Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high amp alt

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 04:14 AM
88dually
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know if the 130's will work, i may have to go with bigger alt's. My inverter is 5000w running alot. A 2hp 30g air compressor. The winch is a 9000lb univ to go into trailer hitch's, dont know if it'll ever get used with this truck. Theres 3 set's of duall 1000w work flood lights that get used. Plus whatever creature comforts i wanna add in the interior besides extra fog, running, driving lights, rev camera, dvd player, may do dvd players in heat rest if i use different seats that can take them, 2 amps for stereo, 2 front heated seats (LMC kit), an a laptop. The 2 batt's on the frame are agm's so they can be mounted on their sides with no leaking. This is why i need it.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:17 AM
88dually
Elder User
Joey, go with a deep cycle batt for accessories, maybe 2 opptima yellow tops with a 130 alt u should be fine

Old 02-09-2012, 05:02 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 88dually
I dont know if the 130's will work, i may have to go with bigger alt's.
The 3G's can reliably put out 160A, with an upgraded rectifier.
But, you will need more belt.
At 200A they will start to have problems shedding enough heat, even with two fans.

With all that stuff you're looking to power you really should have a standalone generator like an R/V.
Let the alternator do the job it is meant for and save a bunch of money on an expensive inverter.
If you NEED to power all this with the truck's engine perhaps you should look into a PTO driven generator.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 AM
88dually
Elder User
I dont have the trans for a pto

Old 02-09-2012, 10:49 AM
FordOwnerJoey
Senior User
Joey, go with a deep cycle batt for accessories, maybe 2 opptima yellow tops with a 130 alt u should be fine
I dont hear good things about them optima batteries, esp for how expensive they are. My friend used to work at an auto parts store that sold them and they had more returns on them optima batteries than any other because the acid was eating the casing on them. the plastic casing wasn't strong enough for how strong the acid is. I dont know if they ever fixed this problem but I really dont feel like dropping 400 bucks on two new batteries.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:54 AM
SCRebel
Posting Guru
Well I am not sure about the prices where you're from. But here NAPA offers a 880 CCA battery for $105.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:59 AM
FordOwnerJoey
Senior User
Originally Posted by SCRebel
Well I am not sure about the prices where you're from. But here NAPA offers a 880 CCA battery for $105.
I just double checked the price on the yellow top optima batteries from advance auto and they're $190 each, my regular battery is about $124 (autocraft gold 65-N) besides my battery isnt all that old its only like 2 years old and puts out more that what its rated for, or at least did a year ago.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:33 AM
88dually
Elder User
The batt's have to match, size wise

Old 02-09-2012, 11:42 AM
FordOwnerJoey
Senior User
The batt's have to match, size wise
That makes sense

Old 02-09-2012, 12:04 PM
88dually
Elder User
I'd imagine 2 yr old an new will work together as long as the cca is the same

Old 02-09-2012, 06:09 PM
vroom9
Freshman User
I'm mid way through a 3g upgrade. My not so local U-pull junkyard had a half off sale last weekend so I got two. The donor vehicles were Windstars. I got the wide 8.25 inch version and it directly bolted into the bracket on my 93 F150 4x4 4.9L. There was a second set of unused mounting holes that fit perfect.

I needed to "clock" the alternator because the connector pointed inwards in the direction of the block. Not too hard to do, but it did need a little spray lube to break the iron core loose so it could be turned. You undo the three bolts that hold the alternator together and slightly separate the front from the middle and back part. Then turn the front with respect with the back and put the bolts back in. If it's too stubborn you might need to remove the front pully and get the front part of the case off to turn it.

I took a good part of the harness form the Windstar. It appears to only be 6 gauge wire. I'm redoing it with 4 gauge wire because I already have a good amount of it. I'd use 2 gauge if I didn't already have the 4 gauge. I'm also going to add a ground wire from the alt to the battery for good measure. The alternator has a spot for the ground wire.

Due to the slightly different mounting position and the larger size of the alternator pulley, my stock serpentine belt was a little too short. I happened to have one three steps longer and that is a bit too long. I think that a single step longer might work.

I kind of wonder is swapping to my smaller alt pulley would be a good idea to get more juice at idle.

I'm doing the 3g upgrade so I can run an electric fan. That's my next project after this alternator.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:16 PM
88dually
Elder User
When u switch pppulleys, watch how high u rev the motor, but i dont see why u couldnt swap them if the id an rib count if the same

Old 02-09-2012, 06:40 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Originally Posted by vroom9
Due to the slightly different mounting position and the larger size of the alternator pulley, my stock serpentine belt was a little too short. I happened to have one three steps longer and that is a bit too long. I think that a single step longer might work.
I kind of wonder is swapping to my smaller alt pulley would be a good idea to get more juice at idle.
I'm doing the 3g upgrade so I can run an electric fan. That's my next project after this alternator.
If you had used the 7" mounting and your old pulley the old belt WOULD fit.
I already posted the output curves and the gauges showing the idle output rpm's.
The 3G will be putting out more at idle than the 2G at speed.(those gauge rpm's show alternator shaft speed due to pulley ratio)
The Taurus fan has a large startup current but not so much to carry it.
IDK what electric fan you intend to use but your alternator didn't have a problem driving the fan when it was installed in the Windstar....
The battery is there to act as reserve for inrush.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:27 AM
vroom9
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
If you had used the 7" mounting and your old pulley the old belt WOULD fit.
I already posted the output curves and the gauges showing the idle output rpm's.
The 3G will be putting out more at idle than the 2G at speed.(those gauge rpm's show alternator shaft speed due to pulley ratio)
The Taurus fan has a large startup current but not so much to carry it.
IDK what electric fan you intend to use but your alternator didn't have a problem driving the fan when it was installed in the Windstar....
The battery is there to act as reserve for inrush.
I held a tape measure up to the mounting holes and it sure didn't seem like anything would line up at 7 inches. Doesn't really matter as about the belt as it is due for replacement anyway.

I pulled one of the fans from the windstar as well. It's a dual setup, but one of the two fan motors protrudes a bit too far and interferes with the belt. The one fan that I can use is rated at 2900 cfm. I might run it and see if I can get a smaller second fan.

The Windstar ran the fans in parallel off of a 50 amp fuse.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:21 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Originally Posted by vroom9
The Windstar ran the fans in parallel off of a 50 amp fuse.
Right.
You should have no problem with enough power.
It is just the surge of current that they have when starting.
Use a slow blow fuse and you should be fine.

I have the 8 1/4" alternator too.
It clears the bracket, and fits my stock V-belt.
I did have to put a 15mm machine bushing behind it.

Quick Reply: high amp alt