General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Coleman lantern

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 05:05 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 930 Likes on 678 Posts
Agree Ted, these Coleman's take care of my need to create fire, and I can lite 'em in the backyard.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:14 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Going to burn both my Dietz and Kirkman over-night tonight in the wind outside, both at low-level.

Who knows, I may need them under my citrus later this fall/winter as smudge's.

If I need more, out will come the Colemans.

Pop

Old 11-07-2015, 11:45 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
funny you mention smudge's pop!, ive been looking for one in my price range but damn are they expensive!

friend had one of these when we were camping last year on the beach.... put out a nice heat and loved the "choofing" sound! he had it choked back and it ran clean and surprisingly hot considering it was on strait used motor oil! we opened it up once to see how hot it got and aside from the 4' flame out of the stack the whole stack was cherry red. seen some new ones of this style on ebay for north of 300 bucks!

Old 11-08-2015, 06:29 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Heck, if you know a sheet metal guy, those don't look too difficult to bend out. I remember using them occasionally when I went to school to keep the avocado orchard from freezing at SLO. Always kept one in the front yard to keep warm in the winter - used fuel oil.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:35 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
i know this s weeks after but, funny you mention sheetmetal! i had the idea pop into my head to build a smaller version. one that holds maybe2 gallons compared to 5 to 10 gallons.

tonight's light up, which is piggy backing on last nights light up of the 237...some rocky mountain koolaide and Coleman lantern....cleaning my bed and tool box up since both are a mess... lantern runs good on No. 2 diesel!

and some preheat shots, i like the preheat part with the kerosene burners!

Old 11-24-2015, 09:36 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Nice Justin! Converting a 220 to Kero is on my bucket list.

Thermos obsession continues...

Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2015, 09:39 AM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
not long after i ran out of diesel and refilled with kero, and i think it ran a bit brighter on kero than diesel. not shocking really, it was jetted for kero, but runs in a pinch on diesel and coleman fuel.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:46 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

I got some stuff at Home Depot called Kleen Heat. A lot less "kero" smell, in fact almost none at all.

Says here in the fine print that Coleman fuel isn't an appropriate fuel for kero lanterns.

YMMV

Pop

Old 11-25-2015, 04:13 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Kleen-Heat is good stuff, but almost 18 bucks a gallon. I save it for indoor use when the power goes out. When installed in a new lantern it will have almost no odor at all in the house. Once a lantern burns K1 and such it gets in the wick or something. Have a gimbal lantern for old timey camping and rendezvous and a fancy cottage lamp over the kitchen table. I had relatives in Minnesota who burned Kerosene for light (no electricity) and the house reeked of that stuff. BAD. If you're not used to it, it is nasty. (They weren't even poor, I think he was the distant uncle who died intestate and well, it would have been REALLY nice if he hadn't.)

Old 11-25-2015, 11:35 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

The jugs I bought were somewhat less pricey at $11, but there's only 120 ounces (instead of the 128 to a full gallon), so the price PER GALLON is a bit higher than the eleven bucks.

I use it like you, indoors only, or around the camp trailer and picnic table.

Last time I was in upstate Minnesota I bought some kero at the co-op, which they kept in bulk in the back room, and the jugs came back out to me full of red-dyed.

Since the dye will eventually clog wicks, I slowly use it up as fire starter fluid, instead.

Finding bulk clear kero is almost impossible any more, thanks to "bureaucrats who know better than you".

Years ago I was using Jet-A, but found that it has "bugs" in spite of added biocide. Talk about clogging up a wick (or any other parts, as well)!!!

Nasty tar, that bug poop!

Pop

Old 11-25-2015, 12:07 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm seeing a lot of nice ones!
I have a soft spot for old Coleman stoves and lanterns, as well as other brands of kero/spirit stoves. I will have to pull some of mine out and throw my hat in. Glad I am not the only one with a slight obsession for these things.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:03 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Says here in the fine print that Coleman fuel isn't an appropriate fuel for kero lanterns.

YMMV

Pop
yes Coleman fuel in a wick type kero lantern is bad news....

people have stated the 237's (designed to burn kero) are very capable of being dual fuel with little to no mods needed... the 200's and 242's and 220/228's (all designed to burn Coleman fuel) as far as i am aware just need the generator tip size changed accordingly to burn kero, and some change the fuel pickup and some don't to make them work better on kero.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:43 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Yes, of course, that is what I was thinking after having my Kirkman and Dietz out just the other day.

Or, should I just say, "I wasn't thinking"?

The only downside of running a Coleman on gas when jetted for kero is that it may burn brighter and hotter as a result of using energy at a greater-than-designed rate.

Good call, Justin!

Pop

Old 01-23-2016, 07:26 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Just ran across this site. I haven't been bitten yet by the wickie bug.

Home Page - Miles Stair's Wick Shoppe

Old 01-23-2016, 09:54 AM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Haven't forgotten to take pictures, I will try to do it today.

Do we have a camp stove thread?

Quick Reply: Coleman lantern