to go down so if you plan on driving your truck for a while it is going to pay for itself doing anything to improve mpg!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjs111 View Post
What kind of power gains would u see what a set of Patriot Performance 5.4 heads?
35-40 hp for stage 2 heads and 40-50hp for stage 3 heads
Old 03-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjs111 View Post
Any other mods possible NA to better power? What is max power a 5.4 NA motor can produce?
Well I think 350hp at the wheels wouldn't be to hard but the cost goes up the deeper you go into the engine performance heads would get close for my truck since I hit 301hp at the wheels already without heads. I am sure a good machine shop could pull some more power out by blueprinting and balance with port and polish, bore out the cylinders but for the cost of all that you could buy a supercharger and gain a lot more for less! If you did all of the above 900-1000 hp is possible there is a guy with a f150 lightning putting out 1100hp and runs 9's at 145 mph!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Senior User

which electric fans did you put on and where did you get them?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Senior User

Quote:
which electric fans did you put on and where did you get them?

Thanks
I bought them off ebay they are Pro form electric fan with shroud and adjustable thermostat for the mustang out of summit racing Part #PRO-67015 they come with mounting brackets and wiring instructions the mounting brackets attach to the top and bottom of the radiator
Old 03-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Senior User

ewalt98 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hey JD, I have some questions for you.

First, how do you like the shifting of the transmission in tow mode on the Edge? I have mine set to tow mode specifically for towing, but when not towing or carrying any weight, the shifts are much too hard under aggressive acceleration. Is the shifting different in the performance mode? I haven't changed mine since the one time I did try to change it, it wiped my PATS code.....

Second, how has the truck been since you first performed the upgrades? Is the milage pretty consistent, is the power still good. Have you run any 0-60 times with the Edge?

Thirdly, how do you like the exhaust sound with the headers and cat back? I would like to upgrade mine for the power, but don't care for loud exhaust or, and especially, for the drone at hwy speeds. I'm pretty sure the Magnaflows are pretty mellow, but it is nice to hear from an actual user.

Thanks
Eric
1985 Porsche 944 - DD if it doesn't snow
VW Westy/Triumph GT6 (resto mod in progress)
2003 Subi Forester - family car
Old 03-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Senior User

blackout150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You should remove the TB spacer and see what happens. I am willing to bet there will be no change. Biggest waste of money I ever spent.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:40 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150

Tags
1999, 2003, 4x4, 54, 99, auto, bolt, f150, ford, gears, headers, stud, trans, upgrades, wheel